Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Movies with soundtrack song replacements on home video

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Movies with soundtrack song replacements on home video

I’ve heard about this for years but have rarely encountered for myself the phenomenon of movie soundtrack songs being replaced on home video releases because of rights issues. I have some questions about this. Were these replacements more likely to be found on VHS releases or DVD releases? Are there cases of VHS releases that had the original soundtrack intact while the subsequent DVD release had an altered soundtrack? Or is it the other way around—the VHS had an altered soundtrack while the DVD restored the original tracks?

I’m looking for cases specifically of VHS releases that preserved the original soundtrack while the DVD release offered song replacements. But I’m also looking for examples of the other way as well (DVD restoring the original soundtrack). I’m not making a comprehensive list, I just need a few examples for something I’m writing.

I did a Google search, but I’m not sure how to word it. Each way I worded it yielded mostly unrelated search results, e.g. “soundtrack replacements” got me listings for the soundtrack CD for THE REPLACEMENTS. I did find one website that gave some examples:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ackReplacement

But the only one on that site that met the criteria for what I'm writing was WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM:
Where The Buffalo Roam had its music infamously replaced with generic '80s music on most home video releases. The only known exception is the original VHS and Betamax release.
Do any of you know of a list like this that's already been compiled?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Movies with soundtrack song replacements on home video

That is why I still don't own Where The Buffalo Roam. And why I can't get rid of my VHS of Return Of The Living Dead 2.
Old 05-09-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

You can give me credit in the paper you're writing:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ackReplacement

It was more common in the VHS era, mostly because the Internet didn't really exist as we know it and fans couldn't band together to complain about the practice. Studios know the hardcore fans want the original soundtrack.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 05-09-14 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-09-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The Image DVD release of The Electric Horseman (in a crappy snap case) has the Original Soundtrack.

The Universal DVD (in a good case) replaces the opening Willie Nelson song with a generic instrumental.
Old 05-09-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I remember Fast Times at Ridgemont High had several replacement songs featured on the VHS tape.

I guess some of the music rights were negotiated for the theatrical and TV release but not for home video.

I think most or maybe all of the songs were restored for the DVD release.

It's funny because for me, the replacement songs were the "original" songs because that was how I saw the film (over and over) when it first came out on video.
Old 05-09-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the Sixteen Candles VHS release had replacement songs, when it played on HBO it had the original songs, and i'm pretty sure they were restored for the DVD release.
Old 05-09-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

THE CONQUEROR WORM has the entire original score replaced for VHS and cable in the U.S. The UK/European version WITCHFINDER GENERAL has original score in all formats.
Syndicated broadcast prints of CONQUEROR WORM have original score.
Old 05-09-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Pink Flamingos. The original VHS releases had the original music but the 25th Anniversary and after have some replacement music. It's mostly obscure music they could not find better copies of (originally it was needledrops from John Waters' personal collection). Only 1 or 2 was for rights issues.

Spoiler:
Pink Flamingos (1972 theatrical version) / New Line re-release DVD (25th Anniversary
Edition):

1. The Swag, Link Wray & His Ray Men (00:00) / re-release = same
2. Unknown sleazy sax music (11:54) / re-release = Intoxica, The Centurians
3. Jim Dandy, Lavern Baker (16:08) / re-release = same
4. I'm Not A Juvenile Delinquent, Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers (16:58) / re-release =
same
5. The Girl Can't Help It, Little Richard (18:32) / re-release = same
6. Oh, Look-a There, Ain't She Pretty, Bill Haley & His Comets (20:46) / re-release = same
7. Unknown sax music (21:50) / re-release = Chicken Grabber, The Nighthawks
8. Happy Birthday, Eddy Howard (40:00) / re-release = same
9. Sixteen Candles, The Crests (54:04) / re-release = Happy Happy Birthday Baby, The Tune
Weavers
10. Pink Champagne, The Tyrones (54:12) / re-release = same
11. Rite of Spring, Igor Stravinsky (54:24) / re-release = Symphony, 2nd Movement: Allegro
12. Surfin' Bird (Bird is the Word), The Trashmen (57:34) / re-release = same
13. Riot in Cellblock 9, The Coasters (60:10) (sound effects from start of song) / re-release =
same
14. Bridal Chorus, Wagner (61:25) / re-release = same tune, different version
15. Unknown sax tune (62:16) / re-release = Chicken Grabber, The Nighthawks
16. (How Much Is) That Doggie In The Window, Patti Page (87:15) / re-release = same
Old 05-10-14, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The movie Dr. Phibes Rises Again ends with Phibes (Vincent Price) singing a verse of "Over the Rainbow" and the song playing over the end credits (which is also the way it is on the DVD), but the VHS version substituted generic music instead.
Old 05-14-14, 05:44 PM
Banned

love at 1st bite doesn't have the disco hit song "i love the night life" on dvd.
Old 05-15-14, 07:08 PM

I've not seen this on movies (or at least I haven't noticed). It's been an issue with numerous TV on DVD releases. The most obvious was The Greatest American Hero. It's also been quoted as the reason Cold Case will not be released on DVD. It's a money issue, especially for older material. Hard to justify the expense for music studios on a product that isn't likely to be a big seller. It doesn't affect new material as the contract for music rights generally include all formats in use at the time the rights are contracted.
Old 05-15-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The nightclub scene in Nighthawks - the vhs & p&s dvd goodtimes release has original music, widescreen universal has music replaced.
Old 05-16-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 21 Jump Street discs also had much of the music replaced in almost all of the episodes.

The 21 Jump Street spin-off Booker had the original title song replaced because I guess they didn't want to pay Billy Idol for "Hot in the City". I also remember they had to omit one complete episode because it was filled with BB King music and by omitting it all, it would make the episode completely incoherent.
Old 05-16-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't EXPELLED have "Imagine" removed for the home video release, due to the lawsuit from Yoko Ono? Which the producers of Expelled won, but not in time to keep the song for the home video release?

Last edited by dugan; 05-16-14 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-16-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoutjunk
The movie Dr. Phibes Rises Again ends with Phibes (Vincent Price) singing a verse of "Over the Rainbow" and the song playing over the end credits (which is also the way it is on the DVD), but the VHS version substituted generic music instead.
Abominable ended with that song too. Was that replaced as well?
Old 05-19-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I think Weird Science had some of the music changed. Pretty Woman and the Rocky theme are replaced with "Weird Science." This was for the original VHS and the first DVD edition.

Return of the Living Dead had some issues with this but I don't know what versions.

Tales from the Darkside's soundtrack for the different episodes was originally stock music but when it was put on DVD they didn't want to pay all the royalties for the individual music tracks so they recorded generic music for each episode. Which is why I haven't bought the DVD set.
Old 05-20-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"California Split" (Robert Altman film)
Old 05-20-14, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Little Darlings - yet to be released on DVD. Depending on which color VHS box you get has the "original" theatrical released songs on it. Red - no. Blue - yes.
Old 05-24-14, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

On the DVD for The Last American Virgin the song "Love Action (I Believe in Love)" by The Human League was replaced, apparently at the request of the band. It's present on the original MGM/UA VHS tape, though.
Old 05-30-14, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

This may not count, but there's a sort-of replacement in the newer DVD/Blu-ray of SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT that bothered me enough to keep the inferior older DVD on hand. During the "rocking chair" sequence where Bandit enlists several trucks to hide his car from the cops pursuing him, the newer discs replace — somewhat sloppily — Jerry Reed's "East Bound and Down" from the original mono soundtrack with a different stereo version (not sure if it's from elsewhere in the film or from an album perhaps?). It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but the song just sounds "off" at several moments throughout the sequence on the newer discs. Really wish they'd leave stuff alone sometimes.
Old 05-30-14, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mostaccioli
love at 1st bite doesn't have the disco hit song "i love the night life" on dvd.
Which was one of the most memorable scenes in the movie. It's like if they released Pulp Fiction and changed the music Travolta and Thurman were dancing to. Crazy.
Old 05-31-14, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

The opening credits of the concert film Elvis on Tour replaced a cover version of "Johnny B Goode" with "Don't Be Cruel" because they couldn't get the rights to the Chuck Berry song.

(It turns out that the standard compulsory license that allows the right to cover songs doesn't apply if the song is synced to filmed images, in which case the rights to the original song are needed just to play the cover version within a film.)

Last edited by dhmac; 05-31-14 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-02-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
This may not count, but there's a sort-of replacement in the newer DVD/Blu-ray of SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT that bothered me enough to keep the inferior older DVD on hand. During the "rocking chair" sequence where Bandit enlists several trucks to hide his car from the cops pursuing him, the newer discs replace — somewhat sloppily — Jerry Reed's "East Bound and Down" from the original mono soundtrack with a different stereo version (not sure if it's from elsewhere in the film or from an album perhaps?). It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but the song just sounds "off" at several moments throughout the sequence on the newer discs. Really wish they'd leave stuff alone sometimes.
I didn't know this. I'm not that big of a fan of the film, but thought the blu-ray fixed problems... I bought it & it has been sitting on the shelf. I know they fixed the missing horn honk because that I checked.
Old 06-03-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

National Lampoon's Vacation

When the "Girl in the Red Ferrari" first appears, The Pointer Sisters' "I'm So Excited" played in the background. When it aired on HBO in the 80s and cable TV throughout the 90s, it was still intact (same with the original PAL VHS and Beta versions on home video).

For whatever reason, WB wouldn't pony up the money for later VHS editions and any subsequent DVD, Blu-ray or TV print. Instead, they play June Pointer's "Little Boy Sweet" (it's also used when Chevy Chase is flirting with Christie Brinkley and eating the sandwich with dog piss on it).

Last edited by My Other Self; 06-03-14 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I seem to remember "Sweet Little Boy" being on the original VHS tape in the Warner clam-shell case. To me, that was original song as it was the first time I saw the movie.

I recall seeing it much later on TV and noticing the song changed to (the original) "I'm So Excited".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.