DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts
Amazon Collections SD DOTW 03/23/14-03/29/14: Cosmos: Carl Sagan $42.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=2921749011
Old 03-25-14, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Amazon Collections SD DOTW 03/23/14-03/29/14: Cosmos: Carl Sagan $42.99

I'd probably bite if it hit under $30. A lot of the information is dated and I can't imagine the PQ being all that great.
Old 03-26-14, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Coming up $104.99.
Old 03-26-14, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's funny is that in the New From and Used From it showed new from $42.99 and when you clicked there it showed available new from Amazon for $42.99 so I got it from there. If you go to the weekly deals and click on the Cosmos link from there it takes you to the higher price. Per CamelCamelCamel the lowest this has been was at $63 or so, so I'm in at $46.XX after tax, thanks
Old 03-26-14, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Intrigued yet? It’s amazing to me how well the series has aged. The science contained in these episodes is, by and large, still valid today. Only occasionally has something that’s being related onscreen been made obsolete by new discoveries. And thankfully, this series has been updated very cleverly in these situations. A special “science update” subtitle track is available as an option on these DVDs. If you turn it on, text will occasionally appear onscreen telling you that a new discovery or theory has arisen, and explain what it means for the information you’re seeing and hearing in the episode. For example, when this series was produced, it hadn’t yet been conclusively determined what ended the reign of the dinosaurs. In one of the episodes, Sagan refers to the possibility of a comet colliding with the Earth. If you have the update track on, you’ll see text that explains that recent discoveries have yielded fairly conclusive evidence that a large asteroid was the culprit. In addition to the “science update” subtitle track, a few of the episodes also have video updates as well. These appear at the end of the episodes in question, and were shot prior to Sagan’s death. They feature Sagan (or Druyan), who explains in more detail the latest discoveries and information relevant to the episode. Finally, from time to time, original video footage contained in the episode has been replaced with more compelling visuals – shots of stars and nebula have been updated using images taken by the Hubble Space Telescope, for example. The spirit of the original moment in the episode is always retained.

In terms of video, these episodes vary somewhat in quality. The new footage is obviously first-rate, but you have to remember that the series was originally produced using a documentary style combination of film, analog video and other sources. Despite that, however, the video has been digitally remastered and enhanced. It looks quite good overall. It’s a little edgy at times, the analog video looks a little soft and you’ll see some moderate grain from film sources. But color and contrast are generally fine. This is never going to serve as video reference material - it’s not meant to. In any case, while the video quality averages from awesome to adequate, the average is very good.