Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm wondering if many people know about this, since I did a search and it was never discussed. Leiji Matsumoto gave his approval to a remake of the original series, "Journey to Iscandar." It was made 2 years ago, so it's full of beautiful CGI mixed with hand-drawn animation. The warp sequence and wave motion gun firing are insane. Interestingly, they kept the old soundtrack and sound effects.

It's basically the same storyline, with a few changes, some new characters and more women. Yuki (Nova) looks more like your typical anime girl, of course. And Dr. Sane is still a drunk. This time, he didn't bring his cat along.

I'm only a few episodes in but it's a nice trip of nostalgia and a real good remake.
Old 07-07-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

All I know is, Voyager's official domestic release is almost insanely expensive for something that's not a straight out import with no extras, and the Star Blazers label on it (but no dubs).
Old 07-08-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank God for torrents.
Old 07-13-14, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok I'm making progress. There are definite changes. Kodai befriends a young sailor who also lost a brother in battle. Yuki doesn't like Kodai at all. There is a mystery woman who works in "accounting." I'm assuming a translation got screwed up because a space battleship does not need an accounting department. She drops a bombshell early on.

The crew has a lot more women, including several medics, all of whom seem modeled after the medic from StarCraft 2. There's also a girl working the bridge who has the pigtails like a junior idol. Many of the women have anime female proportions. And Dr. Sane is still a mad drunk. THere's also an oddball male pilot whose parents are monks and he often goes all Buddha on the crew.

The Gamilas has a lesser race working for them, doing the grunt work, and the Gamilas look down on them. Dessla is much more of an enigmatic figure with less air time than before. Also, the Gamillas have android soldiers.

The CG is nicely integrated with the hand drawn animation. The Wave Motion gun is cool but the warp sequence is seriously badass. ANd I love the fact that they kept the original sound effects and soundtrack. Hearing those battle sounds and music was so damn nostalgic.

Some screens

Last edited by Traxan; 07-13-14 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished it last night in a binge. What follows are total spoilers. They may motivate you to get the series. Believe me, I highly recommend it.

Spoiler:

So the biggest change is in Gamilas/Gammalons and Dessla/Desslok. We see the whole Gamilias society, including people who were conquered and serve the empire but as second-class citizens. There is one woman, a psychic, who is the last of her race. Fascinating character

Dessla is a real dick in this series. Nowhere near as casual as in the original. At the end, he's prepared to sacrifice millions of his people to stop the Yamato, and it's the Yamato that saves his people. When they have the ship gunfight at the end, there's none of that cocky comment about the earth's forces being led by "a little boy",the insult he threw at Wildstar. There's no redemption for him.

The Gamilas worship the Iscandarians as gods. They confuse Yuki for Yurisha (Starsha's sister) and kidnap her at one point. Dessla is also in love with Starsha but she rebuffs him.

There is much more contact with Gamilas, including exchanges of people. This leads them to realize they are no different except for skin color.

The show has more naval references. There is a "submarine" that can "submerge" into another dimension. It surfaces, shoots torpedeos, you name it. And the Gamilas keep talking about "sinking" the Yamato.

The Gamilas are much more obvious Nazis now. Generals have German sounding names and their collar logo looks like the SS lightning bolts.

The friendship and rivalry between Sanada and Kodai is severely toned down. In the original, it felt like Kodai was in charge once Okita went down. Not here. Sanada is in charge and has no friendship with Okita. There's also no reference to bionic/explosive limbs, either.

Starsha is pissed at the humans for creating the Wave Motion Gun. She tells them the Wave Motion Engine was for propulsion and defense. Earth made the gun on its own and she almost doesn't give them the Cosmo Cleaner.

Kodai's older brother survived the battle of Pluto and was taken prisoner but the ship crashed on Iscandar. Starsha could not help him. He records a final message to the ship and his brother. His ghost inhabits the Yamato on the journey back to earth.

The Cosmo Cleanser isn't a big machine. It's literally built into the body of the Yamato like a neural network. Pretty cool how it works.

Analyzer/IQ9 is nowhere near as bad as he was in the original. No sexual harrassing of Yuki. In one episode, he tries to reach out to an Gamilan android and it becomes a mash up of I, Robot, GitS and Blade Runner, but incredibly well done.

Really, I loved this retelling. They did an amazing job and I can't wait for the movies. Hopefully they will redo The Comet Empire as well.
Old 07-18-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

How did you see these? I just checked Amazon and they offer Blu-rays of this series but they're quite expensive and they appear to be Japanese imports that just happen to be subtitled. Is there a U.S. release of this planned?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Torrents. I found one torrent with all 26 episodes that had English subtitles. I downloaded them ages ago before the Blu-rays were even released and just now got around to watching them.
Old 07-18-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
How did you see these? I just checked Amazon and they offer Blu-rays of this series but they're quite expensive and they appear to be Japanese imports that just happen to be subtitled. Is there a U.S. release of this planned?

Thanks.
There are probably not just the Japanese imports, the company that has the rights (Voyager) domestically is just insane and made these limited, expensive, and with few extras. 45 bucks for 4 episodes, plus they mar the cover with the Star Blazers logo (and it's not dubbed).
Old 07-18-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I saw serious bitching on Anime News Network forums about the pricing. Way to screw fans. I want to be legit but that's no incentive.

I remember when the original series was released and they had interviews with the voice cast. Eddie Allen, who did Desslok, was so awesome. What a character.
Old 11-15-17, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To resurrect this old thread, Crunchyroll now has this for streaming but they're doing one episode a week like it's a new release, and I have no idea why. At first I thought it was the sequel or something. Nice to finally be able to watch it legit, and the animation at least in the first few episodes holds up really well.

This and Macross are two properties I wouldn't mind paying to get a premium release, and alas neither will probably see the light of day here. Well at least we have Gundam.

Edited to add: oh, I guess Funi is doing a dub on their channel so a re release is probably imminent. Yay! They still call it Star Blazers but hey, I watched Star Blazers so I don't mind them calling attention to it as long as they don't alter all the names back or anything.

Edited again: geez Voyager didn't even bother releasing the last two disks way back when? Talk about a botched release. It's said that they tried to get this on Toonami way back when and the licensing issues killed it.

Last edited by fujishig; 11-15-17 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-16-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw the English dubs and they are quite good but the original Starblazers voices are so burned into my head now, especially Kodai and Dessla, it's just hard to hear anything else.
Old 02-21-18, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
I saw the English dubs and they are quite good but the original Starblazers voices are so burned into my head now, especially Kodai and Dessla, it's just hard to hear anything else.

100x this. Those american voices burned into my brain when I was a kid. They still are. I can still hear Derek Wildstar and Mark Venture and Captain Avatar in my brain.

GET 'EM OUT!!! AAHHH!