Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

VHS recordings of TV shows

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VHS recordings of TV shows

Earlier today, I was talking with my mom. My parents have been going through old stuff that they don't or rarely use anymore. About a year ago, she gave away dozens of VHS movies to my aunt's family. My aunt and her family have a vacation cabin and they have a DVD/VHS combo player there and they have been enjoying watching VHS of older movies. My mom is taking family videos in to be converted into DVD soon. She then mentioned finding VHS recordings of TV shows. Most of them were recordings of series finales of shows like Cheers, Seinfeld and other shows that ended in the 90s or early 00s. I'm just curious if a lot of people recorded series finales or other episodes of shows before TV on DVD and other media forms.

Last edited by writer106; 08-02-14 at 09:33 PM. Reason: edited to add a word
Old 08-02-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: VHS recordings of TV shows

The only TV series I ever recorded was Seinfeld. I still have the final episode (including the original commercials, bumpers, and Tonight Show afterwards) somewhere.

I had a relative that taped the first 4 seasons of The Simpsons at the height of heir popularity. Unfortunately I don't have those tapes anymore, but before the DVDs I had compiled my own list of syndication edits with the tapes versus what was playing on CBC or my local Fox station every night.
Old 08-02-14, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 433 Likes on 297 Posts

Yes I remember taping all of the original Star Trek episodes... I kept the tapes for nostalgia long after getting the DVDs.
Old 08-02-14, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the entire run of Hardcastle & McCromick on VHS back when it was being rerun on the Family Channel. No other way to have them then. Now I have them on DVD.

Haven't played a bought/or taped to save VHS tape in probably 10 years. Up to 3 years ago, I had mine hooked up just to record shows I was going to no be home for. No DVR. once I watched it, I'd record over it. After I moved, I never hooked it up.
Old 08-02-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I taped all five seasons of Babylon 5 plus the movies. It has been many years since I watched it in that medium, though.
Old 08-02-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I tapped a few select shows over the years. I stopped around 2001 when I saw that Tv shows would make their way to DVD at some point so there was just no point plus VHS took up far too much room.
Old 08-02-14, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have boxes of classic series Doctor Who VHS, recorded off my local PBS station, stashed away somewhere.
Old 08-03-14, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

^ Ditto.
Old 08-03-14, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I mostly taped special episodes like series finales of favorite shows or if a channel was running a marathon of a favorite show or whatever. I taped a lot of movies back in the day too. I rarely bought VHS tapes because they always seemed expensive and the only place with a decent selection was Sam Goody.
Old 08-03-14, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I rarely bought VHS tapes because they always seemed expensive and the only place with a decent selection was Sam Goody.
Yeah, during the VHS era I had tons and tons of tapes recorded off of premium channels. I can count on my two hands the amount of actual store-bought tapes I had, with most of them being gifts (since they were nearly 20 bucks a pop).

I've always been a movie/TV guy, but my collecting didn't start until 2000 when I got my first DVD player.

Last edited by My Other Self; 08-03-14 at 01:15 PM. Reason: for posterity
Old 08-03-14, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Yeah, during the VHS era I had tons and tons of rapes recorded off of premium channels. I can count on my two hands the amount of actual store-bought tapes I had, with most of them being gifts (since they were nearly 20 bucks a pop).
Long live the new flesh!
Old 08-03-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,201 Likes on 2,066 Posts

I'm shocked that Alan Smitthee has not posted in this thread yet! I'm sure he's got boxes and boxes of old VHS tapes stored away...you know, to show future generations.
Old 08-03-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father used to tape almost everything and he built a pretty big library. Though a lot of the stuff has appeared on DVD (Perry Mason,Matlock,Murder She Wrote,Seinfeld). Alot has not. He has the complete series of LA Law, Dharma and Gregg, and John Doe. That's all I can remember off the top of my head, but I'm sure there is a lot more. Some stuff may never see the light of day on an official release.

I taped Newhart, Greatest American Hero and Riptide on SP. 2 eps. per tape (5/Newhart). I used to purge commericals, which in retrospect, I wish I had not done. It got expensive, but I enjoyed it. I guess the last holdout of things I taped is Newhart, which is looking to eventually be released on DVD in totality. But it's neat to have the original TV intros and "coming next week" promos. I wish some of that stuff would make it onto the DVDs. I think the original Star Trek releases (2/DVD) did that. Maybe the season sets did too, but I've never seen them.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 08-03-14 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-03-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a ton of old VHS tapes of movies and TV shows. I have all of The Sopranos on tape.
I still have a VCR/DVD combo, so I can't bear to throw them out yet, even though I haven't used it in a couple of years.
Old 08-03-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Yeah, during the VHS era I had tons and tons of rapes recorded off of premium channels.
Freudian slip?
Old 08-03-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I have tons of Late Night with David Letterman on VHS, and no player to play them on
Old 08-03-14, 12:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I still have a box or two of MST3K tapes, including a couple Turkey Day marathons.
Old 08-03-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

In the late 90's or early 2000's I recorded an April Fools day Tex Avery marathon off the Cartoon Network.
Old 08-03-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got like 30 tapes in the basement filled with WCW Monday Night Nitro's.
Old 08-03-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Yeah, during the VHS era I had tons and tons of rapes recorded off of premium channels. I can count on my two hands the amount of actual store-bought tapes I had, with most of them being gifts (since they were nearly 20 bucks a pop).

I've always been a movie/TV guy, but my collecting didn't start until 2000 when I got my first DVD player.
I hope you mean you recorded lots of Lifetime Network movies back in the day.
Old 08-03-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I recorded every episode of The Wonder Years and Hope & Gloria.

I still have them but can't watch them (no VCR).
Old 08-03-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Freudian slip?
Old 08-03-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I used to record a lot of different TV shows: The Simpsons, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Futurama, Dr. Katz, The Tick (animated). I used to watch those tapes so much. Once things finally started to find their way onto DVD, I quit. It really was a lot of work and took up a lot of space. I'm happy I don't deal with that anymore. That being said, I don't watch old episodes on DVD like I did those VHS tapes.
Old 08-03-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm hesitant to buy the expensive box sets of Power Rangers because I taped so many episodes over the past 20 years. Yes, it'll save (lots of) space and yes, they'll be more easily accessible and look much better in quality and have no commercials. But still, I have practically all of them already and I do watch them. Same with Pokémon.

I did buy box sets of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z despite taping them off Cartoon Network because the box sets came with the uncut Japanese-language versions, which I value more than the cut English dubs.

I'm still debating whether to spring for the Sailor Moon box sets. At least I'll get the Sailor Stars season, since that never aired in the U.S.
Old 08-03-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

I still have my VHS tapes of all of Twin Peaks and all nine season of The X-Files that I recorded from TV.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.