Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Cagayan -- "Sitting in My Spy Shack" -- 4/23/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Survivor: Cagayan -- "Sitting in My Spy Shack" -- 4/23/14

"Sitting in My Spy Shack" - Homesick castaways are granted a brief reprieve with letters from home. Meanwhile, one castaway secretly embarks on a stakeout to gather intel from the competition and another castaway falls hard while attempting to collect coconuts from the treetops, on SURVIVOR, Wednesday, April 23 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CASTAWAYS:

Solarrion Tribe
Jefra Bland
Spencer Bledsoe
Latasha "Tasha" Fox
Trish Hegarty Latasha "Tasha" Fox
Yung "Woo" Hwang
Kassandra "Kass" McQuillen
Tony Vlachos
Jeremiah Wood

Eliminated Castaways:

Brains Tribe
David Samson (1st Voted Off)
Garrett Adelstein (2nd Voted Off)
J'Tia Taylor (4th Voted Off)

Beauty Tribe
Brice Johnston (3rd Voted Off)
Alexis Maxwell (7th Voted Off)
Morgan McLeod (9th Voted Off, Jury)
LJ McKanas (10th Voted Off, Jury)

Brawn Tribe
Cliff Robinson (5th Voted Off)
Lindsey Ogle (6th Off, Quit)
Sarah Lacina (8th Voted Off, Jury)

Read more: Listings - SURVIVOR on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2zl7gJ86Z

Last edited by DJariya; 04-23-14 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-23-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Survivor: Cagayan -- "Sitting in My Spy Shack" -- 4/23/14

"Put your hand down a level on your pole... and put your balls back up."

--best Probst quote ever
Old 04-23-14, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I missed Tony explaining his idol. What's so special about it?
Old 04-23-14, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

he can play it after the votes are read

so, he will not pull a spencer and use it when not needed. he can simply wait till he is voted out, then use.
Old 04-23-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm so bored with Survivor Scavenger Hunt. Hopefully, Tony can't play that idol beyond final five.

I liked Jeremiah's Ric Flair tribute. Woooooooo!
Old 04-23-14, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Pretty obvious the other two are next to go unless they win immunity. I was hoping Jefra would go against Tony but she wimped out. Would've been nice to see the special idol used right when he got it.
Old 04-23-14, 08:42 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hate Tony he has to go.
Old 04-23-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
he can play it after the votes are read

so, he will not pull a spencer and use it when not needed. he can simply wait till he is voted out, then use.
Hate that the show brought back this kind of idol. Way too powerful. Though it worked best when everyone knows who has it ... which makes them stay away from that person.

Kass of all people lecturing Jeffra not to vote based on emotion

Jeremiah thinking he had some big revelation in saying he's a model, when all the players are pretty much assuming everyone from the beauty tribe were models, actors, or beauty pageant winners Farewell Jeremy ... we hardly knew ya!
Old 04-23-14, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Another tribal council, another big move!" -Probst

What exactly was the 'big' move? They voted out someone in the minority alliance... HUGE move. The only shocking thing was he didn't call it a blindside and slap up " #blindside " on the screen.

While Tony has been kind of an annoying ass throughout the show and can't go soon enough, Spenser was coming off as a bit of an ass on this show too. It's amazing that Kass might actually still have an outside shot as she could probably out talk most of these folks in front of a jury.

Originally Posted by brainee
Kass of all people lecturing Jeffra not to vote based on emotion
Good to see I was not the only one who saw the hypocrisy and unintentional humor in that.
Old 04-23-14, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Isn't it kinda of hard to build an effective spy shack when you have cameras shooting from both behind and in front of it?
Old 04-23-14, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

I was momentarily hopeful that Tony would get the votes, but he would have played the new idol anyway. I'd like to see a season with no idol or at least no recycling just to give us a break from the concept. Still glad they dumped Redemption Island, though.

The papayas were "as big as Morgan's boobs!"

Originally Posted by wirefan
"Another tribal council, another big move!" -Probst

What exactly was the 'big' move? They voted out someone in the minority alliance... HUGE move. The only shocking thing was he didn't call it a blindside and slap up " #blindside " on the screen.
He was referring to Spencer having played the idol because he followed up with "They don't always work, but you have to keep making them."
Old 04-23-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Spencer has to win the immunity challenge or find the newly hidden idol. The ideal outcome would be for either he or Tasha to find the HII and the other win, so they are both covered. If they keep sticking around, cracks could form in the other alliance because of Tony's paranoia and give them a fighting chance, slim though it may be.

Really though,the only way I see either of them making it to the end is going on a challenge run.
Old 04-24-14, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This season has kind of run its course for me. There's almost no one to root for at this point and I don't care to continue watching when someone I find despicable is going to win.
Old 04-24-14, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mok
I hate Tony he has to go.
Hate is a strong word. I'm confused as to how Tony can be hated. He's playing the game and really hasn't done anything that I would find bad enough to hate him for. He's no Fireman Tom in the admirable department but c'mon.

He's gotten rid of a big target that he did not have an original alliance with. That causes someone to dislike him? He sneaks around? And?

He's stuck with his original alliance of Woo and Trish and to me that is pretty admirable.

Is his ego big? Sure. But he's the type of player I like in this game.
Old 04-24-14, 07:53 AM
Banned

I guess it's inconsistent that I thought Russell Hantz should have won but can't stand Tony, but every time he opens his mouth, it just grates on my nerves.

Hantz could be a threatening bully, but he worked his butt off finding idols (which, admittedly, weren't very hard to find) while others lay around camp. Guess some would say the same for Tony.

I wouldn't mind Tony so much if every episode didn't feature him twice as much as anyone else. I'm cynical enough to think that the producers dreamed up the "Double Secret Probation" idol during the show specifically to keep Tony around. Part of the allure of the HII was guessing whether the person holding it (or them, as in the case of the person who got voted off with two in his pocket) would play it or not. Now it's academic...Tony has a Get Out of Jail Free pass to use any time they vote against him. He could reveal that to people to avoid votes and keep it as long as possible; the only reason for them to vote for him then would be to get rid of it (in which case, it would just be re-hidden for Tony to find).

Note also that the idol can't be given to anyone else, insuring that the person who found it would be protected. Not that T. would have used it to save anyone in his alliance, but that's not even an option.

Besides...now what motive does Tony have to keep his alliance together for numbers purposes? He's safe right up until the end anyway, so he can vote out people with impunity. Of course, it makes sense to get rid of Tasha & Spencer since they'd get a lot of jury votes and both have won immunity (twice in Tasha's case).
Old 04-24-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yeah I don't get the Tony hate. Spencer is so damn cocky its annoying IMO.
Old 04-24-14, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
This season has kind of run its course for me. There's almost no one to root for at this point and I don't care to continue watching when someone I find despicable is going to win.
Yeah, I kind of feel the same way...and Tony finding that idol without any clues to its location just leads me to believe it was planted by the producers in a place they knew he would search or he got tipped off in some other way. I'm invested enough to finish watching the season, but other than Spencer (whom I feel probably has, what - one or two more weeks to go?), there's no one left to root for.
Old 04-24-14, 08:21 AM
Banned

Glad to see that I'm not alone in thinking that the producers may be aiding Tony. And I'm off the Spencer bandwagon a bit, too. Agree that he's seeming more arrogant as the game goes on...thought it was just his way of being more assertive but not sure now.

Pulling for Tasha. She's got an uphill battle vs. Tony's Twits, but maybe she can find a HII or keep winning immunity. She might be targeted next before Spencer.

Jefra just pawn in game of life. Tans up right nice, though.

Had to laugh at Tony thinking he used his fake idol to fool Spencer (when Woo was the target).
Old 04-24-14, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Survivor fanbase has become so pathetically whiney. This is why I stick to podcasts and talking directly to the Survivors on Twitter these days.
Old 04-24-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Probst answered a question on ew.com about Tony finding the idol without the clue and how that made him feel. The answer seems to imply that it's very likely we'll be seeing Tony again at some point. Interesting, but not surprising.

Spoiler:
PROBST: It makes me excited. I love anybody who plays hard. They are almost always the people we end up inviting to play again. Because they are playing the game! Not sitting around. Anybody who is out digging for an idol or forcing a blindside or betraying an alliance to better their position in the game is a dynamic player and that’s why you see them returning as “all-stars” in future seasons.
Old 04-24-14, 10:20 AM

I don't mind Tony. I don't like the power he has with the new idol, but that's not his fault. The idol was there for anyone to find. Tony just seemed more motivated than anyone else to find it. So, good for him. The idol wasn't handed to him, he got off his butt and looked for it, like everyone else should have been doing.
Old 04-24-14, 10:49 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony is an annoying asshole, but he does make the game interesting. And I concur on Spencer getting a bit too cocky.

So sick of HII's.

Originally Posted by sven
The Survivor fanbase has become so pathetically whiney. This is why I stick to podcasts and talking directly to the Survivors on Twitter these days.
Cool story bro.
Old 04-24-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
I guess it's inconsistent that I thought Russell Hantz should have won but can't stand Tony, but every time he opens his mouth, it just grates on my nerves.

Hantz could be a threatening bully, but he worked his butt off finding idols (which, admittedly, weren't very hard to find) while others lay around camp. Guess some would say the same for Tony.

I wouldn't mind Tony so much if every episode didn't feature him twice as much as anyone else. I'm cynical enough to think that the producers dreamed up the "Double Secret Probation" idol during the show specifically to keep Tony around. Part of the allure of the HII was guessing whether the person holding it (or them, as in the case of the person who got voted off with two in his pocket) would play it or not. Now it's academic...Tony has a Get Out of Jail Free pass to use any time they vote against him. He could reveal that to people to avoid votes and keep it as long as possible; the only reason for them to vote for him then would be to get rid of it (in which case, it would just be re-hidden for Tony to find).

Note also that the idol can't be given to anyone else, insuring that the person who found it would be protected. Not that T. would have used it to save anyone in his alliance, but that's not even an option.

Besides...now what motive does Tony have to keep his alliance together for numbers purposes? He's safe right up until the end anyway, so he can vote out people with impunity. Of course, it makes sense to get rid of Tasha & Spencer since they'd get a lot of jury votes and both have won immunity (twice in Tasha's case).
I agree that being overexposed in the editing is making people hate Tony. A little Tony goes a long way. His personality seems rather abrasive. But he's not really playing a villainous game (aside from the lying, which is just in the context of playing the game). Even in private videos, he's not insulting the other players (like Russell always did). I'd be good with Tony pulling out the win. If he makes it to the end, he'll be able to make a really good argument. Everyone sees that he's playing the game hard, and Tony doesn't seem shy about owning up to his gameplay.

Having Tony get the special idol is particularly bad seems it should alleviate his paranoia (which has been one of his most entertaining qualities). Maybe something will get jumbled up, but I'm feeling like it'll be a boring run to the final episode (when presumably we'll be down to five).

In his EW interview, Jeff promises an unforgettable shock "first" for the show next week. Which would have more weight if Jeff didn't promise that every damn week

"Put your hand down a level on your pole... and put your balls back up."
It's up there with "Troyzan's balls haven't moved in ages!" Challenges with balancing balls brings out his best