Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How much sleep do you get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 09:56 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much sleep do you get?

I am 35 with a wife, 3 year old son and a 2 month old son. I also work full time. I love to play video games. My gaming time doesn't usually start until 10 or 11pm due to getting the kiddies and wifey getting to bed. I try not to game while they are awake unless my wife is watching one of her tv shows. So with my life if I want to game, I have to sacrifice sleep. Which isn't that huge of a deal, I have never been one of those "gotta have 8 hours per night" people. 5 hours is usually sufficient. Damn Reaper of Souls has really gotten it's hooks into me. I stayed up till 2am last night and had to get up at 5:30. Hopefully when the "newness" of RoS wears off things will go back to normal OR my wife grounds me from my gaming...whichever happens first.
Old 03-26-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: How much sleep do you get?

Originally Posted by wlj
I am 35 with a wife, 3 year old son and a 2 month old son. I also work full time. I love to play video games. My gaming time doesn't usually start until 10 or 11pm due to getting the kiddies and wifey getting to bed. I try not to game while they are awake unless my wife is watching one of her tv shows. So with my life if I want to game, I have to sacrifice sleep. Which isn't that huge of a deal, I have never been one of those "gotta have 8 hours per night" people. 5 hours is usually sufficient. Damn Reaper of Souls has really gotten it's hooks into me. I stayed up till 2am last night and had to get up at 5:30. Hopefully when the "newness" of RoS wears off things will go back to normal OR my wife grounds me from my gaming...whichever happens first.
About 5 hours lol I am just like you, I game once everyone goes down to sleep. It is even more difficult when we watch TV together.
Old 03-26-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not much when I play Bejeweled 3. The I'll play 2 games usually ends up lasting 3 hours and I get up at 4:30AM for work.
Old 03-26-14, 10:10 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I'm almost 32. I have a wife and 13-month-old girl. I work full time.
I don't get to game as much as I used to, obviously, but it's not bad. Usually evenings (8pm or later), after "chores" are done. Lucky for us (and I really do mean LUCKY), our kid goes to sleep at 7pm and doesn't get up until about 9am. That will change when she has to go to day home at 7am... but still. So I get to play games in the evenings some nights, but the wife also likes to watch TV shows with me, so sometimes we do that.

But sleep. Yeah, I'm bad. I know my body needs at least 7 hours, but I don't always get it. Especially if I'm really into a particular game. Also, with sleep issues, I have to use a CPAP. If I don't, then my days are kind of terrible. If I use it (and manage to keep it on all night, which is a separate issue altogether), then I feel better during the day. So even if I get 7 hours, if I don't have the CPAP on, it's not enough sleep.

Spoiler:
Stanford sleep researcher William Dement said that after 50 years of studying sleep, the only really solid explanation he knows for why we do it is "because we get sleepy."
Old 03-26-14, 10:11 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Because I work nights,I find it very easy to game and get sufficient sleep. You can hate me now if you didn't already.
Old 03-26-14, 10:20 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by Brack
Because I work nights,I find it very easy to game and get sufficient sleep. You can hate me now if you didn't already.

if you want to hate someone....hate one of my Diablo 3 gaming buddies...Vballboy knows him too. He works as a 911 dispatcher. However where he lives he isn't very busy at all. He gets to play PC games pretty much his entire workshift only stopping when a call comes through. I am completely jealous, what a lucky son of a bitch

Alot of folks say to me....if you don't get enough sleep you will be grumpy the next day. I actually find myself MORE grumpy if I don't get my gaming time.
Old 03-26-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Generally, I get about 7 hours or so. Like most people here I don't get to game until the family is asleep.
Old 03-26-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Married, wife and I both work full-time, and 4 kids (8y, 6y, 4y, 2y) = very little time for anything really. Like others, I wait till the house is asleep, usually sometime after 1030p. When I do game, I generally get about 4-5 hours of sleep. On the weekends, I tend to get up early (5am, close to my weekday waking time) before the house is awake and sneak in 1-2 hours. I don't game during the day as there is too much going on to focus on it anyway.

Side note: one of these days the logical part of my brain will kick in and tell the compulsive side to stop buying games when on sale due to very little time to play and a huge backlog, but alas, that day hasn't come yet. Heck, I still buy long ass RPGs that I know I will never get around to play (Fallout 3, Dragon Age 2, Ni No Kuni, etc.).

Last edited by Gooter; 03-26-14 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
if you want to hate someone....hate one of my Diablo 3 gaming buddies...Vballboy knows him too. He works as a 911 dispatcher. However where he lives he isn't very busy at all. He gets to play PC games pretty much his entire workshift only stopping when a call comes through. I am completely jealous, what a lucky son of a bitch

Alot of folks say to me....if you don't get enough sleep you will be grumpy the next day. I actually find myself MORE grumpy if I don't get my gaming time.

'Hold on guys, I have a 911 call to take BRB!;
Old 03-26-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I get around 7 hours sleep these days. I currently live with my fiancee, no kids but have 2 dogs, and probably game 1 or 2 hours at night while the fiancee watches TV or does her own thing. It helps that I've worked at game companies, so i'll usually play games at work on my lunch break or at the end of the day as well.
Old 03-26-14, 11:39 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
'Hold on guys, I have a 911 call to take BRB!;

that is exactly what happens.
Old 03-26-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

My best time for gaming is usually Saturday & Sunday mornings, as the wife sleeps in and then has her own morning routine and I tend to still wake up by 6 at the latest and usually earlier. No kids, so typically 5 - 11 is me time, spent with coffee and games. Also Friday & Saturday nights, she usually goes to bed around 9 and I stay up until 11 or midnight, so a couple hours each of those. During the week, I don't get much in, as I usually sleep from 9 - 5 and spend the time I'm home with the her. Occasionally, I'll get really sucked into a game and either stay up later during the week to play, or (more frequently) play for an hour or so before heading in to the office in the morning.
Old 03-26-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually get into my gaming sessions around 9pm and play to 11 or midnight. Then get up around 6:30am for work. If nothing is going on during the weekend I'll get online during the day time. I try to get at least 6 hours of sleep.
Old 03-26-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I try to get 6 - 7 hrs of sleep in a night during the work week. Up at 5:30am, so I don't game much (if any) on weeknights. I have a 4yr old and a 1yr old. So after getting home from work, sometimes hitting up the gym, getting them fed, getting baths done, stories, dishes done, and misc household stuff, I pretty much gave up on gaming during the weekdays. I do however try to play Friday and Saturday nights and sometimes Sunday during the day. It's easier to start on Friday night once the kids are down and the wife can watch something and I can knock out a couple hours and the kids generally sleep a little longer on the weekends, which means I can sleep in a bit longer
Old 03-26-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am married, with a 4 year old and a 1 year old, and I work 1 full time and 1 part time job. My wife works mornings 5 days a week and I work evenings 6-7 days a week. I get around 6 hours of sleep a night. I recently joined a gym so that cuts down on my already brief alone time. If I boot up a game during the day while I watch our boys the older one comes hauling ass into the room. He still stop anything he is doing to watch me. I played a bit of Infamous: Second Son today and gave up because I couldn't hear the dialog. I really miss gaming like I once was able to.
Old 03-26-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm married, but no kids yet. We have a dog and a cat. I get 6-7 hours of sleep a night. I really only console game on the weekends. Since we have been married, I game 1-2 hours on portables at night while we watch TV together.
Old 03-26-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Married, wife and I both work full-time, and 4 kids (8y, 6y, 4y, 2y) = very little time for anything really. Like others, I wait till the house is asleep, usually sometime after 1030p. When I do game, I generally get about 4-5 hours of sleep. On the weekends, I tend to get up early (5am, close to my weekday waking time) before the house is awake and sneak in 1-2 hours. I don't game during the day as there is too much going on to focus on it anyway.

Side note: one of these days the logical part of my brain will kick in and tell the compulsive side to stop buying games when on sale due to very little time to play and a huge backlog, but alas, that day hasn't come yet. Heck, I still buy long ass RPGs that I know I will never get around to play (Fallout 3, Dragon Age 2, Ni No Kuni, etc.).
Except for getting up early on weekends (which I don't do), all of this sounds very much like me. I only have 3 kids though (2 4 yo's and a 3 yo), and my wife doesn't work. She goes to bed when the kids do though.
Old 03-26-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I'm 35. I try and get at least six hours of sleep a night but it depends on my son. I can function with two or three, as long as I am moving around and getting stuff done. Any more than seven or eight hours and my back starts to hurt.
Old 03-26-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gooter

You'll have time in 16 years when your youngest goes to college.
Old 03-26-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

married, 3 and 4 year old girls.....game after everyone else is asleep and all the household stuff is done. I usually get about 5 hours of sleep a night and its usually broken sleep being woken up for one reason or another (kid calling out....dog barks at nothing....cat sits on my face)
Old 03-26-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
r (kid calling out....dog barks at nothing....cat sits on my face)
Good god that sucks.
Old 03-26-14, 04:36 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I like when a pussy sits on my face, but to each their own.
Old 03-26-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Good god that sucks.
You get used to it...and when you have a full night's sleep that isn't broken its amazing! haha.
Old 03-26-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

This thread reads like one long warning to single guys
Old 03-26-14, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

I'm married, 35yrs old, FT job and not having kids so I have plenty of time to game. I generally sleep 5-6 hours a night.