Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Louie -- "So Did the Fat Lady/Elevator Part 1" -- 5/12/14

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Louie -- "So Did the Fat Lady/Elevator Part 1" -- 5/12/14

Episode 3 / Production #403 - "So Did the Fat Lady" (Airs May 12, 10:00 pm e/p) - Louie meets somebody new. Written by Louis C.K.; directed by Louis C.K.

Episode 4 / Production #404 - "Elevator Part 1" (Airs May 12, 10:30 pm e/p) - Louie helps a neighbor. Written by Louis C.K.; directed by Louis C.K.

Episodes 3 and 4 of 14

Great start last week. Felt bad for Louie getting that stiff $5,000 per month settlement for the rest of his life for fucking up Yvonne.
Old 05-12-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
Re: Louie -- "So Did the Fat Lady/Elevator Part 1" -- 5/12/14

If anyone cares he will be a guest on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon today.

Not a fan of Diane Sawyer but she did a good interview with Louis CK at the pizza place featured in the opening credits.

<iframe src='http://abcnews.go.com/video/embed?id=23575285' width='640' height='360' style='border:none;'></iframe>
ABC US News | ABC Entertainment News
Old 05-12-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did she say "fuck a fat girl"?
Old 05-13-14, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Didn't care for the 2nd episode. The end was nice moment with that woman bringing the pastry, but the stuff with his daughter and Ellen Burstyn were kind of pointless and pretty lame.
Old 05-13-14, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

I really enjoyed the "So did the fat lady" episode. The actress was excellent.

Second episode was okay, and yeah, the ending was the best.
Old 05-13-14, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This show is brilliant.

The Fat Lady episode will probably win him the Emmy for writing.

The woman was great in her role.

Also, the second ep was Elevator Part 1. I wonder how many episodes that story arc will continue. I'm guessing he gets in a relationship with the younger foreign lady who brought him the dish at the end.
Old 05-13-14, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Did she say "fuck a fat girl"?
I'm positive she did. I thought, "Oh, I guess they aren't censoring the word 'fuck' anymore", but then in the next episode, they bleeped Louis when he said "fuck".

I'm on the fence about these two episodes. A problem is both seemed to just be starting to get going and then the show ends. It can be a frustrating experience.

Also, I found the girl's personality much more off-putting than her being chunky, so I wasn't as sympathetic to her rant as Louis clearly wanted me to be. No one has ever loved me, but I don't think a relationship is something I'm "owed" like the girl on show did. I had to keep reminding myself she was talking to Louis, not me, so there was no need to feel defensive.

My biggest fear is winding up in an elevator situation like that. Because I'm impatient, I'm sure I would go "fuck it" and try to slip through the gap. I hope I'm never in a situation like that where I press my luck.
Old 05-13-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I really enjoyed the "So did the fat lady" episode. The actress was excellent.
Sarah Baker from Go On and yes, she was great.

My favorite part from both episodes was the Bang Bang.
Old 05-13-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bang Bang was hilarious, and if someone talked me into it, I'd totally go for it!
Old 05-13-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah the bang bang was pretty damn funny in the first episode. Also the fat girl did make me think a bit about people in that situation, but I did find her kind of off putting too. She seemed to want sympathy so bad because of her situation that it was a bit irritating, yet she definitely made some thought provoking points.

The second episode was good too. The stuff with Jane and her dream was sort of weird. I wonder if that's part of the arc of these upcoming five episodes. I found the stuff with the woman in the elevator kind of funny and when he freaked out the woman's niece.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'm on the fence about these two episodes. A problem is both seemed to just be starting to get going and then the show ends. It can be a frustrating experience.
I think that happens with this show often to be honest. One thing I dislike is sometimes the show drops storylines and ends abruptly, but overall it normally doesn't bother me. Plus the second episode is supposed to be part of a six episode arc.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-13-14 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-13-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
This show is brilliant.

The Fat Lady episode will probably win him the Emmy for writing.

The woman was great in her role.
Agreed.
Old 05-13-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The bang bang was great. I loved the little touches like how they needed a bigger table at the Indian place and how (after starting at around noon) it was getting dark by the time they were done.
Old 05-13-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
The bang bang was great. I loved the little touches like how they needed a bigger table at the Indian place and how (after starting at around noon) it was getting dark by the time they were done.
Old 05-13-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah the bang bang was pretty damn funny in the first episode. Also the fat girl did make me think a bit about people in that situation, but I did find her kind of off putting too. She seemed to want sympathy so bad because of her situation that it was a bit irritating, yet she definitely made some thought provoking points.
I felt the same way. She came across a bit whiny and seemed to be fishing for sympathy and she was a bit judgemental of Louie... yet I still felt bad for her and she made some excellent points. I thought it was a good balance of putting some blame on the man while not making her simply a victim.

She's kinda cute... if she lost the weight, she could be cute/hot.
Old 05-13-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She's no less attractive than Louie, who's a bald, overweight ginger in his late-40s with two kids. Not exactly a catch himself, the version of him in the show, anyways.
Old 05-13-14, 10:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The second episode was good too. The stuff with Jane and her dream was sort of weird. I wonder if that's part of the arc of these upcoming five episodes. I found the stuff with the woman in the elevator kind of funny and when he freaked out the woman's niece.
That shit aggravated me, especially since my daughter acts that same way a lot. It kills me how accurate Louie writes these story lines with his daughters.

I'm wondering if that lady who brought the pie will be one of the recurring story lines the rest of the season. His stand-up was about how in love he was with women.
Old 05-13-14, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
That shit aggravated me, especially since my daughter acts that same way a lot. It kills me how accurate Louie writes these story lines with his daughters.
The thing I like about this show is that it can be really funny, but yet at the same time he can take a serious event like what Jane did on the subway and make you really feel what he's feeling. That sense of his fear of something happening to her and his frustration at her felt really genuine, but yet not so serious that it stopped being funny.
Old 05-14-14, 12:24 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies

I'm wondering if that lady who brought the pie will be one of the recurring story lines the rest of the season. His stand-up was about how in love he was with women.
He was on Jimmy Fallon Monday night and said one of that night's episodes is a 6-episode arc. The second episode was called "Elevator Part 1".

So I assume that's what we're getting for a while now.
Old 05-14-14, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as someone who never went to bed with a fat chick, but sure woke up with a few, i have held hands with fat girls. to a one, they were all...sticky, like they had just eaten a jelly doughnut but forgot to warn me. anyone who is offered the opportunity, i would advise have some wet wipes on hand.

fat girls all give great head though, so jump on that deal if you can.
Old 05-14-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The weird, but surely intentional, thing about the fat girl going on and on about being unloved for being fat in her 30's were the runners running by during her stating her plight.
Old 05-14-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I don't mind if they do just one episode a week and it prolongs the season.

I think near the end of the 2nd episode where once you feel comfortable with somebody you can relieve your inner racism was something he said before in a previous show.
Old 05-15-14, 03:45 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I loved both episodes and even though I thought Vanessa's speech was great, I don't agree with it all....besides the point about the double standard, which is completely true, the rest of the speech would only be valid if being fat was something that was impossible to control.

Sometimes not being attracted to a fat girl is less about her size and more about her lifestyle, lack of discipline, self esteem issues, etc....

Speaking as someone who used to be fat.
Old 05-15-14, 04:49 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm with Crocker Jarmen on this one. This girl feels she's owed a relationship. If you reverse the sexes in that scene it will would cause so much eye-rolling and sneering. I could see an article form Jezebel.com about how repulsive this entitled fat man was for just expecting a relationship.

And, where did this P.C. canard come from that only fat girls are on the receiving end of public abuse? Like the lives of heavy men and boys is just a bowl of cherries...
Old 05-15-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
I'm with Crocker Jarmen on this one. This girl feels she's owed a relationship. If you reverse the sexes in that scene it will would cause so much eye-rolling and sneering. I could see an article form Jezebel.com about how repulsive this entitled fat man was for just expecting a relationship.

And, where did this P.C. canard come from that only fat girls are on the receiving end of public abuse? Like the lives of heavy men and boys is just a bowl of cherries...
I think it worked to put a mirror to Louie's own behavior an episode or two earlier, awkwardly hanging out behind that waitress and being told by another waitress that he needs to stop asking the waitresses out.
Old 05-15-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it did show Louie being treated like shit when he asked that one girl if "Summer" was her real name. So it's not like he can't understand what she goes through.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.