Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm sorry but I just have to share the Continuum love.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I frequent the deals threads and more time than not I just use them to find stuff to watch on Netflix streaming or Amazon Prime instant video (or library or Redbox).

Someone asked if Continuum was a good blind buy so I looked it up on Netflix and there it was and I started watching the first ep and... I was instantaneously hooked. This is very, very rare for me to get hooked like that. I'm on S1 ep 5 after one day, sacrificing much-needed sleep to get just one more ep in. I've had to look up 5 words in the dictionary already, and the difference between intelligent and smart.

I cannot get enough of this show. It is one of the most awesome shows ever.
Old 05-21-14, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: I'm sorry but I just have to share the Continuum love.

It's one of the rare Canadian produced shows that has found a decent fan base in the U.S. It helps that Rachel Nichols is kind of known in the U.S. from her time as the lead of Alias (she was the lead when Jen Garner missed a season because of maternity leave) and Criminal Minds. She's been in several movies as well. Victor Webster who is the co-lead is actually decent here and a good looking dude. I'm sure he has a good female fanbase. It's pretty well produced for a Canadian cable show with a limited budget. The special effects are actually pretty decent. SyFy made a good choice picking this up. It's a low risk investment for them because Showcase pays all the production costs. SyFy just licenses the show from them.

Only 2 seasons are on Netflix. Season 3 is currently airing on TV on SyFy and Showcase in Canada. It will be at least 4-5 months before season 3 appears on Netflix. If you're still in a spending spree mood, you can purchase season 3 episodes for $3 each in HD on Amazon.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-21-14 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have SyFy... Tivo time!
Old 05-21-14, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, it's deep in my queue. I gotta watch this.
Old 05-21-14, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Drop everything else and watch it NOW

For reference, some of my other favorite shows: X-Files, 24, Monk, House, M.D., Alias, Breaking Bad, Burn Notice, Weeds.
Old 05-21-14, 08:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Drop everything else and watch it NOW

For reference, some of my other favorite shows: X-Files, 24, Monk, House, M.D., Alias, Breaking Bad, Burn Notice, Weeds.
Those are some of my favorite shows Deb; so your recommendation and an overnight drop in price made me give Amazon just under $20.
Old 05-21-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I'm well into season 3 and will just tell you that the show only gets better and more intense.
Old 05-21-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Those are some of my favorite shows Deb; so your recommendation and an overnight drop in price made me give Amazon just under $20.
Whoohoo! I'm on ep 7 now. Well worth 20 bucks. Also on Netflix. Since the set barely had any extras decided just to Netflix it. Forgot also like CSI and ER ha I have not been this excited about a show in ages! One of those shows where you get sad each time you finish an ep because there's less eps left to watch.
Old 05-22-14, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the best science fiction show currently on TV, except maybe for Rick and Morty.
Old 05-22-14, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Between this and Orphan Black, looks like Canada's starting to finally gain some attention in TV series.

Would someone who isn't into Sci-Fi enjoy this? I like Orphan Black, but it's Sci-Fi aspect is really just the general premise and is more drama/action/thriller kinda thing - so I can't really use that as a comparison.
Old 05-22-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's actually not that sci-fi, as it deals more with the ethics and grey areas of and blurred lines between law/activism/terrorism. The only real sci-fi element is the time travel stuff, which they've handled really well so far. Most of it takes place in the present, with just some flashbacks to the future here and there.
Old 05-22-14, 02:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been watching this since not long after it started. I watch the Canadian airings, which are slightly ahead of the US ones. One of my favorite shows and only gets better with each season.
Old 05-22-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Add another voice in on how good this show is. I've been in board since the beginning and always excited for the next episode. I think 13 episode seasons really helps them focus.

Slop, I take some exception to SciFi statement. Sure it doesn't take place in space, but I fundamentally view it as SciFi; what with time travel, fate and destiny serving as the underlying mechanisms that drive the story.
Old 05-22-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fate & destiny aren't necessarily exclusive to SciFi genres. And it's not like I said it has no SciFi elements, just not as much as something like Battlestar Galactica or Defiance. It has more in common with a cop show than with either of those.
Old 05-22-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Fate & destiny aren't necessarily exclusive to SciFi genres. And it's not like I said it has no SciFi elements, just not as much as something like Battlestar Galactica or Defiance. It has more in common with a cop show than with either of those.
The first season did. Second season strayed from this, and the third season has almost nothing to do with a cop show.
Old 05-23-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure it does. Not as nearly as much, but it certainly does.
Old 05-23-14, 07:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

She wears a super-suit that deflects bullets and turns invisible, has a cybernetic brain implant, and carries a futuristic gun. Add to that the dystopian future flashes, time travel paradoxes, and half the characters being time travelers. Doesn't matter how much police procedure they do (which is mostly in the first season), this is a strong sci-fi show.
Old 05-23-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, I never said it wasn't scifi - don't know why you all have such a boner thinking I said that.

It's just that those scifi elements, especially the ones Lifepawn pointed out above, don't come into play as much as the police stuff. And to say that the police stuff doesn't come into play the 3rd season, makes me think you haven't been watching.

Spoiler:
The stuff with the banks, the theft of the chemicals, the take over of the news station, the shooting at the protest - all of those scenarios in the 3rd season involve pretty heavy police work, and would be right at home in a typical cop show.
Old 05-23-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Must.... not.... click.... spoiler.... tag......

On S1 ep 9
Old 05-23-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

01:09 musing:

Spoiler:
Julian Randol becomes Edouard Kagame?!?!?!
Old 05-23-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OMG....
Spoiler:
Brunette terrorist chick was asking Kagame if they should save his dad and Kagame said no because his dad's death is what led to him becoming who he is.... he had a chance to save his dad and didn't!
Old 05-23-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SyFy is still dead to me for cancelling Alphas.
Old 05-24-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Question about something in the end of S1 and first ep of S2.

Spoiler:
When did Kiera acquire the ability to be invisible? She got the suit back from Alec and started disappearing, but no mention at all about it, she just started doing it. Did he add it, did it have it before, if so why didn't she use it before? I'm kinda bummed they added that, up to then everything else seemed believable but that was too far-fetchy.
Old 05-24-14, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Question about something in the end of S1 and first ep of S2.

Spoiler:
When did Kiera acquire the ability to be invisible? She got the suit back from Alec and started disappearing, but no mention at all about it, she just started doing it. Did he add it, did it have it before, if so why didn't she use it before? I'm kinda bummed they added that, up to then everything else seemed believable but that was too far-fetchy.
Think back, it was used in the very first episode. She was in an alley with Lucas, and turns invisible when the cops show up. I think it was before she'd even met Carlos.
Old 05-24-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah. And I watched the whole season in about a week so it's not there was that much time in between, it would have been worse over a few months. Wonder why she stopped using it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.