Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bates Motel - "Presumed Innocent" - 4/14/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 08:32 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Bates Motel - "Presumed Innocent" - 4/14/14

Norma's faith in Norman is questioned; Dylan is threatened by a revengeful Zane; Romero receives new evidence in the murder of Miss Watson; Cody and Norman's friendship reaches the breaking point.
Episode 7 of 10
Old 04-14-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Bate's Motel - "Presumed Innocent" - 4/14/14

Looking forward to tonight's episode after the ending of last week's. Seems like the show is really beginning to amp up Norman's descent into craziness.
Old 04-14-14, 10:04 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: Bates Motel - "Presumed Innocent" - 4/14/14

Shiiiiiiit.
Old 04-14-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Hoo boy that look on Paloma/Cody's face in the police station...

Spoiler:
And there she goes...

Also, did anyone notice Romero took prescription meds with alcohol in the final scene? That looked like a whiskey bottle.

Last edited by Traxan; 04-14-14 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Another great episode.
Old 04-15-14, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

I really liked how the whole Cody storyline just turned into a way for the cops to get some evidence on Norman. I should feel conned by the writers, but since I didn't see that coming, I give them a round of applause.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 04-15-14 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved this episode and I want to see how things will play out. I get the feeling that the female cop/foresenic tech will end up dead somehow.
Old 04-15-14, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really, really loved this episode and the show in general. Last season almost lost me - it was too convoluted and contrived, Psycho with rogue cops, marijuana plantations and god only knows what else? It just wasn't what I wanted, nor what I enjoyed. This season? Total turnaround. They are paying off numerous of the more out-there plotlines from last year in spades, all the while pretty well dropping the absurdity with that 'bad cop.'

Just a great episode and season. Totally had forgotten about the hitherto unknown semen sample, and so quite obviously didn't see that reveal coming.

The one thing I don't get, and don't know if they intend (but most importantly, don't even care at this point), is how this can possibly result in a modernized Norman Bates/Psycho scenario at show's end. There just ain't any way whatsoever this Norman Bates can become an anonymous, unnoticed psychopath freely murdering women whilst playing Mommy dearest - for one thing, Norma is becoming so well known about town and I do believe (Been years since I last watched them, however) in the films Norman put on a facade as though his mother were still alive and ill up in the house. I don't think that was just a ruse for his victims, especially given the fact he was off his nut and likely believed it himself.

But I could care less about any of that - this show is what it is, and that's an excellent revitalization on an ancient, seemingly unworkable for a modern TV series, franchise/property.
Old 04-15-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Unless Norman moves to another town and sets up another Bates Motel with the same exact house

Maybe for 4 seconds I thought Cody might die.

This season is going by fast.

I think last year the season ended around Memorial Day with the same number of episodes.
Old 04-15-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coladar1
I really, really loved this episode and the show in general. Last season almost lost me - it was too convoluted and contrived, Psycho with rogue cops, marijuana plantations and god only knows what else? It just wasn't what I wanted, nor what I enjoyed. This season? Total turnaround. They are paying off numerous of the more out-there plotlines from last year in spades, all the while pretty well dropping the absurdity with that 'bad cop.'
That's an interesting perspective, since I find Season 2 far less fun than Season 1 was (although I like this season). Last season the storylines were much faster (two or three major arcs over 10 episodes) and the characters had a wicked sense of humor with each other that is pretty much absent this season. Last season almost every episode had great Twin Peaks-like quotable dialogue. I haven't seen that much at all this year.
Old 04-15-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I think last year the season ended around Memorial Day with the same number of episodes.
Season 1 started the third week of March and ended the third week of May.

Season 2 started the first week of March and will end the first week of May.
Old 04-15-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Coladar1
The one thing I don't get, and don't know if they intend (but most importantly, don't even care at this point), is how this can possibly result in a modernized Norman Bates/Psycho scenario at show's end. There just ain't any way whatsoever this Norman Bates can become an anonymous, unnoticed psychopath freely murdering women whilst playing Mommy dearest - for one thing, Norma is becoming so well known about town and I do believe (Been years since I last watched them, however) in the films Norman put on a facade as though his mother were still alive and ill up in the house. I don't think that was just a ruse for his victims, especially given the fact he was off his nut and likely believed it himself.
I think the townspeople knew Norma was dead in Hitchcock's movie. In the scene where Janet Leigh's sister & boyfried go to the sherrif & say they've seen her in the window, his reply is something like "If that's Mrs Bates up there, who's the woman buried in Greenlawn cemetery?"
Old 04-15-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah it was pretty clear the old timers in town like Sheriff Chambers knew about the "bad business" with the strychnine poisoning of Norma and her lover.

The show is pretty much its own thing. They're not following any of what was alluded to in Psycho II or Psycho IV: The Beginning. I think they've made Norma too much of a quirky character looking out for Norman and not the domineering figure we're familiar with from the movies.

Maybe they're aiming to present the original image of Mother as something created by Norman. I think by this point in Norman's life she should be way more destructive and controlling. Norman seeing Cody should have enraged her since Cody is clearly the kind of "slut" that Mother would disapprove of. I think Norman should be messed up by his Mother. It shouldn't be just some blackouts he has where he goes Psycho.
Old 04-15-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's an interesting perspective, since I find Season 2 far less fun than Season 1 was (although I like this season). Last season the storylines were much faster (two or three major arcs over 10 episodes) and the characters had a wicked sense of humor with each other that is pretty much absent this season. Last season almost every episode had great Twin Peaks-like quotable dialogue. I haven't seen that much at all this year.
I am mostly in agreement. There have been a lot of dead-end storylines this season (Emma's boyfriend, the relationship with Cody, etc). This episode's ending did save it for me, that was quite unexpected.
Old 04-15-14, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Cody's relationship with Norman wasn't wasted. It led to the DNA sample being taken.
Old 04-16-14, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Cody's relationship with Norman wasn't wasted. It led to the DNA sample being taken.
She wasn't a complete waste, but it was a lot of screen time for a character that seemingly was written off the show. It would have been perfectly appropriate character development...if Bates Motel ran 16 or 22 episodes per season.
Old 04-16-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I liked Cody and hope we see her again. As for Norman....dammnnnnnnnn. He's screwed. Great setup for the final three eps of the season.
Old 04-16-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
She wasn't a complete waste, but it was a lot of screen time for a character that seemingly was written off the show. It would have been perfectly appropriate character development...if Bates Motel ran 16 or 22 episodes per season.
I think that the Cody character was intended to give us someone that wasn't afraid to push Norman for answers and changes. Everyone else in his life either doesn't know about his dark side, or doesn't talk about it.

I always feel that Emma is perfect for maintaining Norman as he is (no worse, no better), much like his mother, which is why Norma loves her so much. Cody brought rebellion.
Old 04-21-14, 09:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Finally got around to watching last weeks installment. As mentioned, great episode. Love the periodic subtle foreshadowing shots of Norman they pepper in. The shot of Norman wearing the apron while in the kitchen (which clearly resembles a dress) got a chuckle from me.