Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Michael C. Hall to Star in Stanley Kubrick's 'God Fearing Man' Miniseries

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 11:51 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Michael C. Hall to Star in Stanley Kubrick's 'God Fearing Man' Miniseries

Michael C. Hall is returning to the small screen.

Nearly a year after the Emmy nominee wrapped Showtime's Dexter after an eight-season run, Hall is set to star in Stanley Kubrick's unproduced drama God Fearing Man, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

God Fearing Man is being adapted for television by British screenwriter Stephen R. Clark and tells the true story of Canadian minister Herbert Emerson Wilson, who went on to become one of the best safecrackers and most successful American bank robbers in the early 20th century. Hall will star as Wilson and executive produce the drama, which was first put into development as a potential series at independent studio Entertainment One in August 2012. The project will be produced as a miniseries, with eOne shopping it to networks.

eOne is producing the drama in association with Philco Films' Steve Lanning (The Secret Garden, The World of Eddie Weary) and Philip Hobbs, who worked with Kubrick for more than 15 years on projects including Full Metal Jacket. Michael Rosenberg and Adam Blumberg will oversee on behalf of the studio. Bill Kelman will executive produce, with eOne handling worldwide rights to the series in all media.

"Kubrick’s God Fearing Man presents a larger-than-life story with a complicated protagonist who undergoes a radical transformation. We knew we had to secure a leading man with the immense talent and charisma needed to carry the project, and we were dedicated to putting in the diligent time and effort to find the perfect fit,” said Michael Rosenberg, eOne Television’s exec vp U.S. scripted television. “We cannot be more pleased to have Michael on board, who has time and again demonstrated an uncanny ability to portray captivating characters who must grapple with fundamental internal struggles.”

Hall earned five lead actor in a drama series Emmy nominations for his portrayal of Dexter Morgan, the serial killer with a code on Showtime's Dexter — which he also exec produced — as well as one nomination for his co-starring turn on HBO's Six Feet Under. Since Dexter wrapped last year, Hall has remained busy with indie film Cold in July and Broadway's The Realistic Joneses. He's also attached to adapt Matthew Specktor's American Dream Machine for Showtime with former Dexter showrunner Scott Buck attached.
Meanwhile, Showtime remains mum on a potential Dexter spinoff, which network president David Nevins said would have to involve Hall.
Hall is repped by UTA, Authentic Talent and Peikoff Mahan.
Old 08-12-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Michael C. Hall to Star in Stanley Kubrick's 'God Fearing Man' Miniseries

Isn't Kubrick dead?
Old 08-12-14, 08:25 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

It's one of his unproduced scripts.
Old 08-12-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Kubrick wrote a whole season of a TV show that never got produced? Cool!
Old 08-13-14, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Kubrick wrote a whole season of a TV show that never got produced? Cool!
It's a movie that never got made. It's being turned into a mini-series.

There's a couple of other Kubrick scripts being worked on, one into a TV Movie and another into a theatrical film.
Old 08-13-14, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like they might be angling for a Walter White sort of character here.
Old 08-13-14, 08:10 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I remember hearing about this script a while back and always being intrigued by it. Will be curious to see how it plays out. Hall seems like a decent choice for this.
Old 08-13-14, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

This sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing MCH play someone other than Dexter. He's a great actor but had to act around some shit writing the last few years. Then I think he phoned it in a little bit at the end.

I'm curious to know what Kubrick would think of this. Was this something he was working on and didn't get a chance to finish? Or was it a script he was working on but didn't like enough to see get made? I always wondered the same thing after every posthumous Tupac album.
Old 08-13-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Sounds pretty interesting to me. I like Michael C. Hall as an actor despite not thinking too highly of Dexter as a series anymore. I'll probably check this out.