Reload this Page >

Extant (S1E04) -- "Shelter" -- 7/30/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-30-14, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

MOLLY ESCAPES TO A REMOTE ISLAND WITH HER FAMILY WHILE BEING HUNTED BY SPARKS AND THE AGENCY, ON "EXTANT," AT ITS NEW TIME, WEDNESDAY, JULY 30 AT 10:00 PM

Academy, Golden Globe and Emmy Award Winner Louis Gosset, Jr. Guest Stars as Quinn, Molly's Father

"Shelter" - After Sparks attempts to quarantine Molly, she and her family seek refuge on a remote island with her estranged father, Quinn, on EXTANT, at its new time, Wednesday, July 30 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. When the agency closes in on their whereabouts, Ethan is exposed to grave danger. Meanwhile, Yasumoto experiments with a strange and deadly substance. Academy, Golden Globe and Emmy Award winner Louis Gosset, Jr. guest stars as Quinn, Molly's father.

SERIES REGULARS:

Halle Berry (Molly Woods)
Goran Visnjic (John Woods)
Pierce Gagnon (Ethan Woods)
Hiroyuki Sanada (Hideki Yasumoto)
Michael O'Neill (Alan Sparks)
Grace Gummer (Julie Gelineau)
AND:
Camryn Manheim (Sam Barton)

GUEST CAST:

Louis Gossett, Jr. (Quinn)
Maury Sterling (Gordon Kern)
Kirk B.R. Woller (Sheriff)

WRITTEN BY: Greg Walker

DIRECTED BY: Paris Barclay

Episode 4 of 13

Moves to 10pm ET/EP starting tonight. Probably doesn't matter since noone here watches this live anyways.

Previous Threads:

Episode 3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-23-14-a.html

Episode 2
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-16-14-a.html

Episode 1
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-09-14-a.html
Old 07-31-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts
Re: Extant (S1E04) -- "Shelter" -- 7/30/14

(Accidentally posted this in last week's thread. I'll copy/paste it here)

This week's episode was bad. The characters make such stupid decisions:

"We're on the run--where should we go so they can't find us? I know, let's go spend a couple of days with my Dad! They'll never think to look for us there!"

and

"My pregnant wife is out there alone looking for our lost son. I really need to go find them. But first I'm going to punch this cop because he called my robot son a machine."

Old 07-31-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Agree. My least favorite episode this season.

As for the ratings, they are nothing to get excited about, but final numbers came out and it did win the 10pm timeslot.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...d-down/288894/
Old 07-31-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

My guess is that this one gets renewed, CBS has definitely invested time and energy into it. They'll hope it finds an audience through streaming or whatever.
Old 07-31-14, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
My guess is that this one gets renewed, CBS has definitely invested time and energy into it. They'll hope it finds an audience through streaming or whatever.
It's not certain, but the streaming deal CBS has with Amazon Prime for this show will probably help it come back. That money is covering part of the production costs. But again, that's pure speculation right now. The ratings are nowhere near as impressive as Under the Dome's 1st season.
Old 08-01-14, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
My guess is that this one gets renewed
I haven't really thought about renewal until you mentioned it here. I've just taken it as a one-shot limited series. So in a perfect world, the expectation is that Halle Berry would come back every summer and continue this story? That's not very appealing on the surface. Things like this play out better if they just consider it 9-10 hours instead of 2 hours for a movie. Maybe a desire to have this potentially run longer is causing a bit of a pacing slowdown.

At moments, it felt like watching another season of Helix (for better or worse).

Louis Gosset, Jr's character needed more attributes. Abusive, drunk, gambling addict, physician doesn't cover enough.

I'm starting to lose a bit of enthusiasm about the show (think 7-8 to 6-7). Cellar Door's commentary is spot on. Still, I find it more enjoyable than S1 of Under The Dome (I haven't watched S2 of that show). But if it reaches a point where I'm not actively enjoying it anymore, I'll drop it just like I dropped The Leftovers. There are other things out there to watch.
Old 08-01-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Under The Dome's second season is madcap hilarity. This show does feel a lot like Helix, even sharing an actor with that show. That does not bode well. While Extant hasn't been very good so far, it has the actors in place to turn things around if the writing picks up.

I'm not sure there is much chemistry between Halle Berry and Goran Visnjic, a major problem.
Old 08-01-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Going to her Dad's had to be one of the worst places they could go. What would make anyone think they could not find her there?

As for being renewed, I rather this be a limited series like Under The Dome should have been. No dragging it out, padding etc... the concept seems better for a limited run.
Old 08-01-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with the others about the episode and the show. And this is even harder for me because I really don't find HB that attractive.

Will likely stick it out, but I too am hoping it wraps up without a next season.

I'm not sure there is much chemistry between Halle Berry and Goran Visnjic, a major problem.
I believe that is intentional. They seem to be essentially showing that they are on the verge of splitting up. When the baby is found to be not his I expect that to be the last straw.
Old 08-01-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

"Fire in the hole." Only basically tasing the android bro. I wanted to see the kid take all the goons out.

Loved how grandpa tried to use him bar bets.
Old 08-03-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Done with this show. Extremely boring series.

I was expecting more sci-fi from this show, but 75% of the show is just your typical family drama.

They could at least give us more Annie Wersching.