Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015, Schwentke) S: Shailene Woodley, Theo James

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015, Schwentke) S: Shailene Woodley, Theo James

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 11:17 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Might as well get this started now.

Beatrice Prior must confront her inner demons and continue her fight against a powerful alliance which threatens to tear her society apart.

It's not like "Divergent" fans had any real reason to worry about their franchise getting a sequel, seeing as Veronica Roth's books are a trilogy and Lionsgate had a follow-up planned all along. But just in case anyone was uncertain, Lionsgate subsidiary Summit Entertainment has officially given "Insurgent" the green light.

Really, though, we had nothing to fret over. The Shailene Woodley-fronted dystopian flick opened to an impressive $4.9 million following Thursday night's screenings. While the movie is no longer poised to be more lucrative than the first "Twilight" installment, it's still generated an endless cycle of buzz in recent months and could accrue between $50 and $60 million this weekend.

“We're off to a great start with strong numbers from all regions of the country, urban, suburban and rural alike,” Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer said in a statement. ”We're confident that ‘Divergent' is on its way to becoming another important franchise for us, and we have just greenlit the second film, ‘Insurgent.'”

As previously announced, "Divergent" director Neil Burger won't return for the sequel, having turned down the offer for "practical reasons" concerning his shooting schedule. Instead, Robert Schwentke ("The Time Traveler's Wife," "R.I.P.D.") will take over. "Insurgent" is eyeing a March 2015 release, and Woodley and co-star Theo James are already on board to return.

If the movies stick to that schedule, the third installment, “Allegiant,” will arrive in March 2016.

Last edited by dex14; 03-24-14 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-24-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Insurgent (2015, Schwentke) S: Shailene Woodley, Theo James

I liked the first and am in for the second.
Old 06-04-14, 11:41 AM

Naomi Watts has signed on to join the next three films in Lionsgate's Divergent franchise.

The actress, who recently committed to star in Gus Van Sant's Sea of Trees opposite Matthew McConaughey, is joining the cast of Divergent sequel Insurgent as Evelyn, leader of the Factionless. Watts' deal calls for to co-star in the futuristic franchise's two final movies, which are based on Veronica Roth's YA novel Allegiant, the final book in the Divergent trilogy.

Watts will jump right to Insurgent, which began shooting last week in Atlanta. Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Ansel Elgort, Kate Winslet and Miles Teller -- who all appeared in Divergent -- return for the sequel. Watts joins Octavia Spencer as new additions to the cast. After Insurgent wraps in September, Watts will move on to Sea of Trees, which will take her through November. The in-demand actress is mulling a number of films after that.

Robert Schwentke, who replaced Divergent helmer Neil Burger, is directing Insurgent from a screenplay written by Brian Duffield and Akiva Goldsman.
Red Wagon's Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher are producing alongside Pouya Shahbazian.

Insurgent puts Watts, who typically gravitates toward indie projects with auteurs, in the YA tentpole game. Divergent, which opened March 21, has earned $267 million worldwide. Still, she is no stranger to commercial films, having starred in Peter Jackson's King Kong and The Ring films. Watts has three films awaiting release: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's Birdman, The Weinstein Co.'s St. Vincent -- opposite Melissa McCarthy -- and Noah Baumbach's While We're Young.
Old 10-29-14, 12:22 PM

Old 10-29-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015, Schwentke) S: Shailene Woodley, Theo James

I had to watch the first one for review and it was an abysmal piece of shit. There was no dialogue; it was just endless exposition and world-building. Kids really like this?
Old 10-29-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015, Schwentke) S: Shailene Woodley, Theo James

They say they do. I heard it was okay but haven't watched it yet, I did watch The Giver last week though for some reason and then saw Shailene Woodley naked in another movie. So I feel like I've seen this one already.
Old 11-12-14, 10:49 AM

I enjoyed this first... this looks super CGI heavy... not digging the teaser.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7Ql1T41Jw5U?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-12-14, 10:58 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

^^ jeebus. that looks like something direct-to-video

Old 11-12-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The first movie looked like a rip off of those insufferable Hunger Games movies, but with an ugly chick in the lead (how this girl made it to be a star is beyond me). That teaser trailer is laughable its so bad. Trying so hard to be gritty and dark and it comes off as a huge joke. Its presuming that everyone is up to speed on what happened in the first movie. I did not see it, and do not care to see it.

The lack of taste in the youth of today helps shit like this make big bank. Everytime i see a crap series of movies coming out based on a crap series of books that are catering to the tastes of the teeny ages, i want them to crash and burn. A few do, but not enough for my liking.
Old 11-12-14, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't know the previous one made enough money for a sequel. Looked wildly generic and boring to me.
Old 11-12-14, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I didn't know the previous one made enough money for a sequel. Looked wildly generic and boring to me.
There will be 2 more.
Old 11-12-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Haven't seen the first one yet, but I'm in! For a rental that is
Old 11-12-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Uh, that teaser…because obvious dream sequence?
Old 11-12-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
...but with an ugly chick in the lead (how this girl made it to be a star is beyond me).
I've never thought Shailene Woodley was terribly attractive but I thought she was smoking hot in Divergent

That short hair though...er, not a fan.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Kind of odd for the entire teaser to just be a segment of a dream/fantasy sequence.
Old 11-12-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Kind of odd for the entire teaser to just be a segment of a dream/fantasy sequence.

But that was part of the first movie. That test that they took was surreal like that. Makes sense...
Old 11-12-14, 05:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

i was surprised that i liked the first despite it's length. i'd be down...
Old 11-12-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I liked the 1st movie despite it being it being super long. Hell, I spent the extra money to see it in IMAX.

Shailene's hair being short can probably be attributed to her shooting Insurgent around the same time of The Fault of our Stars. Not a fan either of the super short hair cuts. I like long hair personally.
Old 12-12-14, 11:58 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/suZcGoRLXkU?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-12-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

For some reason, it looks like something that would have aired on Nickelodeon in the 90s.
Old 12-21-14, 09:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I have no legitimate reason to explain, but I enjoyed the hell out of the first movie. Watched it for the first time last night actually. Something about the absurdity of it all I guess. Entertaining throughout.

The trailer for the sequel looks like it picks up right where the first left off. For the record, I too was confused as to how Woodley got the lead role. As the movie progressed, I changed my mind and started warming up to her. Atypical look for a Hollywood leading woman these days, but I like it. Don't care for the short hair though.
Old 12-23-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

Why did they replace Shailene Woodley with a middle-aged lesbian?

Naomi Watts looked pretty hot with the long dark hair, though...
Old 12-23-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see Kate Gosselin getting work. She's got all those mouths to feed!
Old 03-19-15, 10:18 AM

Bump for the release this week. I'll probably see this Saturday morning.
Old 03-19-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

She definitely doesn't pull off the short hair very well.

I was surprised that I found the first movie watchable. My wife has read the books and said the second one is not very strong, but the third takes the series in a completely different direction.
Old 03-19-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
^^ jeebus. that looks like something direct-to-video

She is ugly as sin. Whats up with her one small eye and one large eye? I still cannot get over the fact that they gave the role of Mary Jane in the Amazing Spiderman 2 to her. Mary Jane in the comics is supposed to be a super hot chick, but instead they gave it to this ugly weirdo. But that was just one of many problems with that film/series.

Oh, and the first reviews of Insurgent have been giving me a really good laugh. Sounds as awful as i predicted. Will not be checking out any of these movies in the near future.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.