Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Filmmaking Analysis Found Online

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-14-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I ran across this YT channel called "Every Frame a Painting" ( link ) that's run by someone who does very good analysis of filmmakers and their style.

So I figured I'd start a thread to talk about that channel as well as any other film analysis video essays and film essays that are out there.

Last edited by dhmac; 04-04-15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-14-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Filmmaking Analysis Found Online

For the 1st posting, "Every Frame a Painting" looks at something that Steven Spielberg does a lot in his movies that he calls "The Spielberg Oner"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8q4X2vDRfRk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-14-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And here's his look at Edgar Wright's visually based comedy style:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3FOzD4Sfgag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-14-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also liked this other guy's in-depth analysis of the 2011 film Drive starring Ryan Gosling

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fxYjFNh_aIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-14-14, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. The American comedy is very boring in visual.

Pisses me off that Wright is off Ant-Man. He's such a good director.
Old 07-14-14, 02:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Good analysis videos. I'm not sure I agree with the whole Edgar Wright being vastly superior to other comedy directors, because he uses a scene from This Is The End as an example (a weak one, mind you), which as a whole is a very good movie visually, and one of the funniest movies from last year. I laughed more at that than The World's End (which I still like, just not as much as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz). Wright uses a lot of the same camera tricks/shots/cuts in every movie. It's starting to get old.

The Drive Analyzed video was good, but
Spoiler:
I'm not sure Driver ever had a chance with Irene. It was never going to be a happily-ever-after ending for them. And I don't ever buy that Driver was a "bad guy" when he was killing guys trying to him and would've killed Irene and her son. He was just fighting fire with fire, because he had to.
Old 07-14-14, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude had issues. He was our hero but Driver wasn't exactly innocent. He was ready to beat that guy that came up in that restaurant or whatever.

Yeah, he was doing what needed to be done for Irene and her son but... There was something to him that Irene noticed at a certain point.
Old 07-14-14, 03:39 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree, I just didn't see what the guy in the video saw as him turning darker or whatever. He already was. And he knew that there was no way she'd want to be with him when he's caught up in the same bs as Standard was (in some ways). But after that deal went sour, it was pretty much kill or be killed.

As far as the guy in the restaurant, he was clearly not wanting his "worlds colliding" and be buddy buddy with some other criminal. I would have reacted the same way as Driver had. Sure he was ready to beat that guy, but he knew he wasn't going to have to.
Old 07-14-14, 04:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Yeah, good videos for sure. Even his Michael Bay one was interesting.

I think he's on-point regarding comedies. The camera work in so many of those flicks is so bland, and it doesn't need to be. We can blame Kevin Smith for a lot of that, I'm sure. But, watching the video, I actually laughed out loud at some of the Hot Fuzz clips (ie: When the Andy's walk off screen), and I'd seen that SO many times. It doesn't mean the not-so-visual movies are BAD, but they're just not as interesting as films, when they absolutely COULD be.

Anyway, thanks dhmac for sharing these. I look forward to watching more of them.
Old 07-14-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah, good videos for sure. Even his Michael Bay one was interesting.
Oh yeah, I need to post that one too because he (the 1st guy) made me think about Michael Bay as an auteur, which in itself, is an accomplishment.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2THVvshvq0Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-16-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 2nd guy (Chris Stuckmann) also did an in-depth analysis of Prometheus

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D7CChfYoO_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-22-14, 11:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-23-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Oh yeah, I need to post that one too because he (the 1st guy) made me think about Michael Bay as an auteur, which in itself, is an accomplishment.
Bay certainly is an auteur. So are Roger Corman, Ed Wood and Uwe Boll. Being an auteur doesn't necessarily make a director good.
Old 07-23-14, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah, good videos for sure. Even his Michael Bay one was interesting. I think he's on-point regarding comedies. The camera work in so many of those flicks is so bland, and it doesn't need to be. We can blame Kevin Smith for a lot of that, I'm sure. But, watching the video, I actually laughed out loud at some of the Hot Fuzz clips (ie: When the Andy's walk off screen), and I'd seen that SO many times. It doesn't mean the not-so-visual movies are BAD, but they're just not as interesting as films, when they absolutely COULD be. Anyway, thanks dhmac for sharing these. I look forward to watching more of them.
I think a lot of comedies are pegged to their stars too; Tom Shadyac is mostly content to lock his camera down and watch as Jim Carrey goes nuts. Lots of comedies aren't very plot-heavy either, their loose structure probably doesn't lend itself to some directors. Obviously, comedies certainly don't have to be this way, but I think a lot of Hollywood ones are. As Supermallet always does, he pointed out something I hadn't noticed, which is how impressive much of Edgar Wright's camera technique is, especially for someone TV-bred.
Old 07-24-14, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Bay certainly is an auteur. So are Roger Corman, Ed Wood and Uwe Boll. Being an auteur doesn't necessarily make a director good.
I'm using the word in the long standing usage by French film critics to indicate a filmmaker with a certain viewpoint that stands out across multiple films. I don't think Roger Corman or Uwe Boll fit that definition because the films they directed are rather scattershot with no overall personal vision coming through for either one. Ed Wood does fit the definition, though, and truly is an auteur.
Old 07-24-14, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I'm using the word in the long standing usage by French film critics to indicate a filmmaker with a certain viewpoint that stands out across multiple films. I don't think Roger Corman or Uwe Boll fit that definition because the films they directed are rather scattershot with no overall personal vision coming through for either one. Ed Wood does fit the definition, though, and truly is an auteur.
That's the definition I'm using too. My test for an auteur is simple -- can someone unfamiliar with a director watch a group of his films and recognize they're by the same person without seeing the credits? Richard Donner, for instance, isn't an auteur because no one seeing Superman, The Omen, Goonies and Lethal Weapon would ever see any unity of vision between them. But show someone Bucket of Blood, X: The Man with X-Ray Eyes, House of Usher and Little Shop of Horrors, or a group of Boll's shitfests and I wager they'd recognize the commonalities.
Old 07-24-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Evidently some directors-Corman, Hawks, Ford, Carpenter, etc.- found some of the auteur analysis of their films fairly amusing.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-13-21)
Old 10-05-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Every Frame a Painting" has a new video about David Fincher (just in time for his new film):

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/107779620?badge=0&color=f0a400" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

David Fincher - And the Other Way is Wrong from Tony Zhou on Vimeo.

Old 11-11-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chris Stuckmann's analysis on the problem with Horror Movies today...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zz6KOsePEHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-16-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Trailers From Hell" has a lot of short talks about different movies that are pretty good.

Here's their video for John Carpenter's Assault On Precinct 13 (discussed by Neil Marshall)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AtBDgJL0fr0?list=UUg7Mllu8AnTjlZ4Vu1FNdjQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-16-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Evidently some directors-Corman, Hawks, Ford, Carpenter, etc.- found some of the auteur analysis of their films fairly amusing.
Of course. True auteurs don't think they've done anything special and remain humble.
Old 11-25-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Cynical Celluloid channel ( lampyman101 ) has some good film analysis videos on YT.

Here's the channel's analysis of the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey
( CLICK THIS LINK TO WATCH - because embedding was not allowed)

Old 11-25-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rob Ager's Collative Learning channel also has a detailed analysis of 2001: A Space Odyssey titled "2001: A Space Odyssey - The Meaning of the Monolith Revealed"

PART 1:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MSo6s_xrj4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PART 2:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mpWMnlMIWAU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-25-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Of course. True auteurs don't think they've done anything special and remain humble.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-13-21)
Old 11-25-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Occasionally, The Nostalgia Critic (from "That Guy With The Glasses" and the "League of Super Critics") gets a bit more analytical than satirical, such as in this look back at American Beauty

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wcwshDsIiG8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.