Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Google/YouTube Buying Twitch for $1 Billion?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Google/YouTube Buying Twitch for $1 Billion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Google/YouTube Buying Twitch for $1 Billion? (Update: Amazon for $970 Million!)

A rumor and 'sources' for now. Cue all the old people here that are still confused at people watching video game streams

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news...es-1201185204/

Google’s YouTube has reached a deal to buy Twitch, a popular videogame-streaming company, for more than $1 billion, according to sources familiar with the pact.

The deal, in an all-cash offer, is expected to be announced imminently, sources said. If completed the acquisition would be the most significant in the history of YouTube, which Google acquired in 2006 for $1.65 billion. The impending acquisition comes after longtime Google ad exec Susan Wojcicki was named CEO of YouTube earlier this year.

Reps for YouTube and Twitch declined to comment.

San Francisco-based Twitch lets users upload and watch free, live gameplay videos that can be streamed from Microsoft Xbox and PlayStation 4 consoles. The company claims to have more than 45 million monthly users, with more than 1 million members who upload videos each month. It also has deals to distribute shows from partners including CBS Interactive’s GameSpot, Joystiq and Destructoid.
http://kotaku.com/report-youtube-is-...ion-1578241076

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-25-14 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-18-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Google/YouTube Buying Twitch for $1 Billion?

Twitch is worth more than $1 billion.
Old 05-18-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully it doesn't become as shitty as Youtube has since Google bought it.
Old 05-18-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Hopefully it doesn't become as shitty as Youtube has since Google bought it.
If we are forced to watch ads before and during live streams then I'm out.
Old 05-19-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Doesn't that already happen, or is that only UStream?
Old 05-19-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know, if Google didn't buy YouTube and they stayed independent, they would probably have a lot of growing pains.

Interestingly, apparently there were a lot of bidders including Microsoft but Twitch didn't want to end up exclusive to Microsoft's services.
Old 08-25-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Amazon instead?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...for-1-billion/
Old 08-25-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, I was reading they may be concerned about Google pulling an MS and making it semi-exclusive? Yet they go with Amazon, who has everything behind an Amazon Prime Paywall and limited device support for Amazon Prime Instant.
Old 08-25-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

It's official. It is Amazon:

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 25, 2014-- Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) today announced that it has reached an agreement to acquire Twitch Interactive, Inc., the leading live video platform for gamers. In July, more than 55 million unique visitors viewed more than 15 billion minutes of content on Twitch produced by more than 1 million broadcasters, including individual gamers, pro players, publishers, developers, media outlets, conventions and stadium-filling esports organizations.

“Broadcasting and watching gameplay is a global phenomenon and Twitch has built a platform that brings together tens of millions of people who watch billions of minutes of games each month – from The International, to breaking the world record for Mario, to gaming conferences like E3. And, amazingly, Twitch is only three years old,” said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. “Like Twitch, we obsess over customers and like to think differently, and we look forward to learning from them and helping them move even faster to build new services for the gaming community.”

“Amazon and Twitch optimize for our customers first and are both believers in the future of gaming,” said Twitch CEO Emmett Shear. “Being part of Amazon will let us do even more for our community. We will be able to create tools and services faster than we could have independently. This change will mean great things for our community, and will let us bring Twitch to even more people around the world.”

Twitch launched in June 2011 to focus exclusively on live video for gamers. Under the terms of the agreement, which has been approved by Twitch’s shareholders, Amazon will acquire all of the outstanding shares of Twitch for approximately $970 million in cash, as adjusted for the assumption of options and other items. Subject to customary closing conditions, the acquisition is expected to close in the second half of 2014.

About Amazon.com

Amazon opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by three principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire phone, Fire tablets, and Fire TV are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.

About Twitch

Twitch is the leading live video platform and community for gamers where more than 55 million have gathered to broadcast, watch and talk about video games. Twitch’s video platform is the backbone of both live and on-demand distribution for the entire video game ecosystem. This includes game developers, publishers, media outlets, events, user generated content and the entire esports scene. In February 2014, The Wall Street Journal ranked Twitch as the 4th largest website in terms of peak internet traffic in the U.S., fortifying the brand as an entertainment industry leader and the epicenter of social video for gamers. For more information, visit: www.twitch.tv
Old 08-25-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, somehow I see Amazon Prime coming into the picture soon.
Old 08-25-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are literally no examples of Amazon buying a company and forcing Prime stuff into it. But hey, by all means, freak out and act like the sky is falling.
Old 08-25-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
yeah, somehow I see Amazon Prime coming into the picture soon.
I think more likely is somehow working the functionality exclusively into some sort of upcoming Amazon gaming console, Fire TV and/or their tablets and unwanted mobile phone devices.
Old 08-25-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey guys I heard that the only way you'll be able to use Twitch now is if you buy Golden Girls: The Complete Series on DVD as Amazon's Gold Box Deal of the Day. Is that true? And by "I heard that..." I mean "I jumped to the insane conclusion that..."
Old 08-25-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

If they take the functionality away from the two main consoles then they will be just shooting themselves in the foot. Trying to force an Amazon gaming console by making Twitch exclusive to that console would likely just get a huge laugh out of the gaming community.
Old 08-25-14, 08:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just read an article that said that this purchase was to endear Amazon to gamers, who are the #2 seller of PC games after Steam, and that Twitch would benefit from AWS. I highly doubt Amazon will lock up Twitch behind a Prime paywall, but we'll all know for sure who's footing the bill for Twitch to keep its doors open.
Old 08-25-14, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
If they take the functionality away from the two main consoles then they will be just shooting themselves in the foot. Trying to force an Amazon gaming console by making Twitch exclusive to that console would likely just get a huge laugh out of the gaming community.
Well, it's already not on one of the two consoles-- the better selling one as it turns out. Not sure how long Twitch's deal is with Xbox One, but it's probably not in perpetuity. I'm not saying they'd walk away from the XO if they wanted to start a Steambox -like gaming console, but it wouldn't shock me if they did.

And lest you think it's highly unlikely that Amazon would block their content from running on a rival system, just try to find Amazon Instant Video app for Android on the Google Play store ...or on the Amazon App Store.
Old 08-25-14, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twitch was already pretty successful without Amazon. Seems like a cash grab from the guys at twitch. I guess that's just the American way.
Old 08-25-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by edstein
Twitch was already pretty successful without Amazon. Seems like a cash grab from the guys at twitch. I guess that's just the American way.
For $970 million, hard to blame anyone!
Old 08-26-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/26/606...azon-antitrust

Google might have backed out due to competition and anti-trust reasons.
Old 08-26-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
And lest you think it's highly unlikely that Amazon would block their content from running on a rival system, just try to find Amazon Instant Video app for Android on the Google Play store ...or on the Amazon App Store.
There is no Amazon Instant app on Apple TV. Or is that more Apple blocking it than Amazon withholding it?
Old 08-26-14, 01:55 PM

Don't know about that. Amazon Instant is available for the iPhone and iPad, but not for Android phones or tablets (except for those made by Amazon, of course).
Old 08-26-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried to use my Twitch to Twitch today but it said I couldn't Twitch because I used filler items to qualify for their Free Super Saver Shipping too many times. I knew all of these nightmare scenarios would come true!