Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Games you loved, played for a time, never played again?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-14, 07:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

you know the games that you get upon release, play it, finish it, perhaps multiple times, never play again...

Red Dead Redemption...i loved this game, played it to death and then once it was over i never went back to it again. even tried the Nightmare DLC, but was so burnt from playing so much to get 100% that i can't play it again. tried a couple times, but it wasn't there anymore (the desire, yearn) to play again.
Old 07-25-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Games you loved, played for a time, never played again?

pretty much all of them? i never replay games. there are a few exceptions, but once i'm done with a game, it's on to the next one.
Old 07-25-14, 09:11 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a lot

Dungeon Defenders
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Path of Exile
Guild Wars 2
Farming Simulator 2013
Euro truck Simulator 2
Old 07-25-14, 09:34 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

marriage?
Old 08-19-14, 10:18 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Did I kill this thread with my terrible joke?

I played the hell out of the first Sims game. Stopped, and never got back into it (or the sequels), although my wife was a big fan of Sims 2 and 3. She says she wants to play Sims 4, but commented the other day, "I'm playing the same game in real life every day." Awwwwww.... or something.
Old 08-19-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
pretty much all of them? i never replay games. there are a few exceptions, but once i'm done with a game, it's on to the next one.
Agree with this. I pretty much play a game until I've done everything I want to do, and then move on.
Old 08-19-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, there's just way too much out there nowadays to replay anything. With the last generation the only titles I replayed were Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect 3.
Old 08-19-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Ditto.
Old 08-19-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, same here. Notable exceptions would be many SNES games, that for one reason or another I love to revisit. But yeah, 90% of games, when I'm done with them, I don't go back, mostly because there's still so many unplayed games.
Old 08-19-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the topic should be renamed to: Games you loved, played for a time, and never beat and then never played again. That would probably be more suitable for discussion. Either the game was too hard, we forgot about it or otherwise got preoccupied.

Until this weekend, that game for me was X-Com: Enemy Unknown. My first attempt at the game was way back in February of 2013. I didn't build right, I didn't pay attention to satellites and upgrades and basically once I started seeing Ethereals got too pissed to complete the game. But I absolutely adored it. Came back a little wiser over the last couple of months and beat it. Like a boss , okay just kidding, it was still on normal. I know I would get mauled on classic or impossible. But now, I have most of the achievements (41 of 50) and will move on to the DLC and subsequent Enemy Within.

Skyrim is another game I never technically "beat" but loved, even though I have played it in excess of 100+ hours. I had much more fun running around doing Thieves' Guild quests than messing with the main quest. But much as with X-Com, I want back in and I think I will resume my game soon enough. This time, I might even play the main quest line, maybe.
Old 08-19-14, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Maybe the topic should be renamed to: Games you loved, played for a time, and never beat and then never played again. That would probably be more suitable for discussion. Either the game was too hard, we forgot about it or otherwise got preoccupied.
For me, games like that are usually games that you can't "beat". Like a fighting game, or a racing game - how do you know you've "finished" one of those games. Do you just get tired of it eventually? Move on to the sequel?

But I guess a recent example would be the South Park RPG game. Loved it, got more than halfway through, and even though it started off ridiculously easy it got super hard by the time I gave up. I wasn't even able to grind. So I gave up.
Old 08-19-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I tend to replay games, but some have more shelf life than others. It depends how much of an open world there is and how much i can generally screw around with the game. A game like GTA V i can pick up and play a lot simply as i can do what i want. More linear games like the Uncharted games i love, but as they are structured in a singular fashion i tend not to go back to them much once i complete them. Unreal Tournament is still the one game i can go back to and never get bored.