Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fargo --> Season 2 (2015) --> News, casting, etc...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-21-14, 03:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1874808
‘Fargo’ will return to FX next season — but with new cast

Spoiler:
The first season starred ‘The Hobbit’s’ Martin Freeman, Billy Bob Thornton and Emmy nominee Allison Tolman. FX's chief calls the decision to move on with a new cast ‘heartbreaking.’

BEVERLY HILLS — "Fargo" will return to FX but the "Fargo" cast will not.

FX Chairman John Landgraf said Monday that writer Noah Hawley will write a second TV adaptation, and it will debut on FX no earlier than fall 2015.

Landgraf said it will run 10 episodes and that there were no details on the cast or the setting.

This year's adaptation, which starred Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman, was a ratings and critical hit, scoring 18 Emmy nominations.

Landgraf said it wasn't an easy decision to jettison the whole first-season cast, including Emmy nominee Allison Tolman — one of the characters who survived.
John Landgraf, head of FX, made the 'Fargo' announcement Monday at the 2014 Summer Television Critics Association tour. Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images John Landgraf, head of FX, made the 'Fargo' announcement Monday at the 2014 Summer Television Critics Association tour.

"It was heartbreaking from my standpoint because I loved the characters," said Landgraf. "But I don't think we felt that we could reincarnate these actors as new characters."

Landgraf also said he didn't think the new season needed actors with the starpower of Thornton.

"We needed him (the first season)," Landgraf said, "but now Noah's proven he can write something really good. The writing, the style — they're the stars here.

"We'd be very happy to have a movie star, but I don't think we need it. I think we'd do very well with a cast of unknowns, of Allison Tolmans."

figured it would be a new cast. i am all for it as i loved S1...
Old 07-21-14, 03:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Fargo --> Season 2 (2015) --> News, casting, etc...

I thought season 1 was great, so I'm definitely in for Season 2.

I just hope:
- They film it in my area again.
- It actually airs on FX Canada, instead of FXX; the latter of which isn't available on any provider in the area.
Old 07-21-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might want to spoiler that since there's a pretty big one in the description.

Glad it's coming back. This was the best show since Breaking Bad for me.
Old 07-21-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I just hope:
- They film it in my area again.
I was there when they filmed parts of the movie in Minneapolis. In fact an hour ago I was across the street from the parking ramp where Steve Buscemi was shot in the face. Unfortunately many of the other classic locations (such as the Embers restaurant) are now gone.
Old 07-21-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Well, the only cast members I would have wanted back were Colin Hanks, Allison Tolman, and the actors who play his daughter and her father - there would be no need to bring back anyone else.
Old 07-21-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I always kind of thought they were setting up Season 2 to be Sioux Falls.
Old 07-21-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

While I wouldn't cast "stars", this show really worked with talented character actors, which is really what Billy Bob is anyway. This would seem to be a natural fit for someone like Paul Giamatti.
Old 07-21-14, 06:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
While I wouldn't cast "stars", this show really worked with talented character actors, which is really what Billy Bob is anyway. This would seem to be a natural fit for someone like Paul Giamatti.
oooh, that is titillating...
Old 07-21-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

After seeing how well season 1 turned out, and True Detective doing so well, I wouldn't be surprised to see some big names turn out in S2.
Old 07-21-14, 08:39 PM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I always kind of thought they were setting up Season 2 to be Sioux Falls.
You betcha.

You know how in FX’s Fargo there were all those cryptic references to Lou Solverson’s (Keith Carradine) traumatic case in Sioux Falls back in 1979?

That case is the focus of Fargo season 2.

Writer-producer Noah Hawley spoke to reporters at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Monday, hours after FX officially confirmed that the Emmy-lauded show will get a 10-episode second season.

Hawley said the next season is set in 1979 and will feature a 33-year-old version of Solverson, a state cop recently back from fighting in the Vietnam War. “He thought he left the war behind, but he came back and here it is, it’s domestic,” the writer-producer teased. “We will meet Molly’s mother, who was not a character in season 1 … and we’ll learn what happened to her. Ben Schmidt [the police lieutenant played by Peter Breitmayer in the first season] will factor in there somewhere. … There were a lot of clues left in the first season and we’ll do our best to hit those.”

The writer noted the first season’s cinematic inspirations were the Coen brothers films Fargo, No Country for Old Men, and A Serious Man. Season 2 will be Fargo, Miller’s Crossing, and The Man Who Wasn’t There. “Let the internet speculation begin,” he said.

The story will be set in Sioux Falls, Luverne, and Fargo, and once again the show’s base of production will be Calgary in Alberta, Canada. FX expects the next season to premiere in fall, 2015.

Hawley confirmed the original cast will not return for season 2 (though noted to a few reporters afterward that having characters return in a presumed season 3 is possible—just not in back-to-back seasons). Even Carradine won’t appear next season, despite the second season’s lead being a younger version of his character (so there’s no framing device). “I think it’s going to be standalone as a period piece,” he said. Hawley noted that the American Horror Story model—using the same group of actors each season in an anthology series—doesn’t seem to be as suitable for Fargo, which tells true crime stories and uses a similar setting in the second season. “I would like nothing more than to see the continuing adventures of Molly and Gus, but it felt like it would be disingenuous to give them another crazy Coen brothers case,” he said. And while Hawley praised the AHS model for that show, he noted, “It gets hard to look past the actors. … I like the idea that the character comes first and hopefully the actor disappears into the role.”

“The subtitle will be Fargo: Backlash,” Hawley joked.
Old 07-21-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

I just wish there was a way to transport younger Keith Carradine to the future so he could play it. Everything is better with Keith Carradine.

Anyone ever see his son in anything. Obviously, he has the look.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2168792/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm
Old 07-21-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

A prequel sounds good to me.
Old 07-21-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This sounds great so far.
Old 07-21-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he is a good actor that would be awesome.
Old 07-21-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

I just wish there was a way to transport younger Keith Carradine to the future so he could play it. Everything is better with Keith Carradine.

Wow, he's even almost the exact age as his dad's character would be in 79.
Old 07-22-14, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

You can't have an unknown take the lead in this project the year after Billy Bob Thornton killed it. He's probably too big a star to take the role, but if you could get him, Ryan Gossling would be great -- terrific actor, exactly the right age and has at least a passing resemblance to Carradine.
Old 07-23-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is going to be set in Sioux Falls in the year 1979, how much of Season 2 could serve somewhat as a prequel to No Country for Old Men (set in 1980)?

If Woody Harrelson isn't going to be in Season 2 of True Detective, perhaps he could reprise his role as the bounty hunter Carson Wells.
Old 07-23-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good thus far. Happy to have it back.
Old 07-23-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
You can't have an unknown take the lead in this project the year after Billy Bob Thornton killed it. He's probably too big a star to take the role, but if you could get him, Ryan Gossling would be great -- terrific actor, exactly the right age and has at least a passing resemblance to Carradine.
Pretty sure I recall the showrunner stating that they needed a star to help lift the show off the ground, get it attention. He doesn't feel that is necessary now that people know about the show.
Old 12-05-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Fargo (FX) -- Season 2 News, Rumors, Castings

http://www.thewrap.com/jeffrey-donov...ole-exclusive/

Jeffrey Donovan from Burn Notice was the first actor cast.

Nick Offerman from Parks and Recreation was offered a part.

Second iteration of FX's Coen Brothers adaptation will be set in 1979

Jeffrey Donovan is packing his bags for “Fargo,” and Nick Offerman could be joining him.

“Burn Notice” star Donovan is nearing a deal to join the second season of FX's anthology series “Fargo,” while “Parks and Recreation” star Offerman has an offer to join the cast, though he's not currently in negotiations, multiple individuals with knowledge of the castings told TheWrap on Wednesday.

Donovan, whose credits also include “Crossing Jordan” and “Law & Order,” has been cast in the role of Dodd.

The second season of the adaptation of the Coen Brothers’ iconic film will also feature Rachel Keller, who will play the role of Simone in the Noah Hawley-created series. Relative newcomer Keller also stars in the comedy “Hollidaysburg,” opposite Tobin Mitnick.

In addition to the castings of Donovan and Keller, another individual with knowledge of the situation told TheWrap that Mike Bradecich (“Mighty Med”) and Allan Dobrescu are also in contention for roles in the series, which starred Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Freeman, Colin Hanks and Allison Tolman in its first season.

A spokesman for FX did not immediately respond to TheWrap's request for comment.

Should Offerman join the cast, he would play the role of Carl. With “Parks and Recreation” preparing to enter its final season, “Fargo” would be an enticing proposition, though he has not yet made up his mind about signing on for the series.

As Hawley revealed at the Television Critics Association press tour in July, the second iteration of “Fargo” will take place in 1979 and feature a young Lou Solverson (played by Keith Carradine in the first season) as a 33-year-old veteran who recently arrived home from the Vietnam war.

Hawley added that the second season will draw inspiration from the Coen Brothers films will be inspired by “Fargo,” “Miller's Crossing” and “The Man Who Wasn't There.”

Last edited by DJariya; 12-05-14 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-05-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Fargo (FX) -- Season 2 News, Rumors, Castings

Awesome, I was a fan of Burn Notice so it's great to see Donovan getting work.
Old 12-05-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Holy shit, both of those guys would be awesome! Love them!
Old 12-06-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only question is should there be a 3rd season (and I think that's what the soft limit was when it was talked about in terms of ideas for the show), can they get Timothy Olyphant?

If the show just has Donovan, I'm thrilled. I'll be so much beyond that I can't label it if they bag Offerman.
Old 12-10-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Hot damn. Jesse Plemons & Kirsten Dunst have been cast in two key roles as husband and wife. Love it.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/10/kirsten-dunst-fargo/
Old 12-10-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe Dunst can earn enough to fix her fucking snaggleteeth.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.