Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

El Rey Network signs long-term deal to broadcast 200+ films from Shaw Brothers

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

EL REY NETWORK AND CELESTIAL PICTURES BOOST MULTI-YEAR PARTNERSHIP TO BRING VIEWERS THE BEST IN CLASSIC MARTIAL ARTS

Austin, TX and Hong Kong - July 28, 2014 - El Rey Network, maverick filmmaker Robert Rodriguez's new genre-busting cable network, and Celestial Pictures Limited (Celestial Pictures) announced today a long-term programming partnership. The new five-year deal begins October 1, 2014, extending and expanding on an existing program licensing agreement. The new deal will provide the network with access to 255 iconic martial arts titles from the Shaw Brothers vault - the world's leading martial arts collection, many on an exclusive basis. Financial terms were not disclosed. The parties are also in discussion on new original programming concepts based on the Shaw Brothers' films.

New titles available to El Rey through the deal include "The Five Deadly Venoms," "Mad Monkey Kung Fu," "The Brave Archer Trilogy" and "Have Sword Will Travel," which will air throughout the schedule as well as during the network's monthly Kung Fu marathons. All films come with English subtitles and/or English dubbed tracks.

Robert Rodriguez, El Rey Network founder and chairman, said: "These iconic films have really resonated with our viewers and we are excited to be the American home of this incredible library. As a kid, I found this kind of content wildly entertaining and these dazzling, kinetic and epic spectacles are still a great inspiration in the work I do to this day."

Kristen Tong, Chief Operating Officer of Celestial Pictures, added: "We are delighted to build on our strong relationship with El Rey and Robert. The network has already proven to be a great platform to showcase our classic titles to a new audience, and we look forward to pursuing further exciting opportunities together."

About El Rey Network:

El Rey Network is a new 24-hour English language network founded by maverick filmmaker Robert Rodriguez. Curated by Rodriguez and his artistic collective, the network unites the most culturally diverse generation in history through fearless, badass and original content that awakens the renegade in everyone. The network's action-packed content is anchored by original signature dramas, feature films, grindhouse genre, cult classic action, and horror/sci-fi. El Rey Network LLC (www.elreynetwork.com) is jointly owned by Robert Rodriguez and FactoryMade Ventures with a minority stake held by Univision Networks & Studios, Inc.

About Celestial Pictures Limited:

Celestial Pictures Limited (Celestial Pictures) is a diversified entertainment company bringing the best in Asian entertainment to the world. The company focuses on film and television content origination, aggregation and worldwide distribution.

Celestial Pictures owns the Shaw Brothers library, the world's largest Chinese film collection, with over 760 feature films originally released over a fifty year period. The library has inspired countless filmmakers with its vast pool of classics including THE FIVE DEADLY VENOMS, HEX, THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN, KING BOXER and THE FLYING GUILLOTINE. These award-winning films have been digitally restored frame-by-frame for global distribution. The company has also been active in producing new film content, both originals and remakes based on the Shaw Brothers library films. Recent releases include PERHAPS LOVE, MY KINGDOM and CONTROL.

Celestial Pictures has a substantial investment in Celestial Tiger Entertainment (CTE), a venture with Saban Capital Group and Lionsgate. It operates branded pay television channels and produces and distributes content for Asian audiences. CTE's channel bouquet includes CELESTIAL MOVIES, CELESTIAL CLASSIC MOVIES, CELESTIAL MOVIES HD, cHK,KIX, KIX HD and THRILL, with a footprint that spans Asia and Australia.

Headquartered in Hong Kong, Celestial Pictures is owned by ASTRO Holdings Sdn Bhd (ASTRO), a leading integrated consumer media entertainment group in Malaysia and South East Asia. ASTRO owns a portfolio of international and regional investments in Pay TV, Radio, Publications and Digital Media. ASTRO's Malaysian domestic Pay TV business has a customer base of over 3.5 million residential customers (approximately 52% penetration of Malaysian TV households), and offers 170 TV channels, including 37 HD channels, delivered via Direct-To-Home satellite TV, IPTV and OTT platforms. # # #

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...jgX1JAxyRQi.99

1st of all, this is awesome news seeing the old school martial arts library from Celestial Pictures and Shaw Brothers get broadcast on American television. They currently air some of the movies every Thursday night.

Unfortunately Directv doesn't carry El Rey in HD, not for these old school flicks it probably doesn't really matter honestly.

I know some of you are probably saying WTF is the El Rey Network?
Old 07-28-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: El Rey Network signs long-term deal to broadcast 200+ films from Shaw Brothers

http://www.elreynetwork.com/#/vault/kung-fu

Here are some of the current crop of Shaw Bros. movies that El Rey is broadcasting in July. Looks like the new deal with the added library is effective in October.
Old 07-28-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: El Rey Network signs long-term deal to broadcast 200+ films from Shaw Brothers

<----Regular El Rey viewer (Mostly for the movies though)

I'm certainly down to see more Shaw stuff.

Some new ones that I HOPE to see:
The Shantung Boxer
Duel of the Iron Fist
Mistress of the Thunderbolt
The Weird Man
Five Shaolin Masters
Old 07-28-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Cool.

It's a fun niche channel.

I'd like to see them broadcast The Five Venoms. I haven't seen it since Celestial released it on DVD/VCD.

Part of the charm of seeing alot of these old school flicks is the bad english dubs. Some of them are hilarious and you can tell when they use the same voice over actors over and over.
Old 07-28-14, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love El Rey, I wish, they'd show One showing of the film, dubbed and then subtitled. Also, please get rid of the damn logo and other bumpers, on the bottom of the screen.
Old 07-28-14, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm awaiting Ash Ketchum's response to this. I don't have cable or whatever but this sounds cool.
Old 07-29-14, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I wish we had this channel here in Canada for its Shaw Brothers movies. The lineup for July was some of SB biggest known movies.

I'm resigned to the fact that we will never get all of the SB movies in physical format here in NA. It's also unlikely that Celestial will do a streaming deal with Netflix for example for their movies. This is what I was hoping for in order to see some of their "lesser" known films.
Old 07-29-14, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Cool.

It's a fun niche channel.

I'd like to see them broadcast The Five Venoms. I haven't seen it since Celestial released it on DVD/VCD.

Part of the charm of seeing alot of these old school flicks is the bad english dubs. Some of them are hilarious and you can tell when they use the same voice over actors over and over.
The Five Venoms actually has a very decent Blu-ray release by Dragon Dynasty that includes the English Dub. Fairly cheap too over at Amazon if you feel like owning it.
Old 07-29-14, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Also, please get rid of the damn logo and other bumpers, on the bottom of the screen.
Was wondering if this channel was bug-free or not- Robert Rodriguez just lost a ton of my respect.
Old 07-29-14, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm awaiting Ash Ketchum's response to this. I don't have cable or whatever but this sounds cool.
How are they showing these films? English dubbed or subtitled? Or both? It's not clear from the press release.

I'd be a lot more impressed if they opened up the range of films they're showing to include some of those impressive Shaw Bros. historical epics like MAGNIFICENT CONCUBINE, EMPRESS WU and LAST WOMAN OF SHANG. Or some of the contemporary crime dramas like THE DELINQUENTS and TEMPTRESS WITH A THOUSAND FACES. Even a drama like THE BLUE AND THE BLACK would be pretty groundbreaking for American audiences. I don't think any of these were ever dubbed, so they'd have to show them subtitled. which wouldn't hurt the audience any.

Even within the vast range of Shaw Bros. action genres, they could show stuff outside the kung fu genre like the superhero masterpiece INFRA-MAN or some of the wild fantasies like DESCENDANT OF THE SUN, BATTLE WIZARD, BUDDHA'S PALM, HOLY FLAME OF THE MARTIAL WORLD, LITTLE DRAGON MAIDEN, etc.

And Celestial Pictures' version of FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH is called KING BOXER. Since they evidently won't be showing the dubbed Warner Bros. cut, that advertising is clearly misleading.
Old 07-29-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
How are they showing these films? English dubbed or subtitled? Or both? It's not clear from the press release.

I'd be a lot more impressed if they opened up the range of films they're showing to include some of those impressive Shaw Bros. historical epics like MAGNIFICENT CONCUBINE, EMPRESS WU and LAST WOMAN OF SHANG. Or some of the contemporary crime dramas like THE DELINQUENTS and TEMPTRESS WITH A THOUSAND FACES. Even a drama like THE BLUE AND THE BLACK would be pretty groundbreaking for American audiences. I don't think any of these were ever dubbed, so they'd have to show them subtitled. which wouldn't hurt the audience any.

Even within the vast range of Shaw Bros. action genres, they could show stuff outside the kung fu genre like the superhero masterpiece INFRA-MAN or some of the wild fantasies like DESCENDANT OF THE SUN, BATTLE WIZARD, BUDDHA'S PALM, HOLY FLAME OF THE MARTIAL WORLD, LITTLE DRAGON MAIDEN, etc.

And Celestial Pictures' version of FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH is called KING BOXER. Since they evidently won't be showing the dubbed Warner Bros. cut, that advertising is clearly misleading.
http://m.deadline.com/2014/07/el-rey...gramming-deal/

It's still not really clear. I have to assume it will air dubbed. It was mentioned in the press release too that the films are available both ways for El Rey.

The ones that have aired so far have been all dubbed. Also, they have all gotten TV MA ratings, which I'm led to believe means uncut.
Old 07-29-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Was wondering if this channel was bug-free or not- Robert Rodriguez just lost a ton of my respect.
Considering you probably own most of his movies on some format or another, your respect to him is irrelevant since he already has your money.
Old 07-29-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

It's still not really clear. I have to assume it will air dubbed. It was mentioned in the press release too that the films are available both ways for El Rey.

The ones that have aired so far have been all dubbed. Also, they have all gotten TV MA ratings, which I'm led to believe means uncut.
Are these new dubs or are they the dubs that were around the time World Northal acquired the rights and Larry Bensky re-edited them for tv?
Old 07-29-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^They're using the old dubs.

6:33 is still the greatest dubbed voice I've ever heard
Old 07-29-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if they are the true uncut films with these dubs. I know even with the Celestial remasters, there are some scenes in certain movies (nudity) that didn't make the remastered versions like Water Margin (aka Seven Blows of the Dragon) and the above Five Element Ninjas (aka Chinese Super Ninjas).
Old 07-29-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Either way, still dubs. Though in this case, that has a certain cheesy charm. Are these all still under Weinstein jurisdiction?
Old 07-29-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I prefer dubs on most classic Kung Fu movies. It's not like the native language for these films were Shakespeare in writing quality and the dubs have their own entertainment value.
Old 07-29-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Ugh, do you have the words logos and bugs set on a special word search or something.

Please just stop. Find more important things to be miserable about.
Old 07-29-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I prefer dubs on most classic Kung Fu movies. It's not like the native language for these films were Shakespeare in writing quality and the dubs have their own entertainment value.
For the classic Shaw Brothers titles & many classic Kung Fu movies, the Mandarin audio is dubbed with voice over actors since they didn't record live audio on sets back then. So, seeing these in English dubs is perfectly fine with me.

It's not like I'm missing some brilliant dialogue recitations by Ti Lung and David Chiang.
Old 07-29-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I wonder if they are the true uncut films with these dubs. I know even with the Celestial remasters, there are some scenes in certain movies (nudity) that didn't make the remastered versions like Water Margin (aka Seven Blows of the Dragon) and the above Five Element Ninjas (aka Chinese Super Ninjas).
No, these aren't the remasters (w/ the added sound fx...ugh) but the defunct channel, Fuel TV (Now Fox Sports 2) did air those versions on their "Late Night Kung Fu" shows. Though they were presented in HD, they were still edited. El Rey's movies are uncut (But with commercial breaks ala IFC & Sundance)
Old 07-29-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

For the classic Shaw Brothers titles & many classic Kung Fu movies, the Mandarin audio is dubbed with voice over actors since they didn't record live audio on sets back then. So, seeing these in English dubs is perfectly fine with me.

It's not like I'm missing some brilliant dialogue recitations by Ti Lung and David Chiang.
Since I have so many of the Celestial R3 DVDs of Shaw titles, I'm now much more used to seeing them in Mandarin. There was a time in the early 1960s when Shaw Bros. films were shot in sync sound. Most of the films of Linda Lin Dai were shot that way. She was at one time Shaw's biggest star--until she killed herself in 1964 just before THE LAST WOMAN OF SHANG was released. She still had 5 or 6 more films in the can. I'd love to see those play on TV in the U.S. in Mandarin with subs. and win this actress some new fans. Ivy Ling Po tended to do her own voice and she was arguably Shaw's biggest star after Lin Dai. Her version of MULAN is a classic (from 1964) and should be seen by audiences who've seen the Disney version.
Old 07-29-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am more familiar with the old English dubs. I think it's what most were introduced with. There was a handful that I saw in the original language in theaters while I grew up in Hawaii. I was surprised by what Fu Sheng actually sounded like.
Looking at the July schedule... http://www.elreynetwork.com/#/vault/kung-fu I pretty much have all of these as a bootleg and/or Celestial R3 remaster. I will mark out for Challenge of the Ninja and I will pay close attention to Five Element Ninja... and the kunoichi boobies if they are there. This is the scene. It's not here, or in the remaster, but I have a bootleg which shows it completely. Basically, after he slashes the red ninja, camera cuts to the torso and he sees it's a woman cuz her boobies are visible. Which is why he's got the surprised look on his face.

Last edited by devilshalo; 07-29-14 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-30-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally a new "Director's Chair" episode airing tonight (Guillermo Del Toro!)
Old 07-30-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked the John Carpenter one... the side by side of RR's shots to JC's was too funny.
Old 07-30-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To be honest, we're so phobic of them in this country that I think hell will freeze over befor mainstream TV shows subtitled movies. Are their still under the jurisdiction of the Weinsteins and Drago Dynasty? I wish I had this channel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.