Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Online Store Returns -- Paying Out of Pocket for Return Shipping

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is more of a general question. I have a BN.com return and I'm having to pay return shipping on the item. I've only had items replaced from Amazon over the years so this is new to me. Is this standard policy for online stores, or just Barnes & Noble?
Old 08-06-14, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Online Store Returns -- Paying Out of Pocket for Return Shipping

It depends. Was this an error on the part of B&N? If so, they should send you a prepaid label. They did that for me just recently.
Old 08-06-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it is their fault(defective item, wrong item, etc), then they should pay for the return shipping charge. You can return a B&N online order to a B&M store within 14 days with the packing slip.
Old 08-06-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
If it is their fault(defective item, wrong item, etc), then they should pay for the return shipping charge. You can return a B&N online order to a B&M store within 14 days with the packing slip.
Maybe I'll just do that then. Return shipping will end up eating 1/3 of the cost of the refund. Thanks!
Old 08-06-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I've only ever had to go out of pocket once and it was for an Amazon UK return that ended up costing almost $20 to send back to them. They ended up reimbursing me for the amount once they received the package.
Old 08-06-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I had to call the 1-800 # to confirm I was within that 14 day window (I was). I just got back from the store and it was a huge ordeal. The system would only allow store credit, because their computers weren't set up to offer refunds for online items at this time (?). I really needed the money back, so the cashier figured out a way to refund the items as non-receipt returns and got the money back on my card.

The guy on the phone said it was in my best interest to return to the store as well, so I don't know what the problem was. Needless to say next time if I'm buying something from B&N I'm not 100% sure I'm going to keep I'll just pass.
Old 08-07-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I've only done returns with Amazon by dropping off packages at UPS. No return shipping charge for me.

How much does UPS charge to come to your house to pick up the package? Or they only charge if you make an appointment? If so, how much is it?
Old 08-09-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like that B&N location doesn't know what they're doing. I've done in-store returns at my 2 local stores and whether returns w/refund, or exchanges, they've always gone fairly smoothly.

I actually took a DVD and a book to exchange on Wednesday the 6th (the DVD was not in it's original shrink and the book was noticeably banged up on 3 corners), and it went well and the cashier ordered me another of each.
Old 08-11-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I ordered the wrong item from Amazon, so they told me I had to pay for return shipping since it wasn't their fault. That's the only time I've had to pay for shipping back to those guys.