Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rip ac/dc: 1973 - 2014 [update: not necessarily dead...]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-15-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://theorstrahyun.blogspot.com.au...1973-2014.html

RIP AC/DC: 1973 - 2014

AC/DC are ending their 41 year career on a terribly sad note.

Plans were underway for a new studio album, their first since 2008's monumental Black Ice, and a '40th Anniversary' world tour, 40 huge shows across the globe.

About 3 weeks ago, founding member, rhythm guitarist, co-producer and co-songwriter Malcolm Young had a stroke, which left a blood clot on his brain.

When AC/DC reunited at the start of April to begin a month of rehearsals, in the lead-up to new album recording sessions, Malcolm discovered he couldn't play. At least, he couldn't play like he used to play.

Nothing has been officially confirmed, as of this writing, but friends and family members have been discussing what happened to Malcolm for the past couple of weeks. The blood clot, resulting from the stroke, is believed to be why Malcolm couldn't keep working.

Although friends have described Malcolm's condition as serious, it doesn't mean he won't recover. People do get better after strokes, and people do recover lost skills.

But friends and family of band members believe the decision was made last week to call it quits.

Media in Australia have gone ballistic today on rumours of The End Of AC/DC, and it appears the news got out ahead of a planned official announcement from the band and management.

Right now, that announcement is expected Tuesday, April 16, and a press conference has been scheduled.

AC/DC won't continue playing and recording without Malcolm. It can't be done.

While Angus Young is the more famous, and more recognisable, AC/DC is most definitely Malcolm Young's band, he started AC/DC, under the guidance of big brother George Young (ex-Easybeats, and co-producer) and encouraged his younger brother Angus to join him, and take on the world.

Malcolm Young has been the quiet motivator and boss of the band for four decades, co-writing nearly all of AC/DC's classics, and making sure nothing happened to harm or damage the band's reputation, or disappoint the fans who've stuck by them for decades.

His passion for the band and its music, and integrity, were so intense, back in the 1970s he used to have fistfights with his younger brother, Angus, in the studio, when disagreements about a sound or riff couldn't be resolved. Proper punch-ups, teeth were lost, blood was drawn.

So that's it. AC/DC are coming to an end.

But what a career. AC/DC set out to conquer the world, and they did it, multiple times. Even the death of singer Bon Scott barely slowed them down, and only slightly delayed recording sessions for Back In Black.

Back In Black is still one of the biggest-selling albums in rock history, and AC/DC have easily sold more than 180 million albums, and probably half as many singles and DVDs and videos and special edition packages. They've influenced pretty much every hard rock, heavy rock and heavy metal band that has followed in their wake, including Nirvana, Metallica, you name them, they probably grew up loving AC/DC. And AC/DC are still in the record books for one of the biggest live audiences in rock history, playing to more than 1.6 million people in Moscow, in 1991. They were invited to play by the youth of Russia, who grew up on AC/DC bootlegs, after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

The band have been written off by critics, numerous times, but they stuck to their guns and beliefs and never compromised their sound. They were rarely, almost never, tempted by the musical fades that came and went over the decades. They dabbled in glam rock at the start of their career, but that barely lasted through the recording sessions of their debut album. Their fans wanted rock n roll, heavy rock, they could rely on, and that's what AC/DC delivered, across more than 14 albums, and numerous live-in-concert releases.

Malcolm Young never gave up on his belief that 1950s and 1960s rock n roll was rarely bettered, and he used the riffs and rhythms of black blues players as the basis for AC/DC's sound. He's also cited The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards as a key influence, and talks about that influence in the below interview.

The secret to Malcolm's playing, as Guitar Magazine explained, was open chords with the amps turned down, not up, and mics shoved right up close to capture all the details. He didn't churn out huge rock riffs through blasting amplifiers, his playing, and magic, is much more subtle than that, despite the rawness of the early studio albums.

I still reckon AC/DC's 2008 album Black Ice was amongst the best they made, right up their with Back In Back and Highway To Hell (their last album with Bon Scott), it's absolutely killer, and filled with excellent playing, classic AC/DC songs about rock n roll and some of Brian Johnson's better vocal performances. It's also pretty much a live-in-the-studio album, with minimal overdubs, just like they did it back in the Alberts Studio days in the mid-1970s.

Malcolm's work on Black Ice, in particular, is superb, not just the detail of his playing, but also his songwriting with brother Angus. They worked on the writing of the Black Ice songs for five years, and gave themselves the time to get it right. They nailed every single one, and Black Ice became the 2nd highest selling album of 2008.

Rock N Roll Dream, from Black Ice, is everything AC/DC was about. They wanted the rock n' roll dream, they got it, then they lived it.

"And it could be the very last time..."

Malcolm Young and his family have now returned to Australia. Everyone is hoping he makes a recovery, but close friends are saying the situation is not looking good, right now. Things may change. We can hope they change, and Malcolm recovers.

Instead of linking to an AC/DC classic, most of which you've probably heard a thousand times already, here's a rare treat instead - Malcolm Young's rhythm guitar from Let There Be Rock, way back in 1976.

Updates to follow

Last edited by inri222; 04-15-14 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
re: Rip ac/dc: 1973 - 2014 [update: not necessarily dead...]

How is "Let There Be Rock" not an AC/DC "classic"?

Sad to hear about Malcolm, and I hope he recovers quickly and fully. As far as AC/DC, it's probably as good a time as any to hang it up.
Old 04-15-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Damn, this is very fucking sad to hear. I saw them for the first time on the Black Ice tour at the Forum and it was the loudest show I had ever been to.
Old 04-15-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Was hoping to see them one last time, but it wouldn't be right without Malcolm.
Old 04-15-14, 10:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That's really sad, but they've had a great run.
Old 04-15-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OP, where did you get the link from in your post?
Old 04-15-14, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
OP, where did you get the link from in your post?
Oops sorry about that

http://theorstrahyun.blogspot.com.au...1973-2014.html

Also added it on top.
Old 04-15-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's indeed really sad. When people talk about the AC/DC sound they're talking about Malcolm's peerless rhythm guitar work, it's the bedrock of the entire band. Also, as the article notes, he was the primary songwriter and leader of the band. It's classy if the band decides to call it quits at this point.

It's not hyperbole to say that Malcolm is one of the most underappreciated musicians in rock history.
Old 04-15-14, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
How is "Let There Be Rock" not an AC/DC "classic"?

Sad to hear about Malcolm, and I hope he recovers quickly and fully. As far as AC/DC, it's probably as good a time as any to hang it up.
The song itself is a classic, but the clip they have is just Malcolm's guitar parts. That's what makes it rare. Though it is an odd listen with all the gaps of silence.
Old 04-15-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn. I would've loved to see them one more time.
Old 04-15-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

It's sad reality but the great Rock Bands out there left are just...getting older. It's hard to believe they're up there near 60!

Blood clots are no laughing matter and sadly people do recover but not completely. We have someone at work that had one two years ago and never has fully been able to speak as well as before. It has some effect that just stays. I hope he does come back strong. If AC/DC hangs it up...it will be a dark day in Rock.
Old 04-15-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I have seen AC/DC live about 6-7 times. Never a dull show. First time was back in '87 and every time after that when they came around I would go.
Sad to see they have to go out on these terms rather than a farewell tour, but they had one hell of a run and they will always be remembered.

Parties are never parties without Back in Black album playing at some point.

EDIT From BW&BK
AC/DC Not On Cusp Of Retirement, Says Sources
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 14:46:25 EST

Rumors of AC/DC's imminent demise appear to be exaggerated, reports Billboard.com's Gary Graff. Reports surfaced Monday in the group's native Australia that the quintet was on the verge of announcing its retirement due to one band member's (presumably guitarist Malcolm Young's) serious illness. But insiders tell Billboard that there's no truth to the rumor, though the group's management and Columbia Records, it's current label, have chosen not to comment on the matter.
Australia's Noise11.com adds that the source of the retirement rumor was an email sent to Perth radio station 6PR from an anonymous tipster using the handle Thunderstruck. The station subsequently spread the word, setting off a flurry of reports first throughout Australia and then worldwide.

This is hardly the first time AC/DC has been rumored to be on the verge of calling it quits. Frontman Brian Johnson set off a furor in 2011 when he spoke of retirement, though he subsequently claimed to have been quoted out of context.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...irement-rumors
Old 04-15-14, 02:42 PM

I'll just wait till AC/DC confirm it themselves.
Would love to see them live again!
Old 04-15-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

From Eddie trunk today via Twitter:

To everyone asking about AC/DC I have no confirmed info one way or other. Until there is a real official release from band all speculation

Have heard for a long time someone in band is ill & obviously nobody getting younger. But let's wait until real info from band is released

Rock "media" is insane these days! many put stock in "sources" w/ very little cred. Until AC/DC says something official nothing to discuss..
Old 04-15-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
From Eddie trunk today via Twitter:
Exactly what I've been telling people all day, too. Until it's official from the band themselves, it's all just rumors.

So many news agencies are so desperate to jump on, or be first with a story, that they'll post anything these days. Even if it hasn't been substantiated yet.
Old 04-15-14, 07:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If AC/DC were to quit now, I'd celebrate their long career, but I don't think I'd lament over any lost albums we might have gotten from them. Black Ice was wholly forgettable, IMO.
Old 04-15-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
If AC/DC were to quit now, I'd celebrate their long career, but I don't think I'd lament over any lost albums we might have gotten from them. Black Ice was wholly forgettable, IMO.
They've reached the point where they should just tour on their legacy and the depth of their catalog. I'm not interested in hearing new music from them, but would have liked to see them again. My only time was the Blow Up Your Video tour and I remember being underwhelmed. Would like a chance to update that opinion.
Old 04-15-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Highway to Hell will always be my favorite album of theirs.

I only saw them once in concert - 1988. White Lion opened for them - and were booed off the stage!
Old 04-15-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I wouldn't say completely forgettable. There are some really good tracks on there ("War Machine," for one).

And Black Ice was a significant improvement over Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip.

While they weren't likely to come up with another Back In Black, or even a For Those About To Rock, it would have been nice for them to be able to go out with one more album, trying to bring the quality up one more notch.

But if they really are done, at least Black Ice was better than it's two predecessors and they didn't go out with one of them as their final album!
Old 04-15-14, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

War Machine
Old 04-15-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I wouldn't say completely forgettable. There are some really good tracks on there ("War Machine," for one).

And Black Ice was a significant improvement over Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip.

While they weren't likely to come up with another Back In Black, or even a For Those About To Rock, it would have been nice for them to be able to go out with one more album, trying to bring the quality up one more notch.

But if they really are done, at least Black Ice was better than it's two predecessors and they didn't go out with one of them as their final album!
Total ! Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip were one and done lps. Black Ice, while no classic, was a pretty good start to finish album. I would hate to seem them retire. I grew up watching "Jailbreak" on my parents 10 foot satellite, on some Canadian channel. Back in Black rates in the top 5 as a complete album for me in all of hard rock.
I didn't have the original, I just had the cassette from Columbia house that liked to put the red lines down the bind of the case. Anybody remember those days?
Old 04-16-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Exactly what I've been telling people all day, too. Until it's official from the band themselves, it's all just rumors.

So many news agencies are so desperate to jump on, or be first with a story, that they'll post anything these days. Even if it hasn't been substantiated yet.
I hate to say this, but where there's smoke there's fire. It seems like something is up; there hasn't been any official statement. I don't think Angus, Brian, or Malcolm has said anything yet.

The problem with rumors like this is that they will be denied until they are ready to make an announcement. It's like that with any other business; things aren't true until they are officially announced.
Old 04-16-14, 08:42 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

From the Torygraph:

AC/DC: We are not retiring
Exclusive: Brian Johnson, the frontman of the rock band AC/DC, tells Jake Wallis Simons that rumours that the band are about to split up following concerns for the health of Malcolm Young are not true
Old 04-16-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
From the Torygraph:

AC/DC: We are not retiring
He does, more or less, confirm that a member of the band is having health problems.
Old 04-16-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This was just posted on the band's Facebook page:

After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.