Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Now You See Me 2 (2016, Chu) S: Eisenberg, Ruffalo, Harrelson, Caplan, Radcliffe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Now You See Me 2 (2016, Chu) S: Eisenberg, Ruffalo, Harrelson, Caplan, Radcliffe

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 12:58 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Lionsgate: 'Now You See Me' Sequel In The Works

Lionsgate is working on a sequel to the Summit Entertainment hit movie Now You See Me.

As the magician heist film continues to outperform more pricey tentpoles at the international box office, Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer told analysts Friday that production on the sequel is penciled in for 2014.

Feltheimer predicted Louis Leterrier's caper-thriller will reach the $275 million mark in worldwide box office grosses.

Now You See Me has so far pulled in $115.6 million since its Memorial Day weekend debut, and $119.3 million at the international box office to date.

Internationally, the sleeper hit has yet to open in China, Australia and Japan.

The mid-price comedy thriller sees Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco and Woody Harrelson play gifted magicians drawn into a bank robbery.

Lionsgate is projecting that the international take for the Summit film will exceed $150 million.

The mini-studio isn't indicating yet whether a screenwriter has been attached to the Now You See Me sequel.

Lionsgate also touted foreign pre-sales for Now You See Me, which could prove highly profitable given the original film cost $75 million to produce.

"This is a perfect example of how we're benefiting from the unique international infrastructure of output deals, joint ventures and self-distribution we've set in place to maximize value and minimize risk," Feltheimer told analysts during a morning call on Friday after the release of Lionsgate's latest financial results late Thursday.

In Russia, for example, where Lionsgate licensed Now You See Me to West Company as part of an existing output deal, the Summit pic has brought in $20 million in box office so far.

In Latin America, by contrast, Lionsgate distributed Now You See Me through its IDC joint venture, a partnership between Summit and NuVision founder Pedro Rodriguez.

"The film will gross nearly $25 million at the box office and will generate a profit more than three times greater than had we sold it for a minimum guarantee," Feltheimer said.
Old 08-09-13, 01:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: Now You See Me (June 2013, Dir: Louis Leterrier) (Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo)

eh. i didn't love this movie, but i guess a second could be interesting. as long as they have the same cast...
Old 08-09-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Now You See Me (June 2013, Dir: Louis Leterrier) (Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo)

Will they call it "Now You Don't?"
Old 06-12-14, 08:21 PM

Now You See Me 2

Having just wrapped “Jem and the Holograms,” Jon M. Chu has emerged as the frontrunner to direct “Now You See Me 2” for Summit Entertainment, multiple individuals familiar with the sequel have told TheWrap.

A representative for Chu did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco and Mark Ruffalo are all expected to return for the sequel to last year's sleeper hit, which grossed more than $350 million worldwide and displayed staying power throughout a competitive summer.

Original “Now You See Me” director Louis Leterrier will not return for the sequel.

Written by Edward Ricourt & Boaz Yakin and Ed Solomon, “Now You See Me” pit an elite FBI squad in a game of cat and mouse against “The Four Horsemen,” a super-team of the world's greatest illusionists. “The Four Horsemen” pull off a series of daring heists against corrupt business leaders during their performances, showering the stolen profits of their audiences while staying one step ahead of the law.

“Now You See Me” was produced by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Bobby Cohen via their Kurtzman Orci Paper Products production banner, and executive produced by Yakin, Michael Schaefer and Stan Wlodkowski.

Chu, who directed three “Step Up” sequels, two Justin Bieber documentaries and “G.I. Joe: Retaliation,” remains attached to direct “G.I. Joe 3.” He recently directed “Jem and the Holograms” for Blumhouse.

Chu is represented by WME, Principato-Young Entertainment and attorney Allison Binder.
Old 06-12-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
re: Now You See Me 2 in development for some reason

I have no idea why this movie did as well as it did. The plot was ridiculous and honestly the entire movie was pretty crappy.
Old 06-12-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the movie was extremely entertaining and fun. Don't really care for Chu, but i'm down for a sequel.
Old 06-12-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the first half of the movie but found myself incredibly bored by the end. Didn't think this would've warranted a sequel.
Old 06-12-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Will they call it "Now You Don't?"
I can help but think how cool both Blu-rays would look side by side on my shelf if that happens.
Old 06-12-14, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I would've enjoyed the first movie more if the illusions were more realistic. The CGI was poorly done and it took me out of the movie thinking the tricks didn't even look real.
Old 06-12-14, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I would've enjoyed the first movie more if the illusions were more realistic. The CGI was poorly done and it took me out of the movie thinking the tricks didn't even look real.
Agreed. I think it's a huge cop out for any film that relies on magic tricks and illusions to use CGI to accomplish them. If the filmmakers expect us to believe the tricks are real they sure as shit better use practical effects.
Old 06-12-14, 11:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Burt Wonderstone had more convincing magic tricks. I think that's a good sign they're making a sequel to the wrong movie. Burt Wonderstone also had a better story than this one.
Old 06-13-14, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Great. That's another franchise Chu can fuck up.
Old 06-13-14, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I like the first half of the movie but found myself incredibly bored by the end. Didn't think this would've warranted a sequel.
$350M = sequel.
Old 06-13-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I would have enjoyed it more if they did practical effects as well, and if they focused on the magicians a little more and the cops a little less.

That said, I really enjoyed the original, it was hokey and not a particularly great movie, but it was fun to watch. Not every movie can be The Prestige or The Illusionist.
Old 10-02-14, 06:26 AM

Michael Caine says Daniel Radcliffe will play his son: http://www.heyuguys.com/daniel-radcl...see-me-sequel/

“There’s a sequel to Now You See Me and we’re shooting in London. I shoot in December, the whole of December in London, and my son is Harry Potter. I thought it’d be funny, me and Daniel Radcliffe as father and son.”
Old 10-02-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

loved this movie... caught it on HBO and it was awesome... hope the sequel is equally good
Old 10-02-14, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Radcliffe was great in What If so I don't see that being a negative.
Old 10-14-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Lizzy Caplan in Talks to Join Jesse Eisenberg, Dave Franco in ‘Now You See Me 2' (Exclusive)
Movies | By Jeff Sneider on October 14, 2014 @ 1:34 pm Follow @theinsneider

Jon M. Chu is directing the sequel, which will find Daniel Radcliffe playing Michael Caine's son

Continuing her impressive year on the heels of an Emmy nomination for “Masters of Sex,” Lizzy Caplan is in negotiations to play the new female lead in “Now You See Me 2,” TheWrap has learned.

Jon M. Chu is directing the magic-themed sequel, which is bringing back original stars Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Mark Ruffalo.

Daniel Radcliffe is also joining the cast of the sequel, which is being produced by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Bobby Cohen. Ed Solomon returned to write the script with Pete Chiarelli.

Caplan has the offer for “Now You See Me 2” but before she can strike a deal, she'll have to make sure her shooting schedule doesn't conflict with Showtime's “Masters of Sex.” The nature of her role in “Now You See Me 2” is being kept under wraps.

Lionsgate/Summit will release “Now You See Me 2” on June 10, 2016.

Caplan next stars alongside Seth Rogen and James Franco in “The Interview,” and she recently reteamed with Rogen for Jonathan Levine's untitled Christmas Eve comedy, which Sony will release in November 2015.

Caplan is represented by WME, Mosaic and attorney Karl R. Austen
Old 11-04-14, 02:57 PM

Re: Now You See Me 2 in development for some reason

Radcliffe and Caplan are officially on board: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/11/0...-you-see-me-2/

Lionsgate has announced that both Daniel Radcliffe and Lizzy Caplan will be officially part of the Now You See Me 2 cast, playing characters named Walter and Lula, respectively. The studio is remaining mum on just what role these characters will play in the story, but they are also joined by series newcomer Jay Chou.

Absent from Lionsgate’s announcement is Isla Fisher, who played horsewoman Henley Reeves in the first film.

The sequel’s plot will still revolve around the Four (now Three?) Horsemen, one year after the first film. The group’s services are enlisted by an enemy who asks them to partake in one of the Horsemen’s most dangerous heists yet—presumably until Now You See Three-D brings the heist action into a new dimension.

Jon M. Chu is directing the film, while Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Morgan Freeman, Woody Harrelson, Michael Caine, and Dave Franco are all set to return. Now You See Me 2 is set to release on June 10, 2016.
Old 11-04-14, 02:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Now You See Me 2 (2016, Chu)

I will not take this sequel seriously in any way until they change the title to Now You Don't.
Old 11-04-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Now You See Me 2 (2016, Chu)

Originally Posted by Dan
I will not take this sequel seriously in any way until they change the title to Now You Don't.
This movie is begging for this title I'm surprised it's not the official one. They can even make lenticular posters that interchange to both titles.
Old 11-04-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Now You See Me 2 (2016, Chu) S: Eisenberg, Ruffalo, Harrelson, Caine, Radcliffe

What? Is Isla Fisher too good to be in this?
Old 11-04-14, 04:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Now You See Me 2 (2016, Chu) S: Eisenberg, Ruffalo, Harrelson, Caine, Radcliffe

I'm more bummed that Mélanie Laurent won't be returning.
Old 11-04-14, 04:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm more bummed that Mélanie Laurent won't be returning.
boo. loved her in Beginners.
Old 11-04-14, 04:54 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

just recently saw laurent in Enemy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.