Chicago PD (NBC) -- Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chicago PD (NBC) -- Series Thread

Old 01-08-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Chicago PD -- Series Premiere -- "Stepping Stone" -- 1/08/14

Synopsis:

THE INTELLIGENCE UNIT INVESTIGATES A STRING OF MURDERS LINKED TO A COLUMBIAN DRUG GANG IN THE SERIES PREMIERE - In the series premiere, after a slew of brutal slayings, District 21, led by Sergeant Hank Voight (Jason Beghe) go after a Columbian drug cartel cleaning house in Chicago. They discover D'Anthony (guest star Isaac White) who proves to be an asset in the investigation. At District, complicated histories and unit rivalries surface which could end up costing them one of their own. Meanwhile, Rookie Kyle Ruzek (Patrick Flueger) is pulled from the police academy by Olinski (Elias Koteas) to join the team.

Jon Seda, Sophia Bush, Jesse Lee Soffer, LaRoyce Hawkins, Marina Squerciati and Archie Kao also star. Melissa Sagemiller, David Eigenberg, Monica Raymond and Robin Weingert guest star. TV-14 DLV

This is a spinoff of Chicago Fire. The lead character of this series, Hank Voight, is a dirty cop. He was introduced in a 5-6 episode arc on Chicago Fire last season. Basically to make a really long story short, his son committed DUI in an episode last season, which resulted in a man being paralyzed. The lead character of Chicago Fire, Matt Casey, knew he was drunk and was going to report him, but Voight wanted him to cover it up, which he refused to do so. Voight terrorized Casey for the arc and tried to have him murdered. Voight eventually went to prison.

Voight is sort of a Vic Mackey anti-hero.

This 2 1/2 minute preview gives background on Voight for those who haven't seen Chicago Fire:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LGX2XPRq4s0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trailer for the actual series:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HIat30zb-uY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by DJariya; 09-30-15 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Chicago PD -- Series Premiere -- "Stepping Stone" -- 1/08/14

I thought this was pretty good. I liked it better than Intelligence.

But, part of the reason for that was I being already familiar with most of these characters from Chicago Fire. Voight primarily, along with Antonio, as well as Adam. Decent supporting cast too with Elias Koteas, Patrick Flueger from The 4400 along with Archie from CSI. Hey, I guess no more Archie on CSI then.

I'm sure most here will overlook this or flat out ignore it because it's a "Cop" show, but I think it has more of an edge to it than your typical network cop show. Making Voight the lead was good in a way even though he's shady. Kind of a dark 1st episode too with the main baddie decapitating people.

Did not expect them to kill off the blonde detective in the 1st episode. That came as a surprise. No way she survives those injuries. Plus, she's not in the ^^^ above cast photo. Sophia Bush is the main female cop.

For those who do watch Chicago Fire, there was a continuity error. Antonio's sister Gabby is currently training to be a firefighter on Chicago Fire. However, in this episode, she was still an EMT.

I'm totally in for this one.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-09-14 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Kudos to them hiring Michael Slovis, who was the lead Cinematographer on Breaking Bad to direct the Pilot. He did great work on that show and did a good job here.

For those who watch Law and Order: SVU, there will be a future crossover episode with them as well as a few crossover episodes with Chicago Fire. It's Dick Wolf, what do you expect?

Last edited by DJariya; 01-09-14 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The continuity error was a little strange, considering they had to have known when this episode was going to air.
Old 01-09-14, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by anomynous
The continuity error was a little strange, considering they had to have known when this episode was going to air.
When they began shooting this series (around late Summer), it didn't have an airdate yet. This didn't get an official airdate until Ironside got cancelled. The Fire episode that aired this week was definitely shot well after this episode.

There is some potential for storylines not lining up.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-09-14 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't watch Chicago Fire, so I didn't realize it was a spinoff or know the back story. I thought it was okay but as soon as it started, I knew they were going to use the now-common plot device that
Spoiler:
one of the team would die in the first episode. I guessed wrong on which one it would be, but it has become routine on any new drama with an ensemble cast, so it wasn't shocking.

I'll probably watch again. It was much better than Intelligence.
Old 01-09-14, 10:18 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Was it Sophia bush?
Old 01-09-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Was it Sophia bush?
No she's a series regular.
Old 01-09-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

8.56M viewers and 2.0 in the demos last night. Good start. On par with what Chicago Fire normally does.
Old 01-11-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

too bad they didn't keep Tania Raymonde as the female patrol officer from the set up episodes chicago fire did
Old 01-15-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Chicago PD -- "Wrong Side of the Bars" -- 1/15/14

Synopsis:

ENTIRE UNIT FOCUSES TO FIND ANTONIO'S KIDNAPPED SON - Antonio's (Jon Seda) son was kidnapped and he has a feeling the Columbian drug gang is to blame. Pulpo (guest star Arturo Del Puerto), the Columbian gang leader, is being held in jail and suggests his release may trigger the release of Diego (guest star Zach Garcia). During the investigation, Halstead (Jesse Lee Soffer) learns some new information about Lindsay (Sophia Bush). Voight (Jason Beghe) offers Antonio a new approach to get information on Diego's whereabouts. Archie Kao, Elias Koteas, LaRoyce Hawkins, Marina Squerciati, and Patrick Flueger also star. America Olivo, Monica Raymund, Kurt Naebig, and Robert Wisdom guest star. TV-14 DLV
Old 01-16-14, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Chicago PD -- "Wrong Side of the Bars" -- 1/15/14

Really liking this so far. It's sort of Hill Street Blues meets The Shield. I hope they make it more of an ensemble show as it goes on. Loved Voight's showdown with the IA woman at the end.
Old 01-16-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Loved this episode. Very tense throughout. I agree that I hope they make it more of an ensemble show and not make it all about Voight. Although I think the show is working with him as the leader of this unit.

at Antonio finally giving in to Voight's darkside tactics and their "interrogation" of the suspect.

The bus scene with Erin and the perp with Antonio's son was really intense. Good move by Kyle to slam the bus. I guess Kyle girlfriend thinks he's a paper pusher.

I liked Voight's speech to the team during the funeral scene.

I also liked the last scene with Voight and the IA woman. It's cool that they are leaving that storyline open that he's still technically deep cover with them.
Old 01-16-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

If any of you haven't sampled this, please do so. Both episodes are on NBC.com and on demand. If you enjoyed a show like Southland & The Chicago Code, I think you'll dig this and you don't need to have seen Chicago Fire to watch this.
Old 01-16-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked both Southland (which I watched weekly) AND Chicago Code (which I marathoned after it finished). Chicago PD is on my record list. I watched the first episode and enjoyed it, yet I have the 2nd episode on my DVR and don't feel any particular rush to watch it. There really is a difference between enjoyable and compelling. It's early, though. I'll definitely keep recording, but it remains to be seen if I'll find it's a show where I'm anxious to see the next episode.
Old 01-16-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Tried to record this yesterday, but the 9:01 end time (damn I hate that practice!) screwed up my dvr and it didn't record.
Old 01-16-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

2 eps in and i am already tired of the woman handing out car keys.
Old 01-17-14, 09:36 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If any of you haven't sampled this, please do so. Both episodes are on NBC.com and on demand. If you enjoyed a show like Southland & The Chicago Code, I think you'll dig this and you don't need to have seen Chicago Fire to watch this.
By those accounts, I should definitely be watching this show then. Primary reason I didn't tune in is because I don't watch Fire.
Old 01-17-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Geofferson
By those accounts, I should definitely be watching this show then. Primary reason I didn't tune in is because I don't watch Fire.

FYI,

Saturday they are re-airing episodes 1 and 2 together as a 2-hour movie on NBC at 8pm.
Old 01-17-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
2 eps in and i am already tired of the woman handing out car keys.
Yep.

It took me forever to remember the rookie was the kid from 4400.

I will give it a couple of months, which is what I gave to Chicago Fire.
Old 01-17-14, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
Yep.

It took me forever to remember the rookie was the kid from 4400.
It was bugging me a little trying to figure out where I saw him before. Thanks!
Old 01-17-14, 06:37 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
FYI,

Saturday they are re-airing episodes 1 and 2 together as a 2-hour movie on NBC at 8pm.
Perfect. Thanks for the info
Old 01-22-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Chicago PD -- "Chin Check" -- 1/22/14

Synopsis:

Voight (Jason Beghe) and team head to a house that's been associated with a number of top gangs. Events at the search result in Ruzek (Patrick Flueger), being encouraged to seek some counseling which may have lasting repercussions professionally and personally. Meanwhile Halstead's (Jesse Lee Soffer) temper rises when he comes in contact with some unwelcomed people from his past. Jon Seda, Sophia Bush, Elias Koteas, LaRoyce Hawkins, Marina Squerciati, and Archie Kao also star. Robin Weingert, America Olivo, Amy Morton and Josh Segarra guest star. TV-14 LV
Old 01-24-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Chicago PD -- "Chin Check" -- 1/22/14

oh no more hollywood teflon coated bullets
the black tip is paint not teflon
and any normal rifle round will rip through the soft armor normal cops wear

at least they got the M995 designation for armor piercing 5.56mm correct

Last edited by mikehunt; 01-24-14 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Chicago PD -- "Chin Check" -- 1/22/14

If any of you watched this episode without having seen Tuesdays Chicago Fire episode, you would have been totally lost on the Kelly Severide missing sister subplot.

at tiny Sophia Bush with the big ass machine gun during the Warehouse assault. That was awesome.

Funny how Voight stole that money from his IA dirty work to help that kid.

Next weeks episode looks intense.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-24-14 at 08:55 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.