Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Defiance (SyFy) -- Season 2 Discussion Thread -- 6/19/14

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Defiance (SyFy) -- Season 2 Discussion Thread -- 6/19/14

Returns Thursday, June 19 at 8PM - As the story of Defiance resumes, the lives of the townspeople are in drastic turmoil. The Earth Republic has assumed control of the town, with far-reaching consequences including a new mayor. Nolan traverses the badlands to find a lost Irisa, Amanda has an unexpected new role in the town as she searches for Kenya and the Tarr family desperately tries to keep control of their criminal empire in the midst of dramatic changes. Grant Bowler returns as Nolan, along with Julie Benz as Amanda Rosewater, Stephanie Leonidas as Irisa, Tony Curran as Datak Tarr, Jaime Murray as Stahma Tarr, Graham Greene as Rafe McCawley and Jesse Rath as Alak Tarr. The cast also features Dewshane Williams as Tommy, Trenna Keating as Doc Yewll, Justin Rain as Quentin McCawley and Nicole Munoz as Christie McCawley. James Murray joins the cast in the integral role of Mayor Pottinger, the new mayor of Defiance. William Atherton also joins the cast to portray high-ranking Earth Republic official Viceroy Mercado, and Anna Hopkins will play the role of Earth Republic soldier and documentarian Jessica "Berlin" Rainier. Linda Hamilton will play the key recurring role of Pilar McCawley, the wife of Rafe McCawley (Greene) and mother to their three children. Kevin Murphy (Desperate Housewives, Caprica) resumes his role as executive producer and showrunner. "Smallville's" Darren Swimmer and Todd Slavkin return as executive producers for season two and Michael Taylor serves as consulting producer. Michael Nankin (co-executive producer) directs the Season 2 opener.

13 episode 2nd season

Remember this show? The last episode aired July 8, 2013.

Season 1 is available on Amazon Prime. Also, the DVDs/BDs were released and Syfy aired a marathon of season 1 about a month or so ago. So there are/were alot of ways to catch up in case you wanted to give this show another go or never go to it last year.

I thought season 1 was a little tough to get into, but it got better towards the end if you were patient enough to stick with it.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/StMa5ygofvg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-19-14, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Defiance (SyFy) -- Season 2 Discussion Thread -- 6/19/14

I'm tuning in tonight. I agree it was slow going in the beginning, but I think it found its feet about halfway through. It's been a loooooooonnnnngggggg break, though! :-)
Old 06-19-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Oh, shit. I forgot all about this.
Old 06-19-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Last season available on any streaming service? Also, how was the video game?
Old 06-19-14, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Last season available on any streaming service? Also, how was the video game?
Yeah I just said it in post #1, free streaming on Amazon Prime for season 1.
Old 06-19-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

It's summer so I'll probably watch this in July once Continuum and Orphan Black wrap up.
Old 06-19-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really enjoyed the pilot. Sadly, I missed the first four minutes so I felt a tad lost at first. I like that they redid the daughter's prosthetic makeup to better show off more of the actress' lovely face. Stahma giving her son "straight talk" was fantastic.
Old 06-19-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Good first episode. I almost thought they used a different actress for Irisa. Good to see a little more of Stephanie Leonidas.
Last season took me about 2 episodes and I was in. I expect this season to be much more from previews I've seen.
Old 06-20-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Forgot to mention that the scene with Datak trying to get a handjob from the doctor and her reaction was hilarious.
Old 06-20-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed this for what it was. A summer brainless show. Sure as hell a lot better than Falling Skies bullshit.

I enjoyed the world building, but do miss Amanda.
Old 06-20-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Brainless show ?
Falling Skies bullshit ? You mean the show that's on it's 4th season ?
Old 06-21-14, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because it gets renewed does not have any reflection on the quality of the show.

But hey, Falling Skies must be a better show than Firefly because Firefly only got less than a season, right?
Old 06-21-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Falling Skies has been a pretty brain-dead show in its existence, the epitome of mindless sci-fi entertainment for the summer. Defiance is not a classic series but has shown more promise in its early run so far.

I thought this was a solid opening episode for the season, laying out a taste of the shifting power dynamics within Defiance.
Old 06-22-14, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They had a bunch of mini web episode out while the show was off. Well worth it to watch them.

I liked the first episode. I was a little lost because I forgot most of what happen last season but I'm up to speed now.
Old 06-22-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Totally forgot this was back on. Still had all of last season on my DVR, so I watched it again yesterday as a refresher and just finished watching the first episode. Thought it was pretty good! I enjoy this show...wouldn't call it "brainless"...also enjoy it much more than Falling Skies.
Old 06-23-14, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I missed the first four minutes so I felt a tad lost at first
I was totally lost at the start too. I going to guess the show had some web eps I missed or moved the story along in the video game or something.

being they did the whole "9 months later" jump but they never even touched on some of the store line plot points that they ended last season on. Oh they hit the ground running on the after math but it really felt like I was watched the 2nd or 3rd ep of season 2 already..

but I'll keep watching.. Oh and love the part where the two guys escaped being one of them was so clearly a "red shirt" level cannon fodder person on the show. You just knew what bad thing might happen, it was going to happen to him..
Old 06-23-14, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought it was a pretty good 1st episode despite the really long gap since the 1st season.

I admit I was a little lost at first, but it wasn't too hard to figure things out.

I forgot that Datak was imprisoned, but I didn't remember the other new Mayor taking over.

Joshua's little rampage was pretty badass, especially killing that one guy in New Chicago.

Funny that Stephanie Leonidas a really gorgeous girl without the Irisa makeup.

at Stahma playing with herself while bathing.

What happened to Christie? I don't recall seeing her here. Wasn't she involved with Alak in the 1st season?
Old 06-23-14, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
What happened to Christie? I don't recall seeing her here. Wasn't she involved with Alak in the 1st season?
The miner's daughter? She appeared in one scene preparing a meal for Alak and Stahma. No dialogue.

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-23-14 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk God

The miner's daughter? She appeared in one seen preparing a meal for Alak and Stahma. No dialogue.
Yup, that's her. I must have missed that.

Amanda looked really good in that black dress.

Wonder how long before she finds out that Kenya's dead.
Old 06-23-14, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could have done without the hand-jobs but others so-far-so-good. Lots of random death here and there...
Old 06-23-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
I could have done without the hand-jobs but others so-far-so-good. Lots of random death here and there...
What was weird about it is they had two different hand-job scenes in the same episode.
Old 06-26-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Defiance (S2E02) -- "In My Secret Life" -- 6/26/14

Irisa is arrested upon her return to Defiance, but Nolan can arrange her release by capturing those responsible for an explosion that nearly killed Mayor Pottinger. Meanwhile, Stahma decides the only way to stay in control of her family's criminal enterprises is by ensuring that Datak stays behind bars.

Episode 2 of 13

Previous Threads:

Episode 1
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-19-14-a.html
Old 06-28-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really enjoyed the pilot. Sadly, I missed the first four minutes so I felt a tad lost at first. I like that they redid the daughter's prosthetic makeup to better show off more of the actress' lovely face. Stahma giving her son "straight talk" was fantastic.
i really was captivated by how much better she looked and the long hair helped immensely.

the first hand job scene was shot in a way/at an angle i was expecting them to show him finishing on her face. then i remembered this was syfylis, not HBO. second handie was out of place, unless datak has lost touch with reality. was as weird as donald pleasance asking steve mcqueen to blow him while they plot the great escape.

everything looked better overall on the show, so maybe they got a bump in budget and can use digital cameras instead of taking a bunch of Polaroids and moving them really quickly, like last year.

julie benz looked amazing in that dress.

you have to wonder about a leader who wears a cape, a sash AND a breastplate but no top hat or monocle.

i still hate alak and his scenes leave me as unsatisfied as a Castithan hand job.
Old 06-28-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Defiance (S2E02) -- "In My Secret Life" -- 6/26/14

Thought it was a good episode, but that song they played at the end was awful.

Mainly served as a segue to get Nolan and Irisa back to Defiance. Now Nolan got his job back as Lawkeeper.

If I'm a betting man, Amanda will be mayor of Defiance again before the season is over. What a perv that new Mayor is.

Poor Datak, still locked up, but guess he's in good graces with the mayor saving his life.
Old 06-28-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I almost coughed up tea on the monitor after reading the above post.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.