Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-14-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone else listening to this? Probably my album of the year thus far and the best country album I've heard in years.

Here's the video for his single "Turtles All The Way Down":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gBV-Nzq7Pg

His cover of When In Rome's "The Promise":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQCD9Vh_CtE

Great Rolling Stone interview:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...lp-it-20140603
Old 06-14-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music

i'm digging on it but lydia loveless has got my album of the year title locked...well that is until i hear the new justin townes earle and ryan adams records.
Old 06-17-14, 11:02 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

This is my favorite album of the year so far. Turns out Sturgill Simpson is from the same small Eastern Kentucky town as my father.
Old 06-17-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
lydia loveless has got my album of the year title locked...
Old 06-25-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Anyone else listening to this? Probably my album of the year thus far and the best country album I've heard in years.

Here's the video for his single "Turtles All The Way Down":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gBV-Nzq7Pg

His cover of When In Rome's "The Promise":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQCD9Vh_CtE

Great Rolling Stone interview:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...lp-it-20140603
Great album. Too bad he's not "country-pop" enough to get any recognition at any of the 10,000 country music awards shows.
Old 10-31-14, 10:59 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Never heard of this guy before. Saw him perform on Fallon the other night and needless to say, picked up the album. Been listening to it over the past day. Good stuff
Old 10-31-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Good stuff indeed, one of the few things I have purchased this year. The free NoiseTrade sampler from his previous album got me hooked.
Old 11-19-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

His first album is brilliant as well. He blows always all the NashTrash, Bro-Country horseshit that's been clogging up the airwaves. The sincerity and authenticity of his music is stunning.
Old 11-19-14, 04:21 PM

Does anyone know if there's any way to legally get the album he did as part of Sunday Valley apart from eBay? Apparently iTunes used to have it but was taken down.
Old 11-22-14, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is in my Top 5 albums of the year for sure along with....

Wussy - Attica!
Lydia Loveless - Somewhere Else
The Afghan Whigs - Do to the Beast
Frontier Folk Nebraska - Frontier F**k Nebraska
Old 11-23-14, 03:25 AM

If I was doing my top 5 right now, it'd be...
Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWx6csgGkg4
Hiss Golden Messenger - Lateness of Dancers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaXXrDqXcTo
Old 97's - Most Messed Up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjo0wTuDqYw
Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQxco17how
Restorations - LP3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rv6q1-y27Q

With honorable mentions to...
War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LmX5c7HoUw
Tycho - Awake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX5XKFn7Ngo
Drive-By Truckers - English Oceans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RURjjKFzU_8
Shovels & Rope - Swimmin' Time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzCR-LY26VY
Steve Gunn - Way Out Weather https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckSY12Dmw8Q

Last edited by Gdrlv; 11-23-14 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-23-14, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started listening to him after hearing him on the Rogan podcast and have been hooked on his album ever since (I've probably listened to it 20-30 times the past few weeks), great voice, great sound...dude should be a star.
Old 11-24-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Some great guitar sounds on this album!
Old 11-27-14, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great guitar sounds
Old 12-08-14, 08:33 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 08-31-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I just got around to listening to this album and have to say I was thoroughly impressed.

So yeah, I'm hopping on the Sturgill Simpson band wagon, introduced by an anti-Music Industry post that referenced Watchmen

Lyrically, Turtles All the Way Down is one of the most amusing and somehow sweet songs I've heard in ages. And It Ain't All Flowers is a new favorite to zone out to. Haven't had a chance to listen to A Sailor's Guide to Earth yet but that's queued up and ready to go.
Old 08-31-16, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought this was bumped because of his recent rant against the Nashville music monster and the CMAs naming an award for Merle Haggard while they wanted nothing to do with him while he was alive.
It's actually a great rant:

Many years back, much like Willie and Waylon had years before, Merle Haggard said,
"Fuck this town. I'm moving." and he left Nashville.
According to my sources, it was right after a record executive told him that "Kern River" was a bad song. In the last chapter of his career and his life, Nashville wouldn't call, play, or touch him. He felt forgotten and tossed aside. I always got a sense that he wanted one last hit..one last proper victory lap of his own, and we all know deserved it. Yet it never came. And now he's gone.

Im writing this because I want to go on record and say I find it utterly disgusting the way everybody on Music Row is coming up with any reason they can to hitch their wagon to his name while knowing full and damn well what he thought about them. If the ACM wants to actually celebrate the legacy and music of Merle Haggard, they should drop all the formulaic cannon fodder bullshit they've been pumping down rural America's throat for the last 30 years along with all the high school pageantry, meat parade award show bullshit and start dedicating their programs to more actual Country Music.

While Im venting about the unjust treatment of a bonafide American music legend, I should also add, if for no other reasons than sheer principal and to get the taste I've been choking back for months now out of my mouth, that Merle was supposed to be on the cover of Garden & Gun magazine's big Country Music issue (along with myself) a few months back.
They reached out to both of us in October of last year while I was on a west coast tour. Merle was home off the road so I took a day off and traveled up to Redding.
He was so excited about it and it goes without saying that I was completely beside myself along with my Grandfather who has always been a HUGE Merle fan. We spent the whole day of the interview visiting in his living room with our families and had a wonderful conversation with the journalist. Then we spent about two hours outside being photographed by a brilliant and highly respected photographer named David McClister until Merle had enough...he was still recovering from a recent bout of double pneumonia at the time and it was a bit cold that day on the ranch.
But then at the last minute, the magazine's editor put Chris Stapleton on the cover without telling anyone until they had already gone to print. Don't get me wrong, Chris had a great year and deserves a million magazine covers...but thats not the point.
Its about keeping your word and ethics.
Chris also knows this as he called me personally to express his disgust at the situation. Dude's a class act.
The editor later claimed in a completely bullshit email apology to both Merle's publicist and ours (Chris and I share the same publicist) that they didn't get any good shots that day.
David McClister..
2 hour shoot..
no good photos..
OK buddy,..whatever you say.
Anyway, Merle passed away right after it came out.

Some days, this town and this industry have a way of making we wish I could just go sit on Mars and build glass clocks.

Sturgill

UPDATED:
Shortly after I initially posted this it was announced that Miranda Lambert would be the award recipient.
Before people start chasing clickbait by putting words in my mouth I feel the need to clarify that I was not aware of this at the time of my original post and my words were in no way directed at her. I know that Merle liked and respected her so it's good to see there is at least some blue sky in all of this.
I don't know Miranda nor have I ever met her but something tells me that in her heart, she knows I'm dead on. I am also aware that the ACM is a West Coast organization originally created to recognize West Coast artists like Merle and they have handed Merle many trophies over the years,..even in the last 15 or so mind you. It's also worth noting that the last one was handed to him by none other than Miranda Lambert herself.
But all of this is irrelevant as none of it has anything to do with the original point I was trying to make. My point was that all of these organizations don't walk it like they talk it. I called The ACM out directly because they are simply the latest in a long line of organizations that have done the same since Merle's death...and even before. Showing homage and handing lifetime achievement awards to the greats of yesterday while claiming to uphold and hold dear the original values and integrity of Country music's legacy. Yet these are just hollow words...merely empty semantics. One needs only to look glancingly at the majority of the music that they, along with the CMA's, predominantly choose to recognize and promote at their award shows.

I fully realize that as I type this, meetings and conversations are taking place on music Row to ensure I am blackballed from the industry and that's perfectly fine with me. Im not sure how you can blackball somebody you don't acknowledge in the first place anyway. Yet, even though they mostly go out of their way to ignore artists like myself and Jason Isbell, I assure you they are more than aware of our existence. They are also well aware that we don't need them. Our last albums went to #1 without any help from the Mainstream Country Music establishment...and our next albums will too. With that said, I have no more need to make enemies with these people than I have a need to be their friends. If anything I'm trying to help them. Because more and more everyday, people are waking up to the situation and they are pissed. Perhaps Country Music, especially Nashville, should wake up too before it's too late.

I should also go ahead and add here that whether or not I am nominated for a CMA award this year, I will not be attending the ceremony for no other reason than the fact I already have a sold out show scheduled in Des Moines, Iowa on the night of the awards ceremony and I have no plans to change that.

Mostly though, I just wish Merle was still alive.
I'd love for them to all hear his thoughts on the matter.

P.S. Fuck this town. I'm moving.
As if I didn't love him enough before this...
Old 08-31-16, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep, that's the rant that introduced me to his music. Good stuff.
Old 09-08-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Haven't had a chance to listen to A Sailor's Guide to Earth yet but that's queued up and ready to go.
Speaking of which, the album is currently $0.99 on Google Play, so get it while you can (if you haven't already).
Old 09-09-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sturgill is great.

I also recommend Sam Outlaw and Kelsey Waldon if you're looking for country that's not CMA country.
Old 09-09-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Sturgill is great.

I also recommend Sam Outlaw and Kelsey Waldon if you're looking for country that's not CMA country.
I'll have to check em out, I'm still working through this ridiculous list that came up in a thread about the Sturgill rant.

Spoiler:

Turnpike Troubadours - Long Summer Day
Mike & The Moonpies - Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em
American Aquarium - Wolves (BJ Barham just released a great solo record as well)
Jason Isbell - Cover Me Up
The Cactus Blossoms - Stoplight Kisses
Aaron Watson - Getaway Truck
Margo Price - Hurtin' On The Bottle
Kacey Musgraves - Biscuits
Sturgill Simpson - Life of Sin
Chris Stapleton - Tennessee Whiskey

Corb Lund - S Lazy H (this may seem like a weird choice for some fans, but this song is fantastic songwriting. Check out all of his stuff, he is one of the best currently working.
Gord Bamford - Breakfast Beer
Daniel Romano - Middle Child
George Canyon - I'll Never Do Better Than You
Cody Jinks - I'm Not The Devil
Jamey Johnson - For The Good Times
John Moreland - Nobody Gives A Damn About The Songs Anymore
Whitey Morgan and The 78's - I Ain't Drunk
Michaela Anne - Ease My Mind
Lindi Ortega - Tin Star
Jason Boland & The Stragglers - Pearl Snaps
Hayes Carll - The Magic Kid
Whiskey Myers - Broken Window Serenade
The Damn Quails - Fools Gold
Nick 13 - In The Orchard
Micky and The Motorcars - Naive
Wade Bowen - When I Woke Up Today
Old 97's - Timebomb
Ryan Bingham - Southside of Heaven
Nikki Lane - Right Time
Dale Watson - A Real Country Song
Trampled by Turtles - Alone
Brandy Clark - Girl Next Door
Amanda Shires - Devastate
Tim Hus - Western Star
The Bros. Landreth - I Am The Fool
Tami Neilson - Dynamite
Lucette - Fields Of Plenty
Hurray for the Riff Raff - Junebug Waltz
Caleb Caudle - Carolina Ghost
Colter Wall - Sleeping on the Blacktop
Robbie Fulks - I'll Trade You Money For Wine
Jason Eady - Cry Pretty
Luke Bell - Sometimes
Lydia Loveless - Everything's Gone
Uncle Lucius - Keep The Wolves Away
Reckless Kelly - Wicked Twisted Road
Max Stalling - 6x9 Speakers
Scott H. Biram - Slow & Easy
Lori McKenna - Numbered Doors
Caitlin Rose - Own Side
Tift Merritt - Traveling Alone
Andrew Combs - Too Stoned to Cry
Stoney Larue - Feet Don't Touch The Ground
The Devil Makes Three - Old Number 7
The Rifle & The Writer - The Bar Around The Bend(and shamelessly, a song I wrote last year about my frustrations with the genre.)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...xyLGEtNoteCVs-
https://play.spotify.com/user/jswish...yYTd9BcXQ6wBez

Originally Posted by printerati
Speaking of which, the album is currently $0.99 on Google Play, so get it while you can (if you haven't already).
Bought it to be supportive, not as strong as Metamodern but still pretty good.
Old 09-09-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Sturgill is great.

And on the female side, check out Margo Price and Jamie Wyatt for some great "outlaw" country this side of Cherlene.