Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Yay or nay - Criminal Minds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-14, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Yay or nay - Criminal Minds?

Favorite shows: X-Files, CSI Vegas, ER, Continuum, Psych, Monk, House, M.D.

$90 for 8 seasons worth seems mighty tempting...

Last edited by GatorDeb; 07-04-14 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-04-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Yay or nay - Criminal Minds?

Shouldn't this be in DVD Bargains since you're specifically asking about a bargain from Amazon?

Criminal Minds is one of my favorite procedurals. For the record, 9 seasons have aired.

But, I thought you barely had any room for stuff and were trying to get rid of things? Now you want to stock up on 9 more DVD sets?

Edit: I suppose it's a good deal, but the ION network and A&E airs Criminal Minds repeats all the time. I would watch a few episodes there to see if you like it first before spending $90 for something you've never seen. It's a procedural drama, so it's fairly easy to jump in.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-04-14 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-04-14, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Nah. It is in syndication all over the place. You'll only cycle through it once.
Old 07-04-14, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nay, echoing the above reasons.

Just because it is on sale does not mean you have to buy it. I learn that recently myself, and it is a good lesson.
Old 07-04-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Nay, echoing the above reasons.

Just because it is on sale does not mean you have to buy it. I learn that recently myself, and it is a good lesson.
Last year, Amazon had CSI Miami and CSI NY complete series on sale for a little less than $100 each. But, I asked myself, do I really need to spend that kind of money and stock up on 19 more TV on DVD sets? Granted, it was a good deal, but I just didn't need them and Netflix has every episode of both shows available for streaming as well. If I really really wanted to re-visit an old episode, I could use that option.

Yes, there are some shows that I am a fan enough of that I purchase each season yearly. But, just because I watched something on TV and it's good, it doesn't mean that I need to own it. (another valuable lesson I learned as well)
Old 07-04-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Shouldn't this be in DVD Bargains since you're specifically asking about a bargain from Amazon?

Criminal Minds is one of my favorite procedurals. For the record, 9 seasons have aired.

But, I thought you barely had any room for stuff and were trying to get rid of things? Now you want to stock up on 9 more DVD sets?

Edit: I suppose it's a good deal, but the ION network and A&E airs Criminal Minds repeats all the time. I would watch a few episodes there to see if you like it first before spending $90 for something you've never seen. It's a procedural drama, so it's fairly easy to jump in.

eBay.... not really asking about a price I just threw that in there Asking about the show.
Old 07-04-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I enjoy the show. I think it's well done (though in the middle, they kind of got rid of a lot of the female actors and then eventually brought them back). It's pretty dark and disturbing sometimes, but that's kind of the nature of this type of show. My rec is to find one of the channels that shows reruns and watch a couple first. You might want to try a couple from the first couple seasons and then a couple from the last couple seasons as there was a change to the core group of profilers about 4/5 seasons in. Some of the situations they investigate are pretty realistic and can be graphic, so if that is a problem, I'd skip it.

Personally, I'm glad that they got renewed for another season this fall, but even with how much I enjoy the show, I doubt I'll end up with it in my collection.
Old 07-04-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I only bothered picking up the first two seasons of Criminal Minds with Mandy Patinkin playing Jason Gideon.

In terms of other long running procedural shows, I haven't really picked up many of them on dvd. There's still a few older seasons I may still want to get eventually. They're simply not a priority at the present time.

I still want to eventually get:

- CSI seasons 3 to 8 with William Petersen playing Gil Grissom. (I already have seasons 1 and 9 on bluray, and season 2 on dvd).
- Law & Order SVU seasons 4, 5, and 7 (maybe 8 and 9). (I already have seasons 1-3 and 6).
- Law & Order Criminal Intent seasons 6 and 7 with Chris Noth playing Mike Logan. (I already have seasons 1 to 5).
- Without a Trace seasons 1 and 2.
- Law & Order seasons 18 to 20. (I already have seasons 1 to 9, and 14).

This is largely reflective of the time period during mid-2007 to late-2008 when I was watching a lot of these shows in daily reruns and some new first-run episodes. (Such as daily multiple episodes of CSI reruns on Spike). (Without a Trace was two rerun episodes weekly on MyTV, where I mostly watched season 2 episodes). I didn't really follow these shows that closely anymore after the 2007-2008 Writer's Guild of America strike.

Other long running procedurals that I want to get eventually: Psych, The Mentalist, earlier seasons of House MD.

Last edited by morriscroy; 07-04-14 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-04-14, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

I've enjoyed the run, especially when Mandy Patinkin was in it. Not something I would purchase, though.

And it gets tiring hearing them say "UNSUB" a LOT.
Old 07-04-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd recommend skipping it. But that's a personal preference. I don't find Criminal Minds to be very re-watchable. And it's available on streaming services.

I have a 2 tiered approach to TV shows on DVD. For those dozen shows or so that have personal significance to me, I'll buy the whole series. Because I enjoy them and I'll watch them and rewatch them. For shows that I simply would like to watch (to remember the show that I watched back in the day, or a temporary "craving") I'll buy a single season. It's enough of a taste to satisfy that need.
Old 07-04-14, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I watch it every week and enjoy it. That being said, I have never felt the desire to rewatch any of the episodes when I come across them in syndication. I do not own any of the seasons either.
Old 07-04-14, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don't mind the series once in a while. It's a better series than a lot of the other procedural types that are all over network tv. Not sure how much replay value there is in it though like others have said. My dad likes to watch it in reruns but I think that's more just because it's something that's on that he likes. I got him a couple of the DVD sets when they were on sale but I don't know that he's watched them.
Old 07-04-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer
I'd recommend skipping it. But that's a personal preference. I don't find Criminal Minds to be very re-watchable. And it's available on streaming services.
It's not available to stream for free on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu. It's available to buy on Amazon streaming.
Old 07-05-14, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Criminal Minds is a good show. With that said, it's not a show I would buy (especially at nearly $100). It's on TV all the time in syndication and doesn't really hold replay. It's a great show for background noise, and although I'm a fan I don't feel the need to own it.

It's a standard procedural -- if you got money to burn then go for it but as someone who has watched the show from the beginning I can honesty say it's not a show I feel the need to re-watch once the episode so over.
Old 07-05-14, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
It's a great show for background noise, and although I'm a fan I don't feel the need to own it.
Similar sentiments on other shows in daily reruns like:

- NCIS
- NCIS: Los Angeles
- CSI: Miami
- CSI: NY
- Castle
- Cold Case
- etc ...

Not the type of shows I would pick up on dvd (or bluray).

I pretty much "burned out" on following numerous daily rerun shows, after my huge "binge" during 2007-2008. (Mentioned in my previous post upthread).

Prior to mid-2007, I didn't really watch any current tv shows for almost 20 years, other than Star Trek TOS reruns and 24-hour news channels.

Though for a short 6-9 months period in 1999/2000 when I briefly had cable, I watched a lot of Silk Stalkings reruns and Showtime's "Sci Fridays" shows like the revived Outer Limits and Total Recall 2070. Also watched a lot of VH1 stuff like "Behind the Music" documentaries and cheesy vh1 movies. After this time period, cable was dropped.

Last edited by morriscroy; 07-05-14 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-05-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
It's not available to stream for free on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu. It's available to buy on Amazon streaming.
Oops. Thanks for the clarification. My daughter is a big fan of the show and she watches it constantly so I assumed that it was on one of those 3 streaming services. I guess it goes to show how readily available it is to watch.

But if you think it would have replay value for you, and you're looking to be a cord-cutter, that may be enough reason to justify the purchase.