Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Thursday the new Friday for Movies?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-21-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Don't know if there is another thread on this topic or not, if so, you can close it.

Over the past year I have noticed that many movies have gone from premiering on Friday to Thursday evening. Thursday showings used to be limited to expected blockbusters, and even then they were typically not shown until midnight. However, it seems that now even non-event movies get a Thursday night showing. I remember my local Regal did a Thursday night show of The Counselor of all things. Perhaps it's a franchise thing.

My guess as to why the showtimes have moved from midnight to 8 to 10:00PM is to capitalize on people who have to work or go to school the next day and wouldn't be able to make a midnight show.
Old 05-21-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts
Re: Is Thursday the new Friday for Movies?

I hope so. All of the major releases that have been released in that last couple of months we've seen on Thursdays. Works for me, because it leaves my Friday night open for clubbing.
Old 05-21-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I kind of agree. I don't club, but it means I can go to a bar in the afternoon , grab a bite to eat and not have to worry about making a showtime.
Old 05-21-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
^ I kind of agree. I don't club, but it means I can go to a bar in the afternoon , grab a bite to eat and not have to worry about making a showtime.
Yeah, at our theaters we can grub, drink (alcohol) and then watch the film in the same building! A trifecta, if you will.
Old 05-21-14, 11:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

When I was in Australia a few years ago, Thursday was the big release day for movies. Theatres were pretty busy those nights. I enjoyed it, although now I prefer to go to movies on "off" nights (Mondays or Wednesdays), or the early shows (11am or 1pm) on weekends. Less assholes on their phones... usually.
Old 05-21-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, at our theaters we can grub, drink (alcohol) and then watch the film in the same building! A trifecta, if you will.
I can do that, but I'm not paying 8-10 dollars for a beer.
Old 05-21-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I think after Aurora, studios have shied away from midnight showings - so now they're giving us one or two showings on the day before.

I personally like being able to see a film at 7 or 10pm the night before rather than the day of. However, I wonder if we'll see midnight showings return at some point...like for STAR WARS?
Old 05-21-14, 12:05 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I like it, and most of the time people don't know about it. So the theatre is empty. I generally go Saturday mornings at 10am anyway... but this is a decent alternative.
Old 05-21-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think after Aurora, studios have shied away from midnight showings - so now they're giving us one or two showings on the day before.

I personally like being able to see a film at 7 or 10pm the night before rather than the day of. However, I wonder if we'll see midnight showings return at some point...like for STAR WARS?
My local theaters still have midnight screenings for pretty much everything, but now they have earlier screenings too.
Old 05-21-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

My off days are Thurs/Fri so it works for me. Given the opportunity to watch a movie early Im all over that.
Old 05-21-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Midnight screenings also cost the theaters money, as they have to add additional staff hours for those screenings, while earlier screenings on Thursday would be covered by normal shifts.

I think studios are shoving those Thursday night screenings into the "Weekend" for box office totals, so the films get a little bit of a boost.
Old 05-21-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm too old for midnight screenings, so I appreciate Thursday evening ones.
Old 05-21-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've never quite gotten the allure of a midnight screening. Unless it's a George Lucas film, it's not going to change. It'll still be there the next day. And for weeks afterwards.
Old 05-22-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the allure of any first night screening is seeing it with fellow fans.
Old 05-22-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I can do that, but I'm not paying 8-10 dollars for a beer.
I may do one or two (craft brew, of course) and watch a film in a 21 and over auditorium. Those tend to weed out the dip shits more often than not.
Old 05-22-14, 11:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope so. All of the major releases that have been released in that last couple of months we've seen on Thursdays. Works for me, because it leaves my Friday night open for clubbing.
I go clubbing on Wednesday nights, sleep most of the day on Thursday, then off to the movies ...
Old 05-22-14, 11:22 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

By clubbing, do you mean picking up filthy whores?
Old 05-22-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I think the allure of any first night screening is seeing it with fellow fans.
Originally that seemed like the plan. Seeing the latest Star Wars at midnight with enthusiastic fans is one thing but when they started releasing movies like Total Recall remake the whole concept had worn out its welcome.

I work Fri. Sat. and Sun. so being able to catch a premiere at 7 or 8 pm on Thursday works out well for me. Otherwise I have to wait for the following Monday or Tuesday to see it.
Old 05-22-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Originally that seemed like the plan. Seeing the latest Star Wars at midnight with enthusiastic fans is one thing but when they started releasing movies like Total Recall remake the whole concept had worn out its welcome.
I fondly remember the midnight showing for Star Wars Episode III. There were over 20 screens around San Diego with midnight showings, a lot of them sold out. I wanted to make sure I got a good seat so I got in line at the AMC 20 Mission Valley around 4pm and there must've been 50 people already there. Reminded me of the lines at Comic-Con so wasn't that big a deal for me. AMC was cool about the line and even sold Cokes and hot dogs for $1 each. People were having pizzas delivered to the line. Good times.
Old 05-22-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I fondly remember the midnight showing for Star Wars Episode III. There were over 20 screens around San Diego with midnight showings, a lot of them sold out. I wanted to make sure I got a good seat so I got in line at the AMC 20 Mission Valley around 4pm and there must've been 50 people already there. Reminded me of the lines at Comic-Con so wasn't that big a deal for me. AMC was cool about the line and even sold Cokes and hot dogs for $1 each. People were having pizzas delivered to the line. Good times.
That was a lot like my experience waiting for Episode II. The theater where I saw it wasn't selling advance tickets, so it was an old-fashioned line. I made friends with a guy who was in line and in town visiting family. He was from New York and formerly had a job in the WTC. We wound up ordering a pizza and I went to the liquor store around the corner and we enhanced our sodas with mini-bottles. Others were doing the same. The experience was much better than the movie.
Old 05-22-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

I remember in the 60s movies started on Wednesdays. May get back there again eventually.
Old 05-22-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
I remember in the 60s movies started on Wednesdays. May get back there again eventually.
I remember when the BIG summer blockbusters opened on Wednesday. M:I 1&2 , Independence Day, the last two Indiana Jones movies, all of the SW movies.
Old 05-22-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Big movies still do open on Wednesdays. Pretty sure I've seen a few of them in the last year or two, including Brave if I'm not mistaken. That said, I am pumped for X Men tonight.
Old 05-22-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Remember when movies had a special one-time-only week-before Saturday screening? Was that designed to increase word of mouth? I assume they stopped doing that because it hurt opening-weekend grosses.
Old 05-22-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I still remember my Dick Tracy opening midnight show in 1990 (was a HUGE Warren Beatty fan back in the day) -- I was so tired, I barely made it through the move, though I did enjoy the feature. Somewhere in the back of my closet I still have my t-shirt ticket you bought for $20 that granted admission to the show:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.