Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brenda Joyce as Jane in Tarzan movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I've recently been watching the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movies and just came to the 12th and final one. These last ones have featured Brenda Joyce as Jane and have seen that she plays the part in the first post-Weissmuller movie TARZAN'S MAGIC FOUNTAIN, which starred Lex Barker as the big T.

However Brenda Joyce didn't return for any more. Given that Barker played the character in a further four Tarzan movies, does anyone here know why Joyce didn't come back?

Last edited by sharktrager; 04-28-14 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Added image
Old 04-28-14, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Brenda Joyce as Jane in Tarzan movies

Magic Fountain was not only her last Tarzan movie, but her last movie. She retired from show business.
Old 04-28-14, 07:09 AM

Oh dear. Do you know why?
Old 04-28-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by sharktrager
Oh dear. Do you know why?
Next time you have a question like this, look up the performer on IMDB. Here's what the Bio section says about the latter part of Joyce's career and it should answer your question:

The studio didn't take kindly to her impulsive 1941 marriage to army husband Owen Ward and supposedly punished her by relegating her to "B" films. Three children were the result of this first marriage -- Pam, Timothy and Beth. Brenda eventually lost interest in her career, but was coaxed back to the film set when brunette Maureen O'Sullivan left the Tarzan series and Johnny Weissmuller approved the athletic beauty as his new blonde swinging mate. Beginning a four-year excursion with the film Tarzan and the Amazons (1945), Brenda continued on as Jane after Weissmuller left (actor Lex Barker took over), but finally decided enough was enough. Brenda left after her fifth movie, Tarzan's Magic Fountain (1949), and just walked away -- never to return.

Following her movie career, Brenda moved to the Washington D.C. area and worked with the Refugee Services for nearly 10 years in which she helped displaced persons find employment and places to live. This line of work eventually had her relocate to the Carmel, California area and she worked with Catholic Resettlement in Seaside, California (near Monterey). Besieged by personal and health problems in later years, she endured a painful divorce from Ward in 1960 after 19 years of marriage. She was then married and divorced twice more. Suffering from dementia in her twilight years, she stayed with her children at various stages until she was forced to be institutionalized in a nursing home in Santa Monica, California. Brenda died there of complications from pneumonia in 2007.
Old 04-28-14, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the info, it's really interesting.

However I was under the impression that I was somewhere where I could discuss movies and related topics. Surely I can have such a discussion here?
Old 04-28-14, 11:24 AM

Sorry, on second read I see that it's more likely advice rather than instruction.

A shame that tone doesn't come across in text. :-)
Old 04-28-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I thought the discussion was interesting since I'm not familiar with Joyce or the Tarzan movies--need to watch those someday.
Old 04-28-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both Weismuller sets--don't think I've watched that last one, though. These are fun movies, although they did get a bit more low-budget and sillier as the series went on.
Old 04-28-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sharktrager
Sorry, on second read I see that it's more likely advice rather than instruction.

A shame that tone doesn't come across in text. :-)
Yeah, I tried to avoid that "Google is your friend" thing that people usually give when I ask a question that could easily be answered by a Google search. But IMDB is often quite helpful in areas like this and I try to urge people to use it rather than Wiki for film/actor-related questions. I didn't know why Ms. Joyce had left the business, so I couldn't tell you without first searching on IMDB myself (and satisfying my own curiosity). I can tell you, though, that a lot of actresses I like left the business once the studios started dropping contract players. Many of them simply got married and had children and decided to devote themselves to that. Not everyone can be as driven as, say, Bette Davis or Joan Crawford.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-28-14 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I have both Weismuller sets--don't think I've watched that last one, though. These are fun movies, although they did get a bit more low-budget and sillier as the series went on.
I've only got the first set...

...but I'm interested in seeing some of the later b-movies with Weissmuller. Some of the best Sherlock Holmes movies are the ones from the 40s with Basil Rathbone, after Universal slashed the budgets and put Holmes in the modern day to avoid paying for period sets and costumes. Working in low-budget schlock often brings out the best in filmmakers.
Old 04-28-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Magic Fountain was not only her last Tarzan movie, but her last movie. She retired from show business.
Oddly enough, this was "Breaking News" on CNN this morning.
Old 04-28-14, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jory
I've only got the first set...

...but I'm interested in seeing some of the later b-movies with Weissmuller. Some of the best Sherlock Holmes movies are the ones from the 40s with Basil Rathbone, after Universal slashed the budgets and put Holmes in the modern day to avoid paying for period sets and costumes. Working in low-budget schlock often brings out the best in filmmakers.
The later ones are OK, but the earlier ones are definitely better. The final one, TARZAN AND THE MERMAIDS from 1948 was awful. It makes me quietly concerned about the next in the series, TARZAN'S MAGIC FOUNTAIN from the following year, with Lex Barker. Will be watching it in the next week or so.
Old 11-02-14, 10:06 AM

Good Morning,

If you like Brenda Joyce, "Whispering Ghosts", "Pillow of Death" and, "Strange Confession" are a few of her better non-Tarzan films (IMO).
Old 11-02-14, 10:07 AM

"Public Deb #1", is another goodie.
Old 11-02-14, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-02-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KNJ1B_2b17s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-02-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Breaking News: The Brenda Joyce cult lives...on DVD Talk...Film at Eleven.

(Some of us, of course, have moved on...

...to Brenda Song!)

Old 11-02-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

or