Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

SLIPKNOT: "5: The Gray Chapter" 10/21/14

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Slipknot Reveal Details of New Album ‘.5: The Gray Chapter’

Slipknot fans, the long wait is nearly over. The metal band’s fifth studio album -- their first in more than six years -- will be released Oct. 21 on Roadrunner Records.

Titled 5: The Gray Chapter, the new set is Slipknot's first since 2008's "All Hope is Gone,” which reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200, Rock, and Alternative Charts. And it marks the outfit's first release without founding bassist Paul Gray, who died in 2010 from an accidental overdose of morphine and fentanyl.

If the first two tracks from the Gray Chapter are anything to go by, Slipknot haven't mellowed with age. First single "The Negative One" dropped earlier this month. Its chilling companion video was directed by band member Shawn “Clown” Crahan, and has quickly generated more than 2.5 million individual hits on YouTube.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sgA7KIwKlOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A second track, "The Devil In I," is now online. Its audio-clip is closing-in on one million hits.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9wKw3oGb9-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

.5: The Gray Chapter Tracklisting:

1. "XIX"
2. "Sarcastrophe"
3. "AOV"
4. "The Devil In I"
5. "Killpop"
6. "Skeptic"
7. "Lech"
8. "Goodbye"
9. "Nomadic"
10. "The One That Kills The Least"
11. "Custer"
12. "Be Prepared For Hell"
13. "The Negative One"
14. "If Rain Is What You Want"

Special Edition Bonus Tracks

15. "Override" (Bonus Track)
16. "The Burden" (Bonus Track)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...e-gray-chapter
Old 08-26-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: SLIPKNOT: "5: The Gray Chapter" 10/21/14

As someone who was formerly a huge fan of this band, I almost literally could not give a fuck less what they're doing anymore. Both of those tracks are decent, nothing special, but I'm sure I'll give the proper album a spin or two.
Old 08-27-14, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
As someone who was formerly a huge fan of this band, I almost literally could not give a fuck less what they're doing anymore. Both of those tracks are decent, nothing special, but I'm sure I'll give the proper album a spin or two.

Did you not like "All Hope Is Gone" ??
Old 08-27-14, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

They still haven't announced replacements for Joey and Paul, have they?

I swear, in a five years, Slipknot will just be Corey singing, Sid fucking around with a turntable, and Sean beating a beer keg with a baseball bat.
Old 08-27-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I have to admit I've always been surprised at how many devoted fans this band has. From the first record they've sounded very one-dimensional and vanilla to me. These latest songs sound pretty weak IMO.
Old 08-27-14, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I have to admit I've always been surprised at how many devoted fans this band has. From the first record they've sounded very one-dimensional and vanilla to me. These latest songs sound pretty weak IMO.
Thanks for your contribution.
Old 08-27-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Did you not like "All Hope Is Gone" ??
It has a couple good tracks, but I just don't find myself going back to their music much anymore. They try way too hard to have an edge, and their members are only slightly more annoying than their fervent fans. It's all just a big turn off.
Old 08-27-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still like them, and I'm digging the new songs. I'll pick it up when it comes out.
Old 08-27-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Thanks for your contribution.
Maybe I should have been more direct - I'm curious to know what people like about these guys. What am I missing?

Is it the cool masks? Because musically, I've heard it done better by bands that came before and after them.
Old 08-27-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They make music I can dance to.

We're all wearing masks.

Diggin' the new tracks.
Old 08-27-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very profound.
Old 08-27-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Mushroomhead is a much better and talented band than Slipknot ever was.
Old 08-27-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^^ Better vocals for sure.
Old 08-28-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I liked up through Iowa, but haven't really cared for much since. I'll see if this one is any good, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 08-28-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Mushroomhead is a much better and talented band than Slipknot ever was.
Let's not get nuts here. They're both cut from the same cloth. Both have strengths and weaknesses; I'd be hesitant to say one is better than the other. Jim and Mick are both very talented guitarists, moreso than the Mushroomhead guys.
Old 09-02-14, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I would say the self titled album was a game changing album for metal. For whatever you feel about it, it was the first metal album in quiet awhile to become very popular with the mainstream with little mtv or radio play. Their live concerts during that time were infamous. I will say that that record will be in the top 100 metal albums of all time for quite some time. Iowa was a good follow up, but some of the lyrics were very cringe worthy (if you 555 then I'm 666). Maybe it was the jarring change between Iowa and Vol. 3, but I always hated that album save for a few songs. All Hope is Gone was decent, but nowhere near as fun as the first two. What I've heard so far from these two songs is leaning towards it being like All Hope is Gone.

Mushroomhead had a decent debut album, but have fallen so far to be a joke of themselves. If you have seen their new video you know what I mean. I was a fan at one time and even saw them in concert early in their careers and loved them. Now I couldn't care less. I always thought a better comparison to Slipknot during that time in the late 90s/early 2000s was Mudvayne who have put out consistently good albums.
Old 09-02-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mushroomhead had a decent debut album, but have fallen so far to be a joke of themselves. If you have seen their new video you know what I mean. I was a fan at one time and even saw them in concert early in their careers and loved them. Now I couldn't care less. I always thought a better comparison to Slipknot during that time in the late 90s/early 2000s was Mudvayne who have put out consistently good albums.

With Mushroomhead it was them getting screwed by the label and their management. When XX came out they were on Universal and the geniuses there had obviously signed them due to the Slipknot comparison but didn't know how to market them properly. Uh, yeah, no. I don't think Mushroomhead sucks right now in their current form - I own their latest release on vinyl and think it's neat that they now have 3 lead singers. JMann is back! They seem to be having fun and rocking out. I also like how they've decided to make the band an industry of sorts by selling their masks (and literally, the molds to their masks) directly to the funds. Hey, you gotta make money somehow being an independent.

Mudvayne is a really good band but I haven't kept up with them in years. I've seen all 3 bands live multiple times, though.
Old 09-02-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by beavis69
I would say the self titled album was a game changing album for metal. For whatever you feel about it, it was the first metal album in quiet awhile to become very popular with the mainstream with little mtv or radio play.
It might have been a game-changer in terms of what of what mainstream fans decided to like, but bands like Soulfly and Fear Factory were already doing what they did (and better) years before. I guess they were just in the right place at the right time.

I remember picking up the first two records when Iowa came out because I figured with that many people getting into them, there had to be something there. There wasn't, for me anyway. They just sound very generic to me.
Old 09-02-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

I like all of their albums and even like All Hope Is Gone more than most other people seem to. If this one is as good as that I will be happy. I just hope Rick Ruben and his crew aren't involved in the production/mastering. Vol 3 is one of the worst sounding albums ever put out.
Old 09-02-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I just hope Rick Ruben and his crew aren't involved in the production/mastering. Vol 3 is one of the worst sounding albums ever put out.
That does seem to be a common trait with his productions.
Old 09-02-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

It might have been a game-changer in terms of what of what mainstream fans decided to like, but bands like Soulfly and Fear Factory were already doing what they did (and better) years before. I guess they were just in the right place at the right time.

I remember picking up the first two records when Iowa came out because I figured with that many people getting into them, there had to be something there. There wasn't, for me anyway. They just sound very generic to me.
I agree Soulfly and Fear Factory, along with a few others, were doing it before. I think for Slipknot it was the imagery and the word of mouth. Kids felt like they were discovering something new. I can remember hearing it the first time while it was being passed around after soccer practice on someones discman.

I'm a little biased sometimes since Nu-Metal was my gateway into metal, so I still consider some of those bands my favorite, even when I recognize how over the top and goofy some of the releases were.
Old 09-02-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Soulfly was cool and I liked Fear Factory's concept of what each album was/is. Linchpin is my favorite song and that album was my first introduction to the band.
Old 09-02-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Soulfly was cool and I liked Fear Factory's concept of what each album was/is. Linchpin is my favorite song and that album was my first introduction to the band.
I know a lot of people checked out on FF after Digimortal due to the nu-metal influences but I still like that record a lot. Really the only record they've made that is just kind of meh is Transgression, but that was rushed.

Nothing beats Demanufacture though IMO.
Old 09-02-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know a lot of people checked out on FF after Digimortal due to the nu-metal influences but I still like that record a lot. Really the only record they've made that is just kind of meh is Transgression, but that was rushed.

Nothing beats Demanufacture though IMO.
I also liked their cover of Cars, with Gary Numan, even though Numan was in it more than I would have liked, given that it's supposed to be a cover. The production and crunch along with the synth tone rules on that track.
Old 10-10-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This leaked.

Curious to hear opinions on how good the album is. I know I'll be buying.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.