Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Rosemary's Baby (NBC) -- S: Saldana, Adams, Isaacs -- 4 hour miniseries (5/11, 5/15)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rosemary's Baby (NBC) -- S: Saldana, Adams, Isaacs -- 4 hour miniseries (5/11, 5/15)

Old 05-11-14, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Based on the 1967 best-selling suspense novel by Ira Levin, this new adaptation of "Rosemary's Baby" centers on a young married couple who escapes New York and moves to Paris with hopes of leaving their sad past behind. After a series of unfortunate events, Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse are presented with an offer they can't refuse - an apartment at the most prestigious address in the city. Problem is, it comes with a haunted past and an immeasurable price.

Rosemary (Zoe Saldana, "Avatar," "Star Trek Into Darkness") and Guy (Patrick J. Adams, "Suits") are incredulous at their good fortune and find comfort in a strange city among their new friends and neighbors, the Castevets. This well-to-do successful older couple takes the newcomers under their wing and become very involved with the Woodhouses' lives. Things seem to be perfect as Rosemary becomes pregnant and Guy's career takes off. As their spirited best friend, Guy's co-worker Julie (Christina Cole), spends quality time with Rosemary in the city, she finds Rosemary's health worrying and cautions both of them that something isn't right. Soon there are other signs warning Rosemary to be careful.

Guy seems to be pulling away from Rosemary and spending a great deal of time hanging around with Roman Castevet (Jason Isaacs, "Harry Potter" franchise). Roman's wife, the whimsical Margaux Castevet (Carole Bouquet, "For Your Eyes Only"), assures Rosemary her herbs and holistic medicine will help with the pregnancy, but are they helping or hurting? Rosemary's quizzical nature leads her to investigate the building and its past residents. She uncovers a dark past and realizes who Roman Castevet truly is. But is it too late? Are the Castavets' perceived sinister motives legitimate or all in the pregnancy brain of Rosemary?

In this new four-hour, two-part psychological thriller written by Scott Abbott ("Queen of the Damned,") and James Wong ("Final Destination 3," "American Horror Story," "The X-Files") and directed by Agnieszka Holland ("Europa Europa," "The Wire," "Treme"), Rosemary quickly finds herself surrounded by peculiar people and startling occurrences. Isolated in her apartment in a city where she doesn't speak the language, she begins to fear the worst: Guy may have made a pact with their neighbors, promising their newborn as a human sacrifice in occult rituals in exchange for a writing career. To what lengths would someone be willing to go for success and fortune?

"Rosemary's Baby" is executive produced by Joshua D. Maurer, Alixandre Witlin and David Stern, and produced by City Entertainment, KippSter Entertainment and Lionsgate Television.

2 night miniseries. Airs Sunday and Thursday

Most of you know who Zoe Saldana is from Star Trek. Patrick J. Adams plays Mike on the USA series Suits.

First Look at the Miniseries with interviews.

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/NnzsPC/widget/select/Vfk_jSmGFqvw?form=html" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" seamless="seamless" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 05-11-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: Rosemary's Baby (NBC) -- S: Saldana, Adams, Isaacs -- 4 hour miniseries (5/11, 5/

I will let others be the guinea pig for watching this new remake.
Old 05-11-14, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Rosemary's Baby (NBC) -- S: Saldana, Adams, Isaacs -- 4 hour miniseries (5/11, 5/

Maybe I'll wait for it to air and watch it at once. Reviews are not great...
Old 05-11-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I had no idea this was even happening. I don't think the original film can be topped, especially done as a mini series on network television.
Old 05-11-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Five minutes in and I can already tell this will suck hard.
Old 05-11-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll record and watch depending on the reviews. If they aren't horrible, I'll watch.
Old 05-12-14, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Maybe I'll wait for it to air and watch it at once. Reviews are not great...
Yeah I'm planning to do the same thing.
Old 05-17-14, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

So, we've all recorded it and are waiting on reviews. Has anyone bit the bullet and watched it?
(I trust you guys more than critics.)
Old 05-17-14, 08:34 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

this was a complete abortion of a show.
Old 05-17-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldDude
So, we've all recorded it and are waiting on reviews. Has anyone bit the bullet and watched it?
Man, did you hit that on the head. I recorded it as well, and have been sitting back waiting for the comments to trickle in. I suspect I'll end up deleting it unwatched.

Originally Posted by OldBoy
this was a complete abortion[...]
Reading that comment, then looking at that avatar. Fun.
Old 05-17-14, 01:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So is it worth investing the 3 hours into?
Old 05-17-14, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I took one for the team, I watched the first episode and 35 minutes of the second, its a waste of time. I think it was a way for Zoe Saldana and her family to get to Paris, she and 2 family members are listed as producers. The original movie is one of my favorites, this remake is missing the humor that the first has, I don't care for any of the characters, they are not memorable at all. I decided that I would rather watch a rerun of CSI:Miami, Satan does have pretty eyes though.
Old 05-17-14, 07:41 PM
Mok

I just started watching part 1, I love the original movie. The only thing keeping watching so far is Zoe, but she is no Mia Farrow.
Old 05-17-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I foresee this movie wallowing on my DVR unseen for a year or two, when it will have to be deleted unwatched for space.
Old 05-17-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

Just delete it now. Complete waste of time.
Old 05-17-14, 08:07 PM
Mok

I tapped out and deleted it.
Old 05-18-14, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I usually don't succumb to peer pressure, but in this case I decided deleting it was the right thing to do. I'm sure in some bit of irony that I will be forced to review the Blu-ray edition.
Old 05-18-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

I took the bullet for everyone. Seems like none of you really wanted to watch this anyways and were looking for an excuse to not watch it.

I watched both parts (all 3 hours without commercials)

Short and sweet= It was bad. I don't mind that the movie was updated for 2014. But, this didn't need to be a 4 hour miniseries. Too long with lots of filler and not really suspenseful either. Part 2 was slightly better than 1, but it ended on a complete thud. It certainly didn't help that the material on NBC was PG-13 at best. Zoe Saldana was not a good pick to play Rosemary. She's a very mediocre actress at best. Save your time and watch something else. You all probably still have many hours of better shows still sitting unwatched.
Old 05-18-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

About a third of the runtime was devoted to people menacingly reminding Rosemary to have some of her herbal drink.
Old 05-18-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was it a straight remake of the original movie?
Old 05-18-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The worst-cast was Patrick J. Adams as Rosemary's husband. No charisma, whatsoever.
Old 05-19-14, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tough crowd. I thought it was entertaining, and Zoe is very easy on the eyes.
Old 05-19-14, 11:33 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt925
Tough crowd. I thought it was entertaining, and Zoe is very easy on the eyes.
I'm only through with part 1, but I agree...it wasn't as bad as many are making it out to be. Now, it all could completely fall apart in part 2, but I've been fairly entertained thus far. I like how we just know something's sinister with Jason Isaacs' character because he keeps wearing gaudy earrings.
Old 05-20-14, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Not completely terrible, but not particularly good, either. Zoe is indeed very easy on the eyes. I think that made it more tolerable.

Carole Bouquet is quite attractive, too, but she's getting up there and I don't think she looked her best in this.

Overall, it really didn't seem necessary, IMHO.
Old 05-20-14, 08:32 PM

I have only watched part 1 and I hated the last ten minutes of it. I'll probably skim through part 2 tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.