Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016, D: David Green)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadline
‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Sequel Underway; Bay To Return
By ANITA BUSCH | Sunday August 10, 2014 @ 8:17am

On the strength of the $65M-plus domestic opening of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Paramount announced this AM that a sequel is underway with Michael Bay steering the production once again. The project from Nickelodeon Movies will bow on June 3, 2016. Bay will produce alongside his Platinum Dunes partners Andrew Form and Brad Fuller, with Galen Walker and Scott Mednick. Screenwriters Josh Appelbaum & André Nemec (Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol) are again coming aboard to write the sequel and will also receive an exec producing credit. It’s not clear if Jonathan Liebsman will again direct. Kudos to Paramount’s marketing team led by Josh Greenstein — talk about negotiating from a place of strength.

The date for the sequel will come the same weekend as Sony is scheduled to bow the Jonah Hill/Seth Rogen comedy Sausage Party (Ugh, that title … must we?) and a week after Disney’s Alice in Wonderland and Fox’s next X-Men installment, Apocalypse.

The surprise box office hit bowed in 17 markets internationally this weekend to take in an estimated $28.7M (final figures will be out tomorrow). So its worldwide total is around $97.3M, depending on today’s grosses. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been playing well both during the family moviegoing matinees and the older 25-to-35 demo that pushes into evening and late-night showings. All told, this means Paramount and Bay have launched another franchise this summer after kicking it earlier with a gonzo $95.7M opening for Transformers: Age of Extinction. It’s been a Michael Bay summer for the studio. Some have called the latest Turtles revamp Transformers with Turtles.

“Launching a new take on the Turtles into the feature film world was a daunting task because as fans of them ourselves, we felt a great responsibility to ensure audiences were going to experience everything they loved about the Turtles, while also getting to see them brought to life in a way they had never been seen before,” said Adam Goodman, President of Paramount’s Film Group in a statement this AM. “The result exceeded our high expectations and the response to the film is beyond great, making it all the more fun to get started on the continuation of their story.”
Old 08-11-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II (2016) - News, Cast, Rumors

Thats a pretty quick tunraround in two years. I hope its enough to make it good. I hope they find a way to include Casey Jones, and Baxter Stockman.
Old 08-11-14, 12:20 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I can feel my shell tightening.
Old 08-11-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe we can get a Transformers and TMNT crossover
Old 08-12-14, 06:29 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. More mediocre shit.
Old 08-12-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

There is actually a writer at Deadline with that name?
Old 12-04-14, 09:28 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

“Earth to Echo” director David Green is in talks to direct “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2,” sources confirm.

Jonathan Liebesman directed this summer’s “Turtles” pic, which grossed $478 million worldwide, but Paramount wanted to take a new approach and decided to open the director search. Liebsman would of been unable to direct on such short notice anyway has he he is currently directing the 10 part event series “Shannara.”

Michael Bay is producing along with his Platinum Dunes partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form. Josh Applebaum and Andre Nemec are penning the script.

Plot details are unknown at this time, and neither is it known who will return from the original pic, though Megan Fox and Will Arnett are expected to reprise their roles.

The Turtles franchise is one of Paramount’s top properties following its success this summer — so much so that Paramount dated the sequel for 2016 before even locking down a director or cast.

As for Green, the job is a huge win for the director who, prior to “Earth to Echo,” was known more for his short films including “Dial M for Murder” and “New Romance.” Paramount is typically careful about budgets and likes to work with directors who can make the most out of what they have to work with, as Green did on “Echo,” which cost only $13 million to make.

Paramount had no comment.

Green is repped by WME, Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment and attorney Matthew Wallerstein .
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/te...or-1201371066/
Old 12-04-14, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Thats a pretty quick tunraround in two years. I hope its enough to make it good.
It was expected. I remember when William Fichtner was cast, it was mentioned he signed a three movie deal.
Old 12-04-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unconfirmed rumor: this film will attempt to be a bigger piece of shit than the first.
Old 12-05-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Will they retcon Fichtner back into being Shredder? You can hear his voice as Shredder in the French trailer.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xjR4uHW1J_s?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Or will they at least explain why Splinter seemed so familiar with Shredder despite having never met him before in this continuity?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZsqLXnMlQA0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-05-14 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-05-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

The 2014 film is a total piece of shit and I really can't see myself interested in a sequel unless it goes in a pretty different direction. I don't expect that to happen with the success the first film had though.
Old 12-05-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

remember this awesomesauce?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z-KhoSo9Xh0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-05-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
The 2014 film is a total piece of shit and I really can't see myself interested in a sequel unless it goes in a pretty different direction. I don't expect that to happen with the success the first film had though.
I've only seen bits and pieces of the 2014 movie but must admit I have liked what I've seen. The turtles' personalities were spot on and I liked the fight choreography. However, I have issues with the messed up origin (don't mind their being lab animals but hate that they have zero connection to the Foot Clan).
Old 12-05-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I've only seen bits and pieces of the 2014 movie but must admit I have liked what I've seen. The turtles' personalities were spot on and I liked the fight choreography. However, I have issues with the messed up origin (don't mind their being lab animals but hate that they have zero connection to the Foot Clan).
The characters' personalities aren't the problem. If you want a film with anything that resembles a decent story look elsewhere. The origin changes were fucking stupid too.
Old 12-05-14, 08:36 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Putting the turd back in turtles
Old 12-05-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
The characters' personalities aren't the problem. If you want a film with anything that resembles a decent story look elsewhere. The origin changes were fucking stupid too.
But April had them as pets! Which she somehow forgot. And she fed them pizza, so that is the logical reason why they enjoy it.

God, every single line of that script was painful.
Old 12-06-14, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by islandclaws
But April had them as pets! Which she somehow forgot. And she fed them pizza, so that is the logical reason why they enjoy it.

God, every single line of that script was painful.
I just remember watching it in theaters and being so disappointed with the story. I literally felt like nothing happened the entire film. It just seemed like action sequence after action sequence but nothing really tying the film together. It was honestly one of the most forgettable things I've seen recently and I'm okay with that. I didn't expect a heavy story from a film aimed mostly towards kids but this was so dumbed down that it was pathetic.
Old 12-06-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay I'm watching the first one and... April is an idiot. She's actually the worst character in the movie and it's because she's written like Sam in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. The same spastic delivery and everything. I love the turtles themselves but April drags the film down. And I can't even blame Megan Fox at all. No one could have done anything with the character as written.

EDIT: Okay, Splinter in this movie is far too intimately familiar with the Shredder, Sacks, and the Foot Clan to be explained away as simply being a lab rat. I can buy the lab experiment to excuse his heightened intelligence and exposure to the Ooze. But the way he talks about Shredder, they would have to know each other.

In the sequel they better take a page from the X-Men comics and say that Splinter, much like Xavier, was not entirely honest with his students about what was really going on. Then they can bring in a version of the Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki/Nagi backstory and retcon that Ninjistsu book bullshit.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-06-14 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-06-14, 10:32 PM
Banned

I like the origin in the IDW comic series. It's very different from the original origin, but it works better to explain how they can know ninjitsu and talk and stuff.

In the IDW origin,
Spoiler:
Reincarnation is real. Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki lived hundreds of years ago in feudal Japan. Yoshi has four kids, and Saki kills the whole family. They end up reincarnated in the present day as Splinter and the four turtles. That explains how they can know ninjitsu and stuff since they were already ninjas in feudal Japan. Saki is still alive in the present day because he has some kind of mystical magic stuff that basically makes him immortal.
Old 12-06-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer
I like the origin in the IDW comic series. It's very different from the original origin, but it works better to explain how they can know ninjitsu and talk and stuff.

In the IDW origin,
Spoiler:
Reincarnation is real. Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki lived hundreds of years ago in feudal Japan. Yoshi has four kids, and Saki kills the whole family. They end up reincarnated in the present day as Splinter and the four turtles. That explains how they can know ninjitsu and stuff since they were already ninjas in feudal Japan. Saki is still alive in the present day because he has some kind of mystical magic stuff that basically makes him immortal.
That sounds way too convoluted and yet it also seems more logical than what happened in this movie. Hell, they may as well use that backstory in the sequel. It'd explain why Splinter knows way too much. For instance, given what Sacks told her, I could get April figuring out that Sacks' adoptive father is none other than the Shredder but how did Splinter know all that? It's bad enough he knows that Shredder is the leader of the Foot Clan with no explanation whatsoever.

It also feels like a huge chunk was cut from the movie to explain Sacks' motivation. First off, why were the Foot stealing all those chemicals? Couldn't Sacks just buy them since he was filthy rich? And if he was filthy rich, why did he want to do this mass murder plot with an endgame of making him filthy rich? The only way to explain that away is that he somehow blew through his fortune and this was all a desperate attempt to get out of the red ASAP.
Old 12-07-14, 06:17 PM
Banned

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/...inja-turtles-2

The producer says Bebop and Rocksteady will be in the sequel.
Old 12-07-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trying hard to bring in those old-school fans who scoffed at the first, eh?

No dice.
Old 12-07-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm usually someone that can find some entertainment in even shitty movies, but I thought the first Ninja Turtles was particularly bad. I don't have much faith in a sequel, but is it sad that Bebop and Rocksteady, or even Krang, would totally sell me?
Old 12-07-14, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. Yes, it is.
Old 12-07-14, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm usually someone that can find some entertainment in even shitty movies, but I thought the first Ninja Turtles was particularly bad. I don't have much faith in a sequel, but is it sad that Bebop and Rocksteady, or even Krang, would totally sell me?
Funny enough, Bebop and Rocksteady were intended to be in the first one but were purposefully withheld for the sake of a sequel.

I've also been hearing that there are plans to include Dimension X in the sequel (apparently an Utrom is wielding a sword in the Japanese banner that Sacks shows April). They also sort of hinted at Usagi Yojimbo when Sacks said they were originally going to test the mutagen on rabbits.

I'm fine with going with Dimension X, especially since April mentioned that the Mutagen was alien in origin (during one of her flashbacks). My gripe is that it's obvious Sacks was originally the Shredder and he and Splinter were meant to know one another far more intimately than the finished film implied. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they were going to pull a Swamp Thing and explain that Splinter absorbed the consciousness of April's father during the lab fire.

Also, why did April drop Splinter and the Turtles down a sewer drain? If she was trying to save them, she would have taken them home. A better explanation would be that she scooped them up in a glass container and fell when she got out. The container shattered and the Turtles and Splinter would fall down the drain.

There's actually a very good movie buried there. It's just that it's obvious it went through several rewrites (probably while shooting) and some last minute editing and reshoots/pickups.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.