TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Simpsons- You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee- 3/30/2014

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
The Simpsons- You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee- 3/30/2014

Synopsis:

During a speech contest, Lisa sings her father's praises about his honesty and integrity on the youth-soccer field, and this leads to him being recruited as a World Cup referee. Once the family arrives in Brazil, Homer is approached by a gangster with a reputation for bribing officials and fixing matches.

Season 25, Episode 16
Old 04-01-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Simpsons- You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee- 3/30/2014

What a snooze fest
Old 04-01-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

This was one of the least memorable episodes in years. I guess it was aimed at international audiences and soccer fans.
Old 04-01-14, 02:44 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's almost like every year or two they(not specifically the Simpsons, but people in general) try to push the excitement of soccer to a U.S. audience.. Americans are, for the most part, never going to be interested in soccer enough to watch it. You'd think that message would have been heard by now. For those Americans that are likely to watch soccer, they are already doing so.

Oh yeah... throwaway episode.
Old 04-01-14, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
It's almost like every year or two they(not specifically the Simpsons, but people in general) try to push the excitement of soccer to a U.S. audience.. Americans are, for the most part, never going to be interested in soccer enough to watch it. You'd think that message would have been heard by now. For those Americans that are likely to watch soccer, they are already doing so.

That's it.. 5 minutes of turbulence for you! And maybe a double Brazillian KrustyBurger beforehand.

I loved this ep, because one.. it was funny, but two it really emphasized why North Americans don't like this sport.. because it's full of divers' and corrupt officials (on all levels). If anything, the international audience would probably be annoyed with this ep.
As a proud soccer-hater, I was thoroughly entertained.
Old 04-01-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand

In case you haven't noticed, they're creeping it into the culture now. They don't care if people asked for it, they're just adding English Football scores in with the "real" scores on ESPN, etc. And of course, Fox Sports 1 is running complete games. The one I saw was Air Emirates playing Hewlett Packard. I guess they finally figured out if we keep showing it, people will start to watch it. Worked for Duck Dynasty after all.

As for this episode of the Simpsons, just awful. I am so sick of Lisa I don't even watch half the time anymore.
Old 04-01-14, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I actually thought it was a decent episode. Nothing too special and probably more of a filler for the season but not bad. The season on a whole has actually been overall good if you ask me. Obviously the show isn't in it's prime anymore but I think the past few years have been good and the show still provides laughs and even nice heartfelt moments.
Old 04-01-14, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
In case you haven't noticed, they're creeping it into the culture now. They don't care if people asked for it, they're just adding English Football scores in with the "real" scores on ESPN, etc. And of course, Fox Sports 1 is running complete games. The one I saw was Air Emirates playing Hewlett Packard. I guess they finally figured out if we keep showing it, people will start to watch it. Worked for Duck Dynasty after all.
Most of the soccer push in America is aimed at immigrants...new to America. They are preparing for the day when the Latino population makes up a much bigger percentage of the population.
Old 04-01-14, 11:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

It's less of a "push" and more of "give people what they want" due to rising demand.
Old 04-01-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Simpsons did an episode about Soccer (& how boring it is) maybe 15 years ago maybe longer, so this isn't new territory