Tyrant (FX) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the makers of Homeland

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-14-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/ang-...rant/#comments

On the heels of winning his second directing Oscar for Life Of Pi, Ang Lee will make his television directorial debut with FX‘s high-profile drama pilot Tyrant, from Homeland executive producers Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff and Six Feet Under alum Craig Wright. This represents a major coup for FX and Tyrant producers Fox 21 and FX Prods as Lee had been approached numerous times for pilots, but this is the first one he has committed to. In addition to directing, Lee is executive producing Tyrant, his first project following Life Of Pi. It tells the story of an unassuming American family drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle Eastern nation. The series was created by Raff and developed by Gordon and Wright. Raff wrote the pilot, which comes from Gordon’s 20th TV-based company Teakwood Lane. “Ang Lee has demonstrated time and again an ability to present characters with such depth and specificity that they reveal the universal human condition,” said FX president John Landgraf. “No one could be a more perfect film maker to bring Howard Gordon, Gideon Raff, and Craig Wright’s Tyrant to indelible life.”

Gordon, Raff and Wright also executive produce in association with Keshet Broadcasting. If Tyrant goes to series, Wright will serve as showrunner. With a huge commitment and A-list creative auspices, Tyrant already was fully expected to go to series, something Landgraf alluded to in January. (Backup scripts had already been commissioned.) Lee’s arrival likely sealed the deal. “The fact that the brilliant Ang Lee has signed on to direct his first project for television speaks to the extraordinary nature of Tyrant,” said Fox 21 president Bert Salke. Production of Tyrant is tentatively slated to begin this summer.

Tyrant keeps Lee in the Fox family. His last four movies, Brokeback Mountain; Lust, Caution; Taking Woodstock and Life Of Pi were all produced/distributed by divisions of Twentieth Century Fox, a sibling to both FX and Fox 21. Lee has won three Oscars, for directing Brokeback Mountain and Life Of Pi and his Best Foreign-Language Film winner, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. His latest film, Life Of Pi, won the most Oscars this year, four, and has grossed more than $600 million worldwide.

No actors have been cast yet. It is expected to get picked up by FX. That is a huge get to sign Ang Lee as Director and EP.

I'm guessing FX is looking at this to air sometime in early 2014.

I can already see the advertising now....

"From Academy award winning director Ang Lee and the Producers of Homeland"

Last edited by DJariya; 03-14-13 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-14-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Ang Lee to Direct/Produce FX Pilot "Tyrant" from the makers of Homeland

Said it before and I'll say it again, any new show on FX gets a shot just based on their track record.
Old 03-15-13, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Ang Lee to Direct/Produce FX Pilot "Tyrant" from the makers of Homeland

Descriptive from the LA Times:

When FX ordered the “Tyrant” pilot, the show was described as a drama series about an Arab state dictator who dies, leaving his American son to head the country. On Thursday, FX described it far more vaguely: the story of an unassuming American family drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle Eastern nation.

Sounds interesting either way, in a post-Homeland/The Americans kind of way, and as Def sez, any FX hour-long pretty much deserves a sampling.

(Side note: I would never have thought we'd have terrorists or anti-American spies as semi-sympathetic main characters on US television. I guess the meth & mob kingpins blazed the path, proving that good lead characters can transcend the hero/villain dichotomy...)

Last edited by adamblast; 03-15-13 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Tyrant (FX series from the makers of Homeland) -- Summer 2014

Here's a bunch of articles about it.

http://www.deadline.com/?s=tyrant

Here's what is known:

Pilot will be directed by David Yates

Ang Lee previously signed on to direct and EP, but dropped out.

Produced by Howard Gordon & Gideon Raff (Homeland) and David Fury (24)

Key actors:

Adam Rayner
Jennifer Finnigan
Justin Kirk

They are currently filming this in Morocco.

Synopsis:

Tyrant, from Homeland executive producers Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff and Six Feet Under alum Craig Wright. It tells the story of an unassuming American family — Barry (Adam Rayner); his strong, smart and idealistic wife Molly (Finnigan); and their kids Emma (Anne Winters) and Sammy (Noah Silver) — drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle East nation.

I'm going to bet this comes out Summer or Fall 2014. It depends on how fast FX greenlights it after the Pilot is shot.
Old 12-11-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

re: Tyrant (FX) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the makers of Homeland

http://m.deadline.com/2013/12/fx-tyr...howard-gordon/

Picked up to series today by FX

Will premiere next summer. Man, FX has some good stuff coming up with this, Justified, The Americans, The Strain and the second season of The Bridge.

At least a 10 episode order with the possibility of more.
Old 12-11-13, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk God

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/fx-g...or-1200945740/

According to Variety, the series will be shot in Tel Aviv. The pilot was shot in Morocco.

dex14, can you please update the thread saying this was picked up and will premiere Summer 2014

They are searching for a showrunner. Good luck to whoever has to move to Tel Aviv for 6 months.
Old 04-02-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Not much information about this new series yet. It looks like they haven't even started filming yet. Jennifer Finnigan, one of the stars, tweeted this on Monday:

I'm guessing this doesn't premiere on FX until August.

Here's a pretty detailed synopsis:

Tyrant tells the story of an unassuming American family drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle Eastern nation. Bassam “Barry” Al Fayeed (Adam Rayner), the youngest son of a war-torn country’s controversial dictator, returns to his homeland after a self-imposed 20-year exile in America for his nephew’s wedding.

Upon his return, Barry is immediately thrown back into the familial and national politics of his youth. As he braces himself to confront the stark realities of his father and older brother Jamal’s (Ashraf Barhom) harsh rule, Barry is unable and unwilling to make his all-American family understand his unease over returning home. His wife, Molly (Jennifer Finnigan), struggling to comprehend her husband’s apprehension, uncovers a romantic history involving Leila (Moran Atias), Jamal’s beautiful wife. Emma (Anne Winters), their 15-year-old daughter, adores her father and shares his disdain for the extravagances of her extended family. Meanwhile, their son, 16-year-old Sammy (Noah Silver), revels in the lavish lifestyle their “royal” status brings, but dangerously tests cultural divides with his poorly disguised interest in handsome family bodyguard Abdul (Mehdi Dehbi).

Barry’s only warm memory of his childhood, boyhood friend Fauzi (Fares Fares), wants nothing to do with him. Fauzi is now a journalist, whose reports on the abuses of the Al Fayeed rule resulted in Fauzi's arrest and torture. Barry must now confront the life he once fled. With his father's health in decline, everyone – Jamal, their mother Amira (Alice Krige), their father's top advisor Yussef (Salim Daw), and even easygoing U.S. diplomat John Tucker (Justin Kirk) – expects him to assume a more active role in both the family and the regime.

Old 05-29-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk God

1st promo for Tyrant with actual footage:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yBfjA-oU7KE?list=PLIDyzBpnfjqkT3fmnUXm1NR3l8fgxV4mh" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Premieres June 24th

This show is from Howard Gordon, the producer of 24 and Homeland. It's a 10 episode 1st season.

The Pilot was filmed in Morocco. The series is shooting in Israel.
Old 05-29-14, 10:50 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

The promos for this have been annoying. I don't know if I'm going to watch this or not.
Old 05-29-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

This could go either way.

I'm more excited about The Strain.
Old 05-29-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, FX promos are usually 100% dynamite. The ones for this leave me totally bored. The promos for The Strain on the other hand....
Old 06-24-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Tyrant (S1E01) -- New FX Series from the Producer of Homeland -- "Pilot" -- 6/24/14

Season One - Episode Descriptions

Episode 1 / Production #178 - "Pilot" (Airs June 24, 10:00 pm e/p) - Barry Al-Fayeed is a California pediatrician who also happens to be the second son of a Middle Eastern dictator. Barry reluctantly agrees to return home with his American family for his nephew's wedding. Events thrust him into the complex and turbulent growing pains of a nation straining to break free from dictatorial rule. Written by Gideon Raff; directed by David Yates.

Series Description

From Emmy(R) and Golden Globe(R) Award-winning Executive Producer/Showunner Howard Gordon (24, Homeland), Tyrant tells the story of an unassuming American family drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle Eastern nation. Bassam "Barry" Al Fayeed, the younger son of the dictator of a war-torn nation, ends a self-imposed 20-year exile to return to his homeland, accompanied by his American wife and children, for his nephew's wedding. Barry's reluctant homecoming leads to a dramatic clash of cultures as he is thrown back into the familial and national politics of his youth. The cast includes Adam Rayner, Jennifer Finnigan, Ashraf Barhom, Moran Atias, Noah Silver, Anne Winters, Fares Fares, Salim Daw, Justin Kirk, Jordana Spiro, Mehdi Dehbi, and Alice Krige. Howard Gordon, Craig Wright, Glenn Gordon Caron, Gideon Raff, David Yates, Michael Lehmann, Peter Noah, and Avi Nir are Executive Producers. Tyrant was created by Gideon Raff and it is produced by Fox 21 and FX Productions. FX has ordered 10 episodes of Tyrant for its first season which will air Tuesday nights at 10 PM ET/PT.
I have a feeling this isn't going to appeal to most here. It's been described as the Middle East/Muslim "The Godfather"

10 episode 1st season order. The showrunner is Howard Gordon, who most of you know worked on 24 and Homeland. The Pilot was filmed in Morocco and the series is shot in Israel.

The story about how this show came about and all the problems behind the scenes is covered in this story by The Hollywood Reporter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ckstory-709209

It's an excellent piece and if you're even remotely interested in watching Tyrant, I highly recommend reading it.

Howard Gordon talks about it here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9mxY8tCQ-9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a behind the scenes featurette

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7jMhJW7-HUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-24-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Tyrant (S1E01) -- New FX Series from the Producer of Homeland -- "Pilot" -- 6/24/

I'll give any FX show a shot but the trailers and commercials have done nothing for me.
Old 06-24-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tyrant (S1E01) -- New FX Series from the Producer of Homeland -- "Pilot" -- 6/24/

Reviews have been mostly negative. Apparently they focus alot on the teen drama and it's worse than any of the Dana stuff from Homeland.
Old 06-24-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I'll give any FX show a shot but the trailers and commercials have done nothing for me.
This.
Old 06-24-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaster1
Reviews have been mostly negative. Apparently they focus alot on the teen drama and it's worse than any of the Dana stuff from Homeland.
So roughly on par with the Kim stuff from 24?
Old 06-24-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm gonna give it a shot because it's FX... but it looks like a slower burn than The Americans
Old 06-24-14, 04:20 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Yup. This. I feel like this is what a lot around here will say. I'll record it and wait for some of the opinions around here. But I just have no urge.
Old 06-24-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Gideon Raff and Howard Gordon developed this show together. Raff is credited as the creator of Homeland (he created the original Israeli version)

Basically Raff left the show after butting heads with Gordon. He wanted to make "Dallas" of the Middle East. Gordon wanted to add a political element as well.

Here's a small excerpt from that Hollywood reporter article I posted.

And then there was Raff, with whom Gordon's partnership had unraveled during the year-and-a-half period. It had reached a point where their visions for the show were so different — Raff wanted to make a heightened family soap opera; Gordon felt that a family drama would need a political component to succeed — that a collaboration no longer made sense. Gordon's experience and U.S. network sensibility made him the clear choice to continue, though Raff still reads scripts and remains in touch with many of the actors. "I just felt at a certain point that my creative input wasn't being heard," says Raff, who since has turned his day-to-day focus to another Israel-set series, USA's Dig. "I had the option of either staying and arguing, arguing, arguing about the vision, or leaving the show in the very capable hands of Howard Gordon."

There are few people in the television business with a better résumé or reputation than Gordon, who cut his teeth on The X-Files before establishing himself as a go-to producer on 24 and, later, on Homeland, which he and his Princeton pal Alex Gansa adapted from Raff's Israeli series Prisoners of War. (Given the demands of Tyrant, Gordon no longer is hands-on with Homeland, nor is he in the weeds with Fox's 24 reboot or TNT's upcoming Legends.) Those who have worked with him attribute his success — along with his eleventh-hour rewrites — to an almost unparalleled work ethic and phenomenally high standards. "He wants to hold everything very tightly," says 20th Century Fox Television CEO Dana Walden, who adds: "My role is to constantly push him to let go a little bit and suffer 10 percent of the perfection for picking up 30 percent of the benefit of [more] time in the process."
Although Gordon and Raff downplay any bad blood, those who know both men describe a clash in styles. As one source involved with Tyrant put it, "If you're the workaholic perfectionist (Gordon), the person who doesn't suffer from those attributes (Raff) is going to be very frustrating." Other sources point to differences in experience (AFI-trained Raff has no history running a U.S. show) and to lingering friction from Homeland, for which Raff often is credited as a creator despite having no day-to-day involvement in the Showtime adaptation.
Old 06-24-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Same here.
Old 06-24-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Blaster1
I set up my DVDR to record it for the season, but this comment doesn't instill confidence. We'll see.
Old 06-24-14, 05:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Based on the commercials, this is based on Assad, no?
Old 06-24-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho
Based on the commercials, this is based on Assad, no?
From Time's review:

(The fictional Abbudin’s flag is essentially Syria’s with one extra star, and the likenesses between the Al-Fayeed and Assad dynasties are similarly close.)
Old 06-24-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I feel the same way. I will DVR and watch the pilot maybe later on tonight.
Old 06-24-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
So roughly on par with the Kim stuff from 24?
I haven't seen the episodes of 24 with the Kim stuff in so long, but I think the Dana stuff from seasons 2 and 3 of Homeland were worse than anything in 24 involving Kim. Atleast 24 had to fill 24 episodes of tv, so some filler was excusable. Homeland only had to fill 12. Anyways here are some reviews to look at http://www.metacritic.com/tv/tyrant/critic-reviews

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.