Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Weezer album "Everything Will Be Alright in the End"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Worst album cover ever?

Weezer's new album Everything Will Be Alright in the End is out September 30 via Republic. Listen to the new track "Back to the Shack" now. It's a seemingly autobiographical song about getting back to their roots.

On July 23, the band will play "Back to the Shack" on "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon".

<iframe width="398" height="224" src="https://www.iheart.com/widget/?showId=23396745&episodeId=26960090" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Old 07-21-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: New Weezer album "Everything Will Be Alright in the End"

Originally Posted by cungar
Worst album cover ever?
It's even worse than the Hurley and Ratitude covers

Looking forward to it though.
Old 07-21-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Weird album cover. Looks like whoever designed it was inspired by Where the Wild Things Are. As for the album, I dunno anymore with Weezer. They're so hit and miss that who knows if it'll be any good. I might pick it up just because I have all their other albums but the last couple have just been so-so.
Old 07-21-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm pretty excited. They've been posting videos to their youtube channel for a while that have little song snippets in them. It definitely sounds more like older Weezer than recent Weezer. The fact they have Ric Ocasek producing again has me hopeful.

Yeah, the cover sucks though.
Old 07-21-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Origin of cover art:

http://twistedsifter.com/2014/05/add...hop-paintings/

Guy takes thrift shop paintings and adds monsters.
Old 07-21-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Weird album cover. Looks like whoever designed it was inspired by Where the Wild Things Are. As for the album, I dunno anymore with Weezer. They're so hit and miss that who knows if it'll be any good. I might pick it up just because I have all their other albums but the last couple have just been so-so.
These are pretty much my sentiments. They really have been mediocre for the past decade or so, starting with Make Believe.

I'm sure I'll listen to this but I doubt it will be a must-buy for me.
Old 07-21-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by My Other Self
These are pretty much my sentiments. They really have been mediocre for the past decade or so, starting with Make Believe.

I'm sure I'll listen to this but I doubt it will be a must-buy for me.
I actually liked the last self titled album they did (The Red Album) and I admit for a while I was a pretty big fanboy of them but after a while their music started losing it's appeal to me. I think that Raditude and Hurley had some good moments on them but overall weren't the band's strongest efforts. I think really their best albums are the first three and The Red Album.
Old 07-21-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Yes, I forgot to include The Red Album.

They seem to do best when their albums are self-titled. Maybe they should stick to that going forward.
Old 07-22-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They released a new single today, "Back to the Garage." It's just so-so if you ask me. I didn't think it really stood out upon first listen.
Old 07-22-14, 09:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hell, I think this is their best album cover since Pinkerton, which means this is their second best album cover.

But then again I immediately recognized it as one of those thrift shop paintings with a monster added in that was linked to above.
Old 07-22-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
They released a new single today, "Back to the Garage." It's just so-so if you ask me. I didn't think it really stood out upon first listen.
It's "Back to the Shack". Meh
Old 07-23-14, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ric behind the boards is a good sign. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-23-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto
It's "Back to the Shack". Meh
I guess that's how little of an impression the song left on me. It's just very blah. Nothing memorable about it or anything. It always feels like Weezer tries so hard to relive their past glory but fall short most of the time.
Old 07-28-14, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/NnzsPC/widget/select/x41yWgOhEvgM" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" seamless="seamless" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 10-08-14, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So this album came out on Tuesday. Did anyone here pick it up? I've read a couple reviews that make it sound decent and I might pick up a copy next time I'm out and about just for the hell of it. I don't have high expectations for it though.
Old 10-09-14, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I listened to most of it on spotty. It's definitely their 5th best LP, which basically means it's only half embarrassing.
Old 10-09-14, 10:16 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

They've been one of my favorite bands and I've seen them many many times...

It's not bad per se... There's just not much about it that stands out or is memorable, IMO.
Old 10-09-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They shoulda saved their Red Album for this because there's a consistency to all the Ocasek-produced discs.

I'm something of a Weezer apologist and I like this album too. I didn't really like Maladroit or Make Believe but starting with Red I've enjoyed everything they've put out.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they've put out anything that rivals Blue or Pinkerton but at the same time I don't believe they could possibly put out an album that would be recognized as such. You have a fanbase that is, for all intents and purposes, completely on-board with those first two albums only and there isn't an album that could possibly be recorded that would appeal to them all.

They're further damned by the fact that even if they miraculously satisfied 85% of those fans it would still be seen as a disappointment or less-than.

I'm realistic about that stuff and as I said, I've been enjoying the last few albums.
Old 10-09-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It's good...but it's also instantly forgettable. I like that they actually took the record somewhat seriously but there isn't a single hook on there that's going to stick around (and I'm a huge Weezer fan). Even things like the Red album had "Pork And Beans" or "Troublemaker" despite the other 80% of the album being garbage. But there's no hooks in here at all.
Old 10-09-14, 01:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

there's a limited edtion SACD stereo remastered version 'The Blue Album' coming out soon:

Old 10-09-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I wouldn't go so far as to say they've put out anything that rivals Blue or Pinkerton but at the same time I don't believe they could possibly put out an album that would be recognized as such. You have a fanbase that is, for all intents and purposes, completely on-board with those first two albums only and there isn't an album that could possibly be recorded that would appeal to them all.

They're further damned by the fact that even if they miraculously satisfied 85% of those fans it would still be seen as a disappointment or less-than.
I agree with all of this. I do sort of feel bad for Weezer because they have a fanbase that likes to bitch and moan about how every album they put out isn't The Blue Album or Pinkerton and are pretty much unwilling to give anything beyond those albums a chance. Granted those two albums are great but I don't think that Weezer begins and ends with those two albums.

I've liked a lot of their output and admit there was a time when I was a pretty big fanboy of them. I still like them but somewhere along the line they lost me a bit and they're no longer a band I listen to consistently. I like the first two albums along with The Green Album, The Red Album, and Hurley. I think Make Believe is somewhat underrated and has some really good songs but a lot of crap. Maladroit is in my opinion their weakest effort and Raditude is a weird album that seemed like they were trying too hard to be hip. I thought Raditude had it's moments but overall is another pretty weak effort.
Old 10-09-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I really love "Go Away." Not much else on the album is great. No real hooks. The last three part song is pretty good.
Old 10-09-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must be too much of a fan (go figure with this avatar forever), because I think this record is GREAT. It doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, but no hooks?! Come on! Ain't Got Nobody, Da Vinci, Cleopatra, Foolish Father and Go Away are all catchy as hell. It might take two or three listens to really stick with you, but I think it's definitely one of their most consistent albums and I love almost all of it. There are 1 or 2 tracks that miss the mark, but this thing kicks ass IMO.
Old 10-09-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to grab it on vinyl this weekend. Only a few bands I do that for, and Weezer is one of them.
Old 10-10-14, 04:01 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by sherm42
I really love "Go Away." Not much else on the album is great. No real hooks. The last three part song is pretty good.
Agreed

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.