Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What was the longest turnaround for you to watch a recorded TV show on your DVR?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What was the longest turnaround for you to watch a recorded show on your DVR?
5-7 days
0%
7-14 days
6.67%
14-30 days
0%
2 months
3.33%
3 months
0%
4 months
3.33%
5 months
3.33%
6 months
3.33%
6 months to 1 year or longer
76.67%
If it's anything longer than a few days, chances are I'm not interested enough to watch
3.33%
I wait for comments & reviews & see if I have time. Not because of lack of interest.
0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

What was the longest turnaround for you to watch a recorded TV show on your DVR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

As the thread title states, what is the longest turnaround for you to watch a recorded TV program on your DVR? And why did you wait so long?

For me it was probably about 2-3 months tops.
Old 08-12-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What was the longest turnaround for you to watch a recorded TV show on your DVR?

I haven't gotten around to watching the finale of Lost yet, but I think I will check it out tonight. Can't wait to see all my questions finally answered!
Old 08-12-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What was the longest turnaround for you to watch a recorded TV show on your DVR?

Had a free HBO weekend for the True Detective premier, just watched it this month. Also documentaries seem to take forever to get off the DVR.
Old 08-12-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sleepy Hollow was about 7 months.
Old 08-12-14, 02:31 PM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

The latter part of House MD season 8.

It was the non-HD broadcast versions, saved for over a year. (Recorded them in non-HD, largely to save disc space on the dvr).
Old 08-12-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

I've had things for a couple years
Old 08-12-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I still haven't finished Parade's End, which I recorded in the spring of 2013. That's the oldest thing on my DVR.
Old 08-12-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I've got you all beat. I've got TV shows I taped on a VCR in the early 1980s that I still haven't watched. I've got episodes of "The Master," with Lee Van Cleef, from 1984 that I still haven't watched. For a couple of the recent TV on DVD Challenges on DVD Talk, I dug out some tapes from nearly that far back and finally watched them. For instance, in 2013 I watched an episode of "National Velvet," a 1960 TV series that I taped off TNT in 1989. So that's a period of 24 years from taping to finally watching. I also dug out episodes of "Power Rangers" from the mid-1990s that I taped and never watched and watched them for one or another of the challenges (TV on DVD, Action-Adventure, Sci-Fi). There are much longer gaps between taping and viewing in my recent viewing inventory.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-12-14 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-12-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I've got you all beat.
Even Alan Smithee?
Old 08-12-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Not long. I'm very OCD about clearing out the DVR. If its there more than two weeks I freak out.
Old 08-12-14, 03:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts

i have You're the Worst from last week. but, think i will keep it and will watch it. other than that, if more than a few days i want it gone!
Old 08-12-14, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between 3 to 5 months for certain movies and shows
Old 08-12-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I've got you all beat. I've got TV shows I taped on a VCR in the early 1980s that I still haven't watched. I've got episodes of "The Master," with Lee Van Cleef, from 1984 that I still haven't watched. For a couple of the recent TV on DVD Challenges on DVD Talk, I dug out some tapes from nearly that far back and finally watched them. For instance, in 2013 I watched an episode of "National Velvet," a 1960 TV series that I taped off TNT in 1989. So that's a period of 24 years from taping to finally watching. I also dug out episodes of "Power Rangers" from the mid-1990s that I taped and never watched and watched them for one or another of the challenges (TV on DVD, Action-Adventure, Sci-Fi). There are much longer gaps between taping and viewing in my recent viewing inventory.
I loved The Master, that was my introduction to ninjas.

I keep shows unseen on the DVR for years. I still need to make it through the second season of Misfits from several years ago for one example. I have shows recorded from channels not even around anymore. When G4 ran the Blade cartoon series, I got every single episode. I haven't watched beyond the first two episodes.
Old 08-12-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Still have some Breaking Bad final season to watch. If i dont watch it I can imagine it is still going on.
Old 08-12-14, 06:19 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

If we include mini series, I just recently got around to finishing off Mildred Pierce (HBO)...which I recorded when it originally aired, so over 3 years. I also took several years to watch an HD airing of The Thin Man.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 08-12-14 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-13-14, 07:13 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I have season passes for Veep and Girls, but so far have only watched 2-3 episodes from season one of each. Same for Newsroom, except I haven't watched any of them. I also still have 4 episodes left of Boardwalk Empire from last season.

Guess I pay for HBO to build up episodes of shows I don't actually watch...
Old 08-13-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recorded a bunch of movies when I got DirectTV and had all the movie channels for three months. Three years later, there were still a few movies I hadn't watched. As for regular TV, I'll often record these multi-part series on Discovery or History Channel and REALLY have to be in the mood to watch them. I suspect that "The 90s: The Last Great Decade" will sit on my DVD until the 20s.
Old 08-13-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

One-off shows - Esquire Network did a show called Women We Love, and there was a documentary on IFC or Sundance called The History of New Wave Music - can sit on my DVR for months, even years, before I get around to watching them. Same thing with shows I don't normally watch, but there's an episode I have some interest in, like when Life After People did a show about Atlanta (my former hometown), or when Burger Land came to Charlotte (my current city), or when Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern went to Chengdu, a place I really want to visit one day just for the food.

Sometimes I enjoy watching the commercials for these "old" shows, especially commercials for movies. I'll wonder if something like Let's Be Cops ever made it to DVD or even cable. Then there were the local commercials from our Fox affiliate making fun of Atlanta for their "little pond" (the Georgia Aquarium) while "we" were awarded the TOTALLY MUCH MORE AWESOMER NASCAR HALL OF FAME! (it's funny because Charlotte has a massive inferiority complex, and the Georgia Aquarium will probably have more paying visitors this month than the NASCAR HoF will have in all of 2014).

SEMI-RELATED: I was a big fan on the first couple of seasons of Bones (Kathy Reichs lived here and was a professor at UNCC, so there was a lot of local hype). I got 3-4 episodes in to season 3 but got busy" with other shows, and the remaining S3 episodes sat on my DVR for months. I tried watching them from time to time, but just... meh. I decided to give up on S3, and wait for the S4 premiere (the two-hour London episode). I turned it off about 20 minutes in because they'd turned Booth into a total idiot who a) didn't know the difference between tea and coffee; and b) had to be repeatedly told to drive on the other side of the road. I know Booth was never supposed to be "smart" compared to the academics... but when did he become a complete moron?
Old 08-13-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I almost always watch shows the night they air, just after the DVR records them. That said, I have several shows that are still sitting on there...such as the second half of last season's Revenge (lost interest, but I hate to delete it).
Old 08-13-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got several movies that have been waiting 4-5 months.

As for TV shows, I've got a couple that are a few episodes behind.
Old 08-13-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Currently, I have the last 7 episodes of last season's Bates Motel.
Old 08-14-14, 12:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just started The Blacklist a couple weeks ago. I'm about halfway through.

Haven't seen a single episode list and waiting on standby:

DaVincis Demons
Fargo
Gang Related
Halt and Catch Fire
Helix
Masters of Sex
Penny Dreadful

Plus there's plenty of random episodes and series that are currently running.