Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Has Fables stayed good throughout it's entire run?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 985 Likes on 694 Posts

So I'm on a total comic high for the first time in years right now and just read that Fables is ending next year (I know it's old news). I think I've read through the first 50-60 issues and I always enjoyed it. In fact I bailed on the tv show Once Upon a Time after a season because I couldn't watch without constantly comparing it to (the far superior) Fables. My question for those who have stuck with it, has it stayed good? I know there have been a handful of spin-offs and mini-series. Are those essential to following the story? Knowing that it has a definitive endpoint makes me want to catch up in time for the ending.
Old 06-13-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: Has Fables stayed good throughout it's entire run?

I read up until 100 or so, and bailed around then. But instead of different fun arcs, it was all "Prepare for WAR WAR WAR" so I got a little bored of that. I want to re-read and catch up, since I'm still interested in the characters and where they're headed.

Jack of Fables isn't essential to the story (except for during "The Great Fables Crossover" which crossed over three titles, and wasn't really that good), it was entertaining, but wasn't a favorite. More comedic, so it is a change of pace. I never got to read the Cinderella one. The book "Peter & Max" was really good though, I recommend that.
Old 06-13-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
So I'm on a total comic high for the first time in years right now and just read that Fables is ending next year (I know it's old news). I think I've read through the first 50-60 issues and I always enjoyed it. In fact I bailed on the tv show Once Upon a Time after a season because I couldn't watch without constantly comparing it to (the far superior) Fables. My question for those who have stuck with it, has it stayed good? I know there have been a handful of spin-offs and mini-series. Are those essential to following the story? Knowing that it has a definitive endpoint makes me want to catch up in time for the ending.
I almost bailed on Once Upon A Time myself but it got a lot better in the last half-season. The princess from Frozen is planned for next season.
Old 06-13-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

As someone that's largely caught up with the main comic (haven't read any of the spinoffs), I think its still good. I would say enjoyed the main story arc of The Adversary and the homelands far more to primary story arc that followed it, mostly because I didn't care for the new villain. There are some interesting things that happen to a lot of the other characters though, particularly Boy Blue, Buffkin, and of course Bigby and Snow. All of those events were far more entertaining to me.
Old 06-13-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Read up to the end of the Adversary storyline, which was good, and then quit reading as I heard it went south afterward.
Old 06-13-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Even though the adversary storyline would have been a natural end-point, there have been some decent storylines since so I've kept reading the trades, and as it gets towards the end I've been reading them as they come out (it's up to 140 now so 10 to go). I think of the offshoots, I kind of like Fairest and Cinderella was ok. Since I disliked the Great Fables Crossover or really the character of Jack, I never bothered with Jack of Fables. I loved the Peter and Max book, I wish he'd write another one.

Last edited by Ginwen; 06-13-14 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-26-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wasn't really another Fables thread to bump and didn't feel like creating a new one, but anyone planning on picking up #150? I'm excited to finally read the conclusion.
Old 07-26-15, 08:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I loved Bill Willingham's work back in the 80s and 90s, mainly Elementals from Comico but there must have been other work too. I checked out Fables early in its run and knew that it was a title I'd love. I bought four random trades over the years, but I normally don't fully read anything until the run is done. I just five minutes ago bought the missing 16 collections digitally ($5 each) and plan to read the whole thing next month for the Fantasy Challenge.
Old 07-27-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I have a close friend who is an inker. Back a dozen years or so ago He had a handful of comic people at his house for a group work session.
Bill Willingham was there and he was nice enough to sign a ton of books for me including Elementals and the adult book he did for a bit.

Was a nice guy, he didn't have to do it but it was his idea.
Old 07-27-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I got to interview him (in person) a few years back and he was very nice. He also said he was going to steal my wife's name for a character. I haven't noticed it in any of his work yet, but I also don't read everything he writes.
Old 07-28-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I bought the issue today on Kindle. Looking forward to reading it tonight. Or maybe a bit on my lunch break
Old 07-28-15, 12:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I bought the issue today on Kindle. Looking forward to reading it tonight. Or maybe a bit on my lunch break
Is that Kindle book lendable? If so, I think a few of us are going to want to borrow it come the end of August.
Old 07-28-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like it. Didn't even know anything about loaning books, but i'd be happy to once i'm done reading it.
Old 07-29-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finished reading it. It was... ok. Going along the lines of the original topic of this thread, this last arc was worse then the ones that came before it. Some light spoilers...

Spoiler:
I never really bought in to this whole Rose Red/Snow White battle. The reasoning for this big war never made much sense at all to me, and the conclusion to it was lackluster. The most interesting parts were some of the characters taking sides, like Totenkinder and Cinderella. I also enjoyed the conclusion to the Brandish character, and some of the "Last story of..." bits to give a bunch of the side characters a last panel. Those were a much more fitting farewell then the bulk of the story.

Still, I enjoy the series overall even if the story is a bit of a mess towards the end.
Old 07-29-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Finished reading it. It was... ok. Going along the lines of the original topic of this thread, this last arc was worse then the ones that came before it. Some light spoilers...

Spoiler:
I never really bought in to this whole Rose Red/Snow White battle. The reasoning for this big war never made much sense at all to me, and the conclusion to it was lackluster. The most interesting parts were some of the characters taking sides, like Totenkinder and Cinderella. I also enjoyed the conclusion to the Brandish character, and some of the "Last story of..." bits to give a bunch of the side characters a last panel. Those were a much more fitting farewell then the bulk of the story.

Still, I enjoy the series overall even if the story is a bit of a mess towards the end.
I mostly agree with that. I actually really liked the actual conclusion to the book, as opposed to the conclusion of the big story, and some of the other stuff too (like the little short story, I thought that was kind of funny especially in light of some real stuff that's going on right now). One thing I thought of after I read the end of the big arc:

Spoiler:
Rose Red according to Mark Buckingham is modeled after his wife so I think there is no way she was going to be killed, and since she was setup as the bad guy, not that surprising it just fizzled, and I guess not entirely unfitting.