Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadliest Catch, Season 10 -- 4/22/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Deadliest Catch, Season 10 -- 4/22/14

So, who saw it? For those who missed it, the opening was held up by the government shutdown. They showed Keith testifying before Congress that if they didn't get crab in to the processor by November 2, the price goes down and hurts the whole fleet. A week later the shutdown ended and everyone charged out to fish.

- Scott Campbell Jr. has a severe back injury. His lumbar discs are herniated and he can barely sit in the chair, but he's trying to tough it out. Previews show he has to leave the boat for surgery. He and Keith made peace, though.

- Jake Anderson is back with the Northwestern and fairly bitter. Can't say I blame him. Those guys in the Kiska Sea were monumental douchebags.

- The Time Bandit took Jake's replacement from the NW and played the ultimate prank. They told the kid he had to go spraypaint the TB logo on the NW under cover of night. Then Jonathan called Sig to warn him what was coming. What followed was the funniest prank ever.

- Cape Caution has a greenhorn who worked on Louisiana fishing boats. He's not making the transition well, and Wild Bill isn't a happy camper.

- No Mike Fourtner this year, but in a pre-show, he did a goofy skit where he talked about the boat crews like football teams on draft day.

- One ship already caught fire and sank. Crew was rescued.

- Sig Hansen's daughter Mandy is supposed to be on but didn't appear last night. About time this show got some eye candy.

Old 04-23-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 970 Likes on 702 Posts
Re: Deadliest Catch, Season 10 -- 4/22/14

I watched the pre show but not the full episode yet. So Mike isn't on any boat this year?
Old 04-23-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No. He and a brother in law are partners in their own boat now.

The Wizard has no greenhorns. All veterans on deck. So maybe for once that boat will tone down the drama.

The Time Bandit is interesting. 5 Hillstrands plus a father and son team, Eddie Uwekoolani Sr. and Jr. And the Saga is also a father and son pairing, Elliot and Mike Neese, except the son is captain and dad is there to help him out since Elliot was such a monumental fuckup.
Old 04-23-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet. No mention of the Cornelia yet? I think I read somewhere that they are coming back for opilio.
Wasn't Mike considering retiring last year? I seem to remember something about that.
Old 04-23-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They mentioned the Cornelia and hinted that Josh would be back for Opilio. No word at all about Jake.
Old 04-23-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't believe this is still on. It was pretty interesting stuff the first few seasons, but these guys became too aware of the camera and started playing it up after the first few seasons.
Old 04-23-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what people want. The audience tunes in to see the cast at this point, not to watch the crab fishing.
Old 04-23-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Josh was back for red crab. DISCOVERY initially took a pass. Josh posted this on Facebook and there was much booing and hissing in Discovery's general direction. They relented for Opilio season.

And true, the audience tunes in for the cast. There is appeal in all of these men. Why do you think Phil's death hit people so hard and is still talked about now, 4 years later?
Old 04-23-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't know that about Josh. Do we know which boat he was on? I'm assuming it wasn't the Cornelia or else Discovery would have been all over it.
Old 04-23-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It looks like the Cornelia is back judging by some snippets on the special they did. Looks like Josh managed to get the boat going again. Hell if that dumbass Elliott can get a boat on the water then Josh should have had a much easier time i would have thought.

I used to really like the show, but these days its like Storage Wars....started off fun, but now its just a huge bore and more scripted TV than reality. (Well Storage Wars was always scripted, but at least the personalities made it fun).

There are just way too many people on this show now that are simply horrible. Everyone on The Wizard is a huge jerkoff. I would give quality money to have 3 minutes of fighting against Keith and Freddy. I would love to pound their faces to mince meat. I am really tired of hearing how this is the most dangerous job in the world by these jerks. I am sure that Bomb Disposal experts would love to have a word with you about that. I can see the lure of money for people, but why anyone would put themselves in a place where they are continually beat down is beyond me. If i were running a boat i would want a harmonious crew as its dangerous and a crew looking out for one another would be a safer environment. These single digit brain celled morons just see it as a chance to beat some young kids up mentally and physically.

On the flip side, Elliott being such a loser makes great viewing. LOL.

Last edited by james2025a; 04-30-14 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-24-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
I didn't know that about Josh. Do we know which boat he was on? I'm assuming it wasn't the Cornelia or else Discovery would have been all over it.
Did you not read my post at all?

Josh has the Cornelia Marie back.

Discovery/Original Productions chose NOT to include the CM, thus, no camera crew.

Fans went nuts on Facebook, and Discovery backed down for Opilio.

Got it?
Old 04-24-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Did you not read my post at all?

Josh has the Cornelia Marie back.

Discovery/Original Productions chose NOT to include the CM, thus, no camera crew.

Fans went nuts on Facebook, and Discovery backed down for Opilio.

Got it?
Jesus, chill out.
Old 04-24-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
It looks like the Cornelia is back judging by some snippets on the special they did. Looks like Josh managed to get the boat going again. Hell if that dumbass Elliott can get a boat on the water then Josh should have had a much easier time i would have thought.

I used to really like the show, but these days its like Storage Wars....started off fun, but now its just a huge bore and more scripted TV than reality. (Well Storage Wars was always scripted, but at least the personalities made it fun).

There are just way too many people on this show now that are simply horrible. Everyone on The Wizard is a huge jerkoff. I would give quality money to have 3 minutes of fighting against Keith and Freddy. I would love to pound their faces to mine meat. I am really tired of hearing how this is the most dangerous job in the world by these jerks. I am sure that Bomb Disposal experts would love to have a word with you about that. I can see the lure of money for people, but why anyone would put themselves in a place where they are continually beat down is beyond me. If i were running a boat i would want a harmonious crew as its dangerous and a crew looking out for one another would be a safer environment. These single digit brain celled morons just see it as a chance to beat some young kids up mentally and physically.

I know how you feel, every single time I see Keith's face I dream about what it would be like to see him get his teeth kicked in.
Old 04-25-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have started watching the first episode of the new season and what a surprise.....Freddy acting tough and Keith backing him up. Freddy is the toughest guy on the Bering Sea according to Keith. I seriously doubt it. He thinks intimidation = toughness. I went up against plenty of these kind of douchebags throughout my school years and they are all the same. The pick on the weak and crumble when someone who can actually take them on appears on the horizon. Picking on Elliott and his mate...the weakest guys out at sea. He is pathetic.

Anyway, the trick they pulled on the guy that switched to the Time Bandit was pretty good. I get a feeling i will be watching this season sporadically and will probably check out after this. They run the concepts of these shows into the ground and the fun and life from early episodes gets sucked away and replaced with ordinary people who are more interested in the camera than what they were originally doing. It becomes painful to watch in the end and boring at best.
Old 04-25-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a

There are just way too many people on this show now that are simply horrible. Everyone on The Wizard is a huge jerkoff. I would give quality money to have 3 minutes of fighting against Keith and Freddy. I would love to pound their faces to mine meat. I am really tired of hearing how this is the most dangerous job in the world by these jerks. I am sure that Bomb Disposal experts would love to have a word with you about that. I can see the lure of money for people, but why anyone would put themselves in a place where they are continually beat down is beyond me. If i were running a boat i would want a harmonious crew as its dangerous and a crew looking out for one another would be a safer environment. These single digit brain celled morons just see it as a chance to beat some young kids up mentally and physically.

You really want to pound Keiths face into your meat? To each his own I guess.

They guy on the Wizard that I can't stand is Monty. Such a whiny bitch.

Same goes for Elliot. Worried more about what who is current girl is banging while he's away, than his guys out on deck.

As to the "Deadliest job" moniker, that comes from the percentage of fatalities and serious injuries among the people doing that type of work. Bomb techs have been nowhere near any of the top lists that I have seen. Loggers/lumberjacks are getting up there in the last couple of years though.
Old 04-29-14, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This week was pretty good. They had a special on the Hansens, similar to the special last year on the Time Bandit. Sig started working for his dad when he was 12! and took over as captain at 22. Edgar talked about his drug problem, and it was rock star bad. He blew hundreds of thousands on coke. They also showed the next generation: Sig's hottie daughter and Edgar's pudgy 15 year old son.

As for the episode, the high point was when all of Sig's forward facing lights going out, so he sent his brother and Jake up a 60 foot mast in 50 mph winds to check the lights. That was a sphincter clenching moment, watching those two up there, being blown around and the ship hitting waves.
Old 04-30-14, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
You really want to pound Keiths face into your meat? To each his own I guess.

As to the "Deadliest job" moniker, that comes from the percentage of fatalities and serious injuries among the people doing that type of work. Bomb techs have been nowhere near any of the top lists that I have seen. Loggers/lumberjacks are getting up there in the last couple of years though.

The Internet Monitor has done his work for the day. Congrats on a most excellent job.
Old 05-27-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the first time, I felt bad for Junior. That has to be some kind of awful pain to puke that much. I got a quick glimpse of his MRI, his entire sacral area looks like hell, with no spaces between the bones. Not surprising, the doctor said he made it worse by going out on the boat.

And Elliot finally melted down, too, thanks to that bitch who bore his children. The one I felt bad for was his old man, because he was torn apart by watching his son spiral downward. So Elliot is off to rehab and Junior goes under the knife and their boats have replacement captains.

Last edited by Traxan; 05-27-14 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a good episode so far. Josh is back on the Cornelia, although I gotta wonder how they convinced the airline to shoot with the cockpit door open.

Sig's hottie daughter is on the Northwestern, and Nick had the best line about having a woman on a fishing boat. "Sometimes it's hard to tell a woman what to do, as we all know."

The best part was Edgar going to see Elliot to have an addict-to-addict talk. Very nice gesture.

Jonathan is off his boat. He's got heart disease from all his years of smoking and hard living. His blood pressure was 170 over 140. Junior was off the boat after having two screws put in his low back for spinal fusion.

This show lives up to its name.

Last edited by Traxan; 06-10-14 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Well, Sig's daughter wasn't actually on the boat once it left Dutch Harbor. I think they oversold that quite a bit. Maybe she comes back later though.

Really enjoying this season. I don't know why each year I think "This will be the year that watching the same couple dozen guys crab fishing might get boring" when year after year I am proven wrong. It is crazy how much happens each season in such a limited sample size of society.
Old 01-11-15, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Elliott Neese dun fucked up. Again.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/01/11/deadli...ab-undersized/

"Deadliest Catch" star Elliott Neese isn't happy with his latest catch -- the salty captain just caught a stiff fine for hauling in undersized crabs.

We found out Neese was busted back in November at Dutch Harbor after Alaskan officials sampled his ship's cargo -- highly valuable red king crab -- and pulled 13 undersized "bugs." That's a rookie mistake and huge no-no, especially when you catch professionally on TV.

Elliott pled guilty and the fine was slashed from $6,000 to $3K.
Old 01-12-15, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Traxan
Elliott Neese dun fucked up. Again.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/01/11/deadli...ab-undersized/

"Deadliest Catch" star Elliott Neese isn't happy with his latest catch -- the salty captain just caught a stiff fine for hauling in undersized crabs.

We found out Neese was busted back in November at Dutch Harbor after Alaskan officials sampled his ship's cargo -- highly valuable red king crab -- and pulled 13 undersized "bugs." That's a rookie mistake and huge no-no, especially when you catch professionally on TV.

Elliott pled guilty and the fine was slashed from $6,000 to $3K.
Eh. The deckhands will pay that fine. Besides 13 crab? Out of how many? Sure they use the measuring device so that's the reason the deckhands will pay.
Old 01-12-15, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Good news is that means at least one classic rat-faced tantrum from Elliott this coming season.