Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Huntsman: Winter's War (2016) S: C. Hemsworth, Theron, Blunt, Chastain

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Kristen Stewart Dropped from 'Snow White' Sequel Plans
5:10 PM PDT 8/14/2012 by Kim Masters

Universal reconceives the follow-up to focus on Chris Hemsworth's character as writer David Koepp exits.

Universal has decided to shelf its planned Snow White and the Huntsman sequel and is instead focusing on a solo Huntsman movie starring Chris Hemsworth. Kristen Stewart will not be invited to return if the follow-up goes forward.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the sequel to June's Snow White, which starred Stewart, Hemsworth and Charlize Theron, is being reconceived as a spinoff movie. It's unclear whether director Rupert Sanders will return, though one source with ties to the production says he will. However, screenwriter David Koepp, who had been hired to pen the continuation of the original film, is being settled out of his rich contract, according to sources, as the project is being transformed into something other than the movie that Koepp had been hired to write.

"The studio is currently exploring options to continue the franchise," a Universal spokeswoman says.

The move comes in the wake of Stewart, 22, and the married Sanders, 41, apologizing publicly for a romantic affair after compromising photos of the duo were published in July. (Stewart was dating her Twilight co-star Robert Pattinson.) While it might have been awkward for Stewart and Sanders to reunite for a sequel, it is not clear why the decision to move forward without Stewart was made.

It is highly unusual for Hollywood studios to drop stars of franchises between the first and second installments. The original plan, according to sources, was to make two films featuring the Snow White character and a third film spinning off the Huntsman, similar to how Fox's X-Men series has spun off Wolverine.

It's far from clear whether a Snow White follow-up will ever get made. The movie was a modest hit for Universal, grossing $389.2 million worldwide on a budget of about $170 million. But Stewart, one of Hollywood's top stars thanks to the Twilight franchise, commands a hefty salary. Declining to pick up her option would shave millions from the budget of a second movie.
Universal is looking for a new writer, and insiders hope to start filming in July
when Hemsworth, who also stars in Marvel's Thor series, becomes available.
Old 08-15-12, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: The Huntsman: No Snow White (D: Sanders?, 20??)

So is Rupert Sanders gonna fool around with Chris Hemsworth now? Even if Sanders isn't gay, I guess that still counts as an upgrade.
Old 08-15-12, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is Kristen Stewart's career over or what? It shouldn't be. So she cheated on her boyfriend with a married man. It happens everyday. If everybody that did that became unemployed, the unemployment rate would be much higher. Everybody seems to bang everybody in Hollywood so what's the big deal. Wasn't she the highest paid actress in the business and now she's a leper? If her career is over then the director's career should be over too.
Old 08-15-12, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Contrary to a report, Stewart has not been dropped from Universal's planned Snow White and the Huntsman sequel because the concept is being retooled to focus on Chris Hemsworth's Huntsman.

Kristen's On the Road is on the schedule at the Toronto Film Festival
PlayDealing with in-laws is rough on any newlywed, but marrying into a famous family only makes matters worse. Can Dani handle the pressure?
PlayThe talk show host’s boyfriend gets snapped making out with another guy! Get the deets on their recently publicized relationship.
PlayThe “Total Recall” actress flaunts her perfect figure in a revealing gown. Check it out.

Rather, she was never officially attached to one to begin with. (And, for that matter, neither is Hemsworth, as yet.)

What's true is that the first film's scribe, David Koepp, is no longer working on a second film, sources confirmed to E! News Tuesday.

"We are exploring options to continue the franchise and no decisions have been made," added a rep for Universal Pictures. (E! and Universal are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)

But Stewart herself told us earlier this summer that, while she was down to reprise her role as the armor-wearing, sword-wielding, very un-Disney heroine, the best part about her situation was that—unlike the case with Twilight—she was not contractually obligated to do a sequel.

Cosmopolis director, costar sound off on Robert Pattinson's personal drama

"We don't have to do it," Stewart said at a Snow White sneak preview. "That's the coolest thing. There's no pressure. But to be able to expand on this would be awesome."

Of course, that was before the 22-year-old was caught kissing married Snow White and the Huntsman director Rupert Sanders on camera.

So, though the last word from Sanders (pre-scandal) was only that he'd been approached about doing a second film, maybe now it's extra-cool for Stewart that she's not obligated to be in it.
http://www.eonline.com/news/337983/k...rss_topstories
Old 08-15-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
So is Kristen Stewart's career over or what? It shouldn't be. So she cheated on her boyfriend with a married man. It happens everyday. If everybody that did that became unemployed, the unemployment rate would be much higher. Everybody seems to bang everybody in Hollywood so what's the big deal. Wasn't she the highest paid actress in the business and now she's a leper? If her career is over then the director's career should be over too.
I agree. Cheating is everywhere in Hollywood.
Old 08-16-12, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
So is Kristen Stewart's career over or what? It shouldn't be.
The reason her career is "slowing down" is because she is a bad actress. Simply put, as you state, actors cheat all the time and continue to get work. She only made the big bucks as a result of her lucrative deal for the Twilight franchise.
She will disappear, or be relegated to supporting roles in B films after the last Twilight film. She certainly doesn't have the chops or that "special something" to be an A-Lister.
Old 06-04-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Snow White and the Huntsman 2 (2016) (D: ?, S: Stewart, C. Hemsworth)

EXCLUSIVE: While all eyes have been on who’ll ultimately direct Ant-Man, Universal is getting down to finding a helmer for Snow White And The Huntsman 2. I’m hearing the short list consists of Frank Darabont, Gavin O’Connor and Andy Muschietti. Rupert Sanders helmed the first film, which grossed close to $400 million worldwide, a result that almost guarantees a second installment even if the first cost $170 million or so. This is an intriguing group of filmmakers. Darabont, after helming The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, hatched The Walking Dead and helped forged it into cable TV’s top rated drama before getting fired. He hasn’t helmed a feature since 2007′s The Mist. Then there is O’Connor, who directed the cult favorite film Warrior as well as Miracle, and who stepped in and saved the Natalie Portman-starrer Jane Got A Gun. Then there is Muschietti, the Mama helmer who was tapped by Universal to reboots its The Mummy franchise, before he fell out of that project. Universal and Roth Films are trying to have the movie for 2016–Chris Hemsworth had to say no to the Legendary science fiction film Brilliance because he’s slotted to reteam with Kristen Stewart and do this sequel after Avengers 2–so a decision should be made soon. Stay tuned.
http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/hunt...dy-muschietti/
Old 06-04-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Snow White and the Huntsman 2 (2016) (D: ?, S: Stewart, C. Hemsworth)

I liked the first. I hope they pick someone good to helm the sequel. Hopefully the director of the first serves as a creative consultant. I have the art book from the UK BD release and the guy has a wealth of imagination. He just needs someone to channel it for him.
Old 06-04-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The first movie is such a bore. So boring, in fact, that I had to turn it off at the 40 minute mark.
Old 06-04-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Yeah, the first one was incredibly boring. But I have to admit I would likely watch the sequel anyway.
Old 06-04-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is left to tell? They already covered the Snow White story
Old 06-04-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Can't wait to see Stewart stare vacantly at over-CGI'ed fantasy nothingness for another 2 hours
Old 06-05-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Up until I saw part 1, I never really saw Stewart do the vacant look people keep commenting about. Then during the final scene in the movie, she just stands there with a close-up of her face with her mouth hanging open. I just burst out laughing.
Old 06-26-14, 05:44 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Keep seeing conflicting reports about Stewarts involvement?

The Walking Dead executive producer Frank Darabont is in talks to direct Universal's The Huntsman, a spin-off of Snow White and the Huntsman.

Chris Hemsworth is returning as the film's titular character as is Charlize Theron, who played the villain. But Kristen Stewart is not coming back for an encore, as The Hollywood Reporter first reported. The actress found herself at the center of a tabloid maelstrom when compromising photos surfaced of her and Snow White and the Huntsman director Rupert Sanders (she was dating her Twilight co-star Robert Pattinson at the time.) The studio emphatically denied at the time that Stewart was exiting the franchise.

Darabont will take the franchise baton from Sanders, whose 2012 film earned an impressive $396.6 million worldwide. Universal cast its net wide when looking for a director, but it eventually came down to Darabont and Gavin O'Connor (Warrior).

Darabont, who directed The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and The Majestic, hasn't helmed a feature film since 2007's The Mist. He developed and executive produced the hit AMC zombie show The Walking Dead, but left the show in 2011.

He is repped by CAA and Jackoway Tyerman.
Old 06-30-14, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
The reason her career is "slowing down" is because she is a bad actress. Simply put, as you state, actors cheat all the time and continue to get work. She only made the big bucks as a result of her lucrative deal for the Twilight franchise.
She will disappear, or be relegated to supporting roles in B films after the last Twilight film. She certainly doesn't have the chops or that "special something" to be an A-Lister.
I agree she doesn't quite fit into the A-Lister mould, but I don't think she's such a bad actress. I would say she just doesn't always get the role selection right. I think she's been great in the more indie type films she's done.

"Speak" was very good. I loved "The Runaways". Thought "Welcome to the Rileys" was great , but then she had James Gandolfini to play off, so maybe she's one of those who do better when they have a strong actor to spar with. "Fierce People" was also quite good. And enjoyed "Panic Room". Is she a great actress? No.

As for the cheating, that's just Hollywood. Heck, a "six degrees of sexual separation" would be a real eye opener, probably a little shocking, sometimes hilarious and a boatload of fun! Has it ever been done?
Old 06-30-14, 03:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Huntsman (2016) (D: ?, S: C. Hemsworth)

I don't think she's a bad actress. She ain't amazing but she ain't bad. I've only seen The first two twilight films and based off the writing... I don't think many people can make gold off of that in acting. Even their directors aren't all that good.
Old 06-30-14, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I don't think she's a bad actress. She ain't amazing but she ain't bad. I've only seen The first two twilight films and based off the writing... I don't think many people can make gold off of that in acting. Even their directors aren't all that good.
Bill Condon directed the last two (although the last was entertaining since it ignored the book), with Guillermo Navarro serving as DP.
Old 07-31-14, 05:33 PM

The fantastical world of 2012’s global hit SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN expands to reveal how the fates of two characters, The Huntsman Eric and Ravenna, intersected before they met Snow White. Chris Hemsworth and Oscar® winner Charlize Theron return to their roles in a new epic action-adventure, THE HUNTSMAN. Three-time Oscar® nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) directs and wrote the current draft of the screenplay, with earlier drafts by Craig Mazin and Evan Spiliotopoulos. Producer Joe Roth (Maleficent, Alice in Wonderland) once again leads the team in a breathtaking new tale from the legendary saga.

Opens April 22nd, 2016
Old 07-31-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: The Huntsman (2016) (D: Darabont, S: C. Hemsworth, Theron)

Hmm, the first one was completely forgettable and normally I'd have no interest in a prequel but Darabont directing has me interested.
Old 01-17-15, 05:05 PM

Re: The Huntsman (2016) (D: Darabont, S: C. Hemsworth, Theron)

Frank Darabont has given up the helm of The Huntsman.

EW has confirmed that Darabont, who directed The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, will no longer be directing Universal’s followup to Snow White and the Huntsman due to creative differences. Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron will reprise their roles of the Huntsman Eric and evil queen Ravenna from Rupert Sanders’ 2012 original.

According to The Wrap, Emily Blunt is in negotiations to play Ravenna’s sister, the equally evil Snow Queen.

The film is still on track for its April 22, 2016, release.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2015/01/1...-the-huntsman/
Old 01-17-15, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Huntsman (2016) S: C. Hemsworth, Theron

Emily Blunt.

Still, I wonder if "creative differences" is code for. "the script is shit".
Old 01-17-15, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

When I heard that Darabont was directing, that was the one thing it had going for it.
Old 01-17-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

The Snow Queen? I'm guessing there was a rewrite to cash in on the success of "Frozen". Still, Blunt being involved might convince me to see this thing.

The first one wasn't a good movie, but it was pretty to look at. Not sure if a new director could bring the same visual flair that Sanders did, but it should be fairly easy to improve on characterization.
Old 01-18-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

Still, I wonder if "creative differences" is code for. "the script is shit".

Pretty much. Darabont isn't a first timer like the one on the first movie who was happy to be directing something regardless of the script. Will most likely get another hack to do this one now.
Old 01-18-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Pretty much. Darabont isn't a first timer like the one on the first movie who was happy to be directing something regardless of the script. Will most likely get another hack to do this one now.
That is usually the preference of the studio.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 01-18-15 at 03:40 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.