Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Californication -- "Kickoff" -- 5/18/14

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Californication -- "Kickoff" -- 5/18/14

Episode Synopsis: A "Santa Monica Cop" kickoff party is hosted by Rath, where Hank conducts an intimate notes session with the show's leading lady, and Hashtag Black eyes Julia. Meanwhile, Charlie manages head-case client Goldie; and Stu makes Charlie an offer.

Episode 6 of 12

Halfway home.
Old 05-18-14, 10:34 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: Californication -- "Kickoff" -- 5/18/14

The irony of Brandon T. Jackson playing Santa Monica Cop.

And the Beverly Hills Cop theme playing all throughout.

Last edited by dex14; 05-18-14 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

This show is definitely better without Becca and a limited amount of Karen.

We all know they'll find a way to bring Hank and Karen back together, for good this time, for the finale. It's been the obvious build up from the first episode. But for 6 episodes, it's been nice that she hasn't been the focal point.
Old 05-19-14, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
This show is definitely better without Becca and a limited amount of Karen.

We all know they'll find a way to bring Hank and Karen back together, for good this time, for the finale. It's been the obvious build up from the first episode. But for 6 episodes, it's been nice that she hasn't been the focal point.
Hell, I hope they don't - I think this entire show, having watched from Day One, has been about the fact those two *don't* belong together. That's summarized perfectly by the hooker scene... Karen's all, 'Degrades women, first time must be special, angels ringing bells, lovey dovey BS' That is the antithesis of Hank Moody.

Me, I'm rooting for Hank and Charlie to just accept reality in the end: They belong together. Make the bro-mance literal. Crap, didn't they already bang each other once? I recall some woman wouldn't sleep with Charlie unless Hank joined in, to which he obliged so long as the swords never met.

I'll agree 100% that not having whiny, overplayed Becca has been a boon so far... Except! They *really* needed her in one episode, just one scene, really - where the whole Levon thing played out and gets revealed to his (half) sister. Considering what a putz Levon is with the ladies, I think the dynamics with a sister (half) who he'd never met before would've been interesting - namely, even though they share a father, Levon tries to bang Becca. Don't they always say that people closely related who've never grown up together/seen each other usually have intense sexual attraction to one another? I'm recalling the occasional 'grandma/grandson' lovefest you see in the news. (Hey, it's science!)

This show could've really benefitted having Becca take a flying leap seasons before now - but this season, with the Levon deal, her absence is instead actually quite glaring and problematic... for me, at least. One interesting thing - I usually really enjoy Mary-Lynn Rajskub in anything she does, but her character here is reallllllly grating on me. She's annoying and utterly pointless - they're f*ing themselves, by not just devoting her screen time to further illuminating Rath. Oddly, I *don't* usually like Michael Imperioli, but his character here has been fantastic and wonderfully portrayed so far.