Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Why so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Why so cheap?

Climbing a Few of Japan's 100 Famous Mountains - Volume 1: Mt. Daisetsu (Mt. Asahidake) Paperback – December 5, 2013

1 customer review
See all 2 formats and editions

Kindle
$0.00 Subscribers read for free $3.28 to buy
Paperback
$2.82 2 Used from $16.05 8 New from $2.82

Buy New
$2.82

List Price: $15.78
Save: $12.96 (82%)

How can they sell $15.78 books for an 82% discount?

I was looking at mountain climbing photo books and found this one. The Search Inside the Book images are nice and the authors have a complete PDF of it available for viewing on their website. I don't understand how Amazon can discount this so heavily?!
Old 08-03-14, 07:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Why so cheap?

I'm not sure but fwiw all ten of these volumes have been free on the Kindle at points over the last year.
Old 08-03-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Trevor, I have all ELEVEN volumes for Kindle and wonder if I should get the print edition of this volume for a coffee-table book. Wonder if over time Amazon is going to offer all of the volumes at this super low price?! Who knows, eh? It'd be nice to have a crystal ball.
Old 08-12-14, 03:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm not sure but fwiw all ten of these volumes have been free on the Kindle at points over the last year.
I do not think what it was!
Old 08-12-14, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I downloaded three of the volumes when they were free. You should try them, danwiz--I think you'd like them.
Old 08-12-14, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have to get either an iPad or a Kindle, apparently.
Old 08-13-14, 05:47 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidh777
I downloaded three of the volumes when they were free. You should try them, danwiz--I think you'd like them.
I'm a tad confused about this thread. Aren't all these books by Dan? Am I missing the point here?
Old 08-13-14, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by benedict
I'm a tad confused about this thread. Aren't all these books by Dan? Am I missing the point here?
I think you understand completely. What I don't understand is why the OP hasn't been suspended/banned. Has the self promotion policy changed?

What's even douchier is the OP pretending like these aren't his books!!
Old 08-13-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Regardless of whether they're be me or somebody else with the same name - the original question in post #1 still stands - why and how can Amazon sell the book so cheap?
Old 08-13-14, 03:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tangent

Originally Posted by auto
[...] Has the self promotion policy changed? [...]
Well... there was a change about a year ago when we pulled together something based on member feedback and some new thinking from IB.

There's a thread about it in Feedback here.

I guess the relevant part of it reads thusly:
[...]As far as individual members telling others about a CD they made, or a short film they worked on, or whatever, as long as it's small-time like that, for the most part we should be able to live with it. It sounds like good community camaraderie. When you have friends on a forum you'd like to be able to tell them about something cool that you’re personally involved in. However, bumping threads during the season for buying your book or your CD (or whatever) is seen as taking a step too far. When it butts up against advertisers' interests, or DVDTalk's interests, there's the line. Since DVDTalk has a very high-traffic review blog section, links to similar blogs are probably over the line, for instance.
I'm thinking that, because Dan mostly tells us all when the e-books are sold for free or at low cost on Amazon, we it'd be tough to say that he is trying to profit as such.

But any backdoor methods of self-promotion might be regarded by some as going against the spirit of the new more liberal rules. We'll see.

I try to be quite relaxed about these things but I can also see the point of view that testing the rules - or the enforcement thereof - might encourage others &/or lead to confusion or, heaven forfend, even a repeat of the Great DVDTalk Meltdown of 2013.
Old 08-14-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm fine with self promotion, and think it should be allowed. However, I think it's ridiculous and somewhat childish to post a thread pretending to be about amazon's pricing strategy when it's really just a thinly veiled excuse to point users towards your book to drive sales. Just be honest for christ sakes.

benedict writes: all things considered, I think it best that we keep the conversation "pure" so, to this end, I've copied the meat of Dan's original post to a new thread. Hopefully the chances of him receiving the answer to his question will be increased by this new focus.

Last edited by benedict; 08-15-14 at 01:31 AM.