Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Blu-ray 3D discs

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 05-13-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

If I have a 3D movie and play it in a player that can play 3D discs, but my TV isn't 3D compatible, will the movie look funny, like looking at 3D pictures without glasses, or will it just look like a regular movie?
Old 05-13-14, 07:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Question about Blu-ray 3D discs

You will get a message on the screen saying your TV isn't 3D compatible. It won't show you a 3D picture. Some movies have 2D with it on the same disc, and some are 3D only. Make sure you check.
Old 05-13-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, here's the reason I'm asking:

I rented a new title from the Redbox, and when the disc came out it was labeled as a 3D disc, even though, technically, Redbox doesn't rent 3D titles. I called them, and all they told me, essentially, was they don't rent 3D titles, even though I appeared to be holding one in my hand. It's like she didn't comprehend what I was telling her, which is the kiosk screen didn't say anything about 3D, but it seemed to have spit out a 3D disc.

I went ahead and took the disc home, played it, and waited for some kind of message or something, like you just mentioned, but didn't see one. The movie played, and I watched the whole thing without mishap. The picture was clear and not fuzzy or anything, so I'm thinking either the disc was misprinted on the top side, and it was actually a 2D disc, or it just automatically played an additional 2D version on the disc, recognizing my TV wasn't compatible with 3D.
Old 05-13-14, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, never mind. I just looked up the title, and it's both on the same disc, and apparently 2D plays automatically if your TV isn't 3D compatible.

Too bad the rep at Redbox didn't have the sense to just look this up on her screen. All she could do it just tell me they don't rent 3D titles. Well, apparently you do, smarty.
Old 05-13-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Dosen't it seem like you could have answered that question in like 10 seconds by just putting it in your player as opposed to starting a thread & calling Redbox?
Old 05-14-14, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For your information, I called Redbox while I was still at the kiosk. I had never dealt with a 3D disc, and wasn't sure if it would play on my TV without problems. If there would have been some kind of problem indicated on the phone by the rep, I would have turned the disc back in and probably gotten credit for another title.

Also, as I mentioned, I did put it in my player, and, as I also mentioned, there didn't seem to be a problem.

My question involved trying to figure out if this was an actual 3D disc as it was labeled, and generally whether or not a 3D disc would play on a non-3D TV. Turns out this is a dual 3D/2D disc, so it played just fine, but the question was answered properly by trespoochies when he said that a 3D only disc would not play on my TV.

Have I explained myself enough for you? Do I have your permission to ask a question whether you feel it warrants a thread or not, or should I contact you next time for pre-approval?

Here's a question: if you didn't like the content of this thread, couldn't you have just moved along quietly, or do you look extra cool now that you've called someone out for making a thread you don't agree with?
Old 05-14-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

There are some releases that have the 3D and 2D version on the same disc - UPSIDE DOWN is one that immediately comes to mind. Can we ask what the movie was?
Old 05-14-14, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by The Infidel
For your information, I called Redbox while I was still at the kiosk. I had never dealt with a 3D disc, and wasn't sure if it would play on my TV without problems. If there would have been some kind of problem indicated on the phone by the rep, I would have turned the disc back in and probably gotten credit for another title. Also, as I mentioned, I did put it in my player, and, as I also mentioned, there didn't seem to be a problem. My question involved trying to figure out if this was an actual 3D disc as it was labeled, and generally whether or not a 3D disc would play on a non-3D TV. Turns out this is a dual 3D/2D disc, so it played just fine, but the question was answered properly by trespoochies when he said that a 3D only disc would not play on my TV. Have I explained myself enough for you? Do I have your permission to ask a question whether you feel it warrants a thread or not, or should I contact you next time for pre-approval? Here's a question: if you didn't like the content of this thread, couldn't you have just moved along quietly, or do you look extra cool now that you've called someone out for making a thread you don't agree with?
Apologies. Deleted my post. Poor attempt at humor.
Old 05-14-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
There are some releases that have the 3D and 2D version on the same disc - UPSIDE DOWN is one that immediately comes to mind. Can we ask what the movie was?
And most recently, I Frankenstein and I think The Legend of Hercules.
Old 05-14-14, 09:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Lionsgate mostly does the 2D/3D on one disc, although I think I remember seeing some others do this, just don't recall what studios they are.
Old 05-14-14, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dredd had the combo on one disc.
Old 05-14-14, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
For your information, I called Redbox while I was still at the kiosk. I had never dealt with a 3D disc, and wasn't sure if it would play on my TV without problems. If there would have been some kind of problem indicated on the phone by the rep, I would have turned the disc back in and probably gotten credit for another title.

Also, as I mentioned, I did put it in my player, and, as I also mentioned, there didn't seem to be a problem.

My question involved trying to figure out if this was an actual 3D disc as it was labeled, and generally whether or not a 3D disc would play on a non-3D TV. Turns out this is a dual 3D/2D disc, so it played just fine, but the question was answered properly by trespoochies when he said that a 3D only disc would not play on my TV.

Have I explained myself enough for you? Do I have your permission to ask a question whether you feel it warrants a thread or not, or should I contact you next time for pre-approval?

Here's a question: if you didn't like the content of this thread, couldn't you have just moved along quietly, or do you look extra cool now that you've called someone out for making a thread you don't agree with?
I am trying to help you better yourself through the basic implementation of critical thinking.