Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- "Providence" -- 4/15/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- "Providence" -- 4/15/14

HUNTED BY FRIENDS AND FOES ALIKE, COULSON'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. LOOK FOR SAFE HAVEN, ON ABC'S "MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D."

Bill Paxton Guest Stars as Agent John Garrett

Patton Oswalt Guest Stars as Agent Eric Koenig

Adrian Pasdar ("Heroes") Guest Stars as US Air Force Colonel Glenn Talbot

"Providence" - With Colonel Glenn Talbot now on their trail, Coulson and his team seek refuge in the last place anyone would look, where they begin to uncover S.H.I.E.L.D.'s most dangerous secrets -- secrets that could destroy them all, on "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," TUESDAY, APRIL 15 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." stars Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May, Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward, Chloe Bennet as Skye, Iain De Caestecker as Agent Leo Fitz and Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Jemma Simmons.

Guest starring are Bill Paxton as Agent Garrett, David Conrad as Ian Quinn, Ruth Negga as Raina, B.J. Britt as Agent Triplett, Adrian Pasdar as Col. Talbot, Patton Oswalt as Koenig, Patrick Brennan as Marcus Daniels, Rich Paul as Agent #1, Bayardo De Murguia as Agent #2, Jeffrey Muller as Agent Kaminsky, Alysha Del Valle as ABC reporter and Ramon Hilario as barber.

"Providence" was written by Brent Fletcher and directed by Milan Cheylov.

Episode 18 of 22

Episode 17 "Turn, Turn Turn" is being repeated at 8pm in case anyone held off on watching it due to not seeing Captain America yet.
Old 04-15-14, 11:47 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- "Providence" -- 4/15/14

This article states that there is a good chance this will be renewed, along with "Agent Carter" being picked up straight to series. "Agent Carter" would bridge the gap between SHIELD's Fall and Spring break.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/pilo...-buzz-edition/

Then there is Marvel’s stealth Agent Carter project. Last year, the company went into Fort Knox mode on its Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot, which was kept under lock and key. They took that a notch further this year with Agent Carter. Because there is a prototype — the project is inspired by a one shot, which was featured on the Blu-ray release of Iron Man 3 — word has been that it would forgo a pilot and go straight to series. The script was finished more than three months ago (“the script is great,” ABC’s Paul Lee said back in January), the option on one-shot’s star Hayley Atwell came up and was extended, but the green light never came. Now there is talk that a pickup for Agent Carter may come along with a renewal for Marvel’s freshman Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., with the new series possibly serving as a bridge between the fall and spring portions of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Old 04-15-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Eagerly looking forward to tonight! After that double-dose of Marvel last week (Cap 2 and AoS), I really need my fix now.
Old 04-15-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Even though I saw it last week, I think I'll also watch last week's show too. Knowing what happened, I will look at events differently.
Old 04-15-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So they spoil the Ward reveal during the replay. What if this was the first time seeing the episode? That was a crappy thing to do.
Old 04-15-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Interesting how everything is now starting to come together. Definitely works better from a big picture perspective. Was the man with the panther claws an allusion to some other Marvel character? I'm knowledgable but not to that extent.
I really do wish they would stop putting Patton Oswalt on these action shows. I do find him funny, but he can be quite distracting.
Old 04-15-14, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Interesting how everything is now starting to come together. Definitely works better from a big picture perspective. Was the man with the panther claws an allusion to some other Marvel character? I'm knowledgable but not to that extent.
I believe it was a reference to the Griffin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin...rvel_Comics%29

I'm pretty sure they said the name "Johnny Horton" in that scene.
Old 04-15-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Preview said Skye would find out that Ward was Hydra. I guess we have to wait until next week.

Enjoyed the episode. Can't wait to see how SHIELD comes back.
Old 04-15-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ward somehow looks inherently more evil with the stubble.
Old 04-15-14, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully we get to see Graviton this season.

Since they raided The Fridge theoretically Abomination & The Leader could have been let loose too

Last edited by anomynous; 04-15-14 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if there's anything special about these lanyards that Koening is handing out.
Old 04-15-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by anomynous
Hopefully we get to see Graviton this season. Since they raided The Fridge theoretically Abomination & The Leader could have been let loose tok
Supervillains probably aren't in the budget at the moment. Whedon shows take their time getting going, but once they do, it's worth it. This show has hit fifth gear at long last. And now that we know what the characters truly are, the performance have a much nicer edge too. Ward had me fooled the whole time, and indeed the lighter nature of the show almost feels like part of whole charade. I hate saying this as it makes me feel slightly perverse, but when these shows take a darker turn is usually when they get more interesting. Even most of the seeming unnecessary pieces from early episodes look like they're coming into play. Sad that Paxton is a villain though, I'd have loved to have seen him roll with the rest of the team. May is going to have to be their muscle now that Ward has gone over to the dark side. I'm glad I stuck with this show through its rough early stages, it's really found its feet now.
Old 04-15-14, 11:49 PM

I don't think Abomination or The Leader will show up in the show, but it would be dumb if Graviton isn't in it considering the show's introduced him.

But The Leader might have been at The Hub, in which case still could have been freed. Who knows.

Last edited by anomynous; 04-16-14 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Wonder where Hand ended up?
Old 04-16-14, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I was a little disappointed that it was only Quinn that they released, as i was hoping it would be some other new villain. Another solid episode though, I like seeing Coulson get a little unhinged given how he's been the straightman for all the movies and most of the season. I liked Ward explaining all the ways he got close to the team too. I really hope they follow through with him being a bad guy and not try to redeem him.
Old 04-16-14, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Agents Of Shield keeps on delivering the goods. I can't wait to see next week's episode.

Paxton has been a great addition to the show, and I hope they keep him around.

The question is, "Does the Hydra threat get neutralized prior to Age Of Ultron?" It might be overkill to have both threats in the movie (and Ultron's definitely not going to work with Hydra). That could make for an interesting season of Agents of Shield come the fall (and a good reason why ABC/Disney would HAVE to renew it - to at least partially wrap up that storyline for the movies).
Old 04-16-14, 01:44 AM

Well presumably

Spoiler:
The Avengers have to fight Baron Strucker and get the twins to be good guys, so Hydra has to have some element
Old 04-16-14, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Good episode. They finally have someone call another on that, let us in or we I will call them and they will be angry thing. It's used a lot so at least they said, yep, do that. I always think that, yes I WILL check with them.
Old 04-16-14, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Well presumably

Spoiler:
The Avengers have to fight Baron Strucker and get the twins to be good guys, so Hydra has to have some element
Spoiler:

I can't imagine Hydra playing much of a role in the movie, otherwise we get Spider Man 3 syndrome. Like I said, Ultron's not going to work with Hydra - he hates all humans. I can see Von Strucker playing a role in Captain America 3, though.
Old 04-16-14, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were we supposed to know that guy that "paused" at the prison break? Something about sweet dreams.
Old 04-16-14, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Forgot to mention that it was cool to see Adrian Pasdar playing Talbot (That was definetly the ol school-lookin' Talbot) Pasdar also voices Tony Stark on one of the current Avengers toons, BTW.
Old 04-16-14, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to make it clear to those who think there's a chance this isn't being renewed: ABC hasn't announced renewals for any of their shows yet. This show didn't need to be a hit, it just needed to not be a disaster. But it's pretty much a hit. And beyond that, it's a new way to market a major film franchise.

There is no chance this show is canceled this year. None.
Old 04-16-14, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Ward shooting the 2 guards point blank in the face was crazy. Paxton is a great addition to the show. You can tell he is having fun with it.

Speaking of Ward, Brett Dalton seems to be having fun with his heel turn:

As soon as the west coast feed of "Turn, Turn, Turn" ended last week, you changed your entire Twitter layout to reflect HYDRA, which was just great. You're very active on social media, live-tweeting puns during the show. How long did you have that changeover planned?

I sat with the big information they gave me for a couple of days, and I'd say about a week or two after, I thought, "Man this is a great opportunity. Man, this is great." I remember live-tweeting and thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if we did a fun little Twitter stunt where at the end of the episode, what would happen if we changed everything and then it went black?" Then, all I had to do -- Marvel has the best people. I just mentioned that and Samantha Thomas, a producer on the show, helped me with the whole thing and helped facilitate that.

It was a really cool thing. I've never done a Twitter stunt. I usually just hang out with the puns and I find that quite fun, and it's a relief that others do too! [Laughs] It's nice there are others out there who appreciate that, because when you say those things out loud, people just roll their eyes and ask you to leave the room.

When it actually happened, I was watching and I was seeing all the Tweets come in, and I laughed out loud when everyone said, "What? Oh my God! Nobody saw that coming!" But I was talking earlier about how personal feelings can come into it, a personal reaction could come into something like this. And everybody seemed to feel so betrayed that a lot of it came out as, "I can't believe that you did this! I feel so betrayed and I hate Grant Ward now. [Laughs] If you read enough of those, it's hard not to take those kind of personally. There were people who were just so shocked and believe in Agent Grant Ward so much, and SkyeWard -- they believed in this direction they thought it was going, that they were just outraged when it took a turn. But as it came out as a manifestation, there was a lot of the word "hate" in there, "I hate your profile pic, you have to change that, that's just rubbing salt in the wound!" stuff that came out afterward that I got to experience first hand.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52154
Old 04-16-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Well presumably

Spoiler:
Could this possibly be something we see in Agents of SHIELD next season?

Spoilers for Captain America: The Winter Soldier and some very general stuff for Avengers: Age of Ultron:

Spoiler:
Since Agents of SHIELD will be dealing with Hydra and fallout from Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron will obviously be about Ultron, it would seem a natural for Agent of SHIELD to free Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and get them ready for the next Avengers movie.

I can't really see Age of Ultron spending a lot of time establishing the twins and their backstory when they need to deal with Ultron and still have the movie focus on the A-listers.
Old 04-16-14, 08:09 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

So... do you think Ward's wooden acting was due to him being directed to be that way all along since he was a bad guy playing a stiff? I didn't mind him last night.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.