Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How I Met Your Mother - "Gary Blauman" - 3/17/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 07:10 AM

Received 4,636 Likes on 3,138 Posts
How I Met Your Mother - "Gary Blauman" - 3/17/14

THE GANG IS IN AN UPROAR WHEN GARY BLAUMAN SHOWS UP MINUTES BEFORE THE WEDDING IS ABOUT TO BEGIN, ON THE FINAL SEASON OF "HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER," MONDAY, MARCH 17

Wayne Brady Returns as Barney's Brother James and Taran Killam Guest Stars as Gary Blauman

"Gary Blauman" - When Gary Blauman shows up at the wedding, it sends the gang into a frenzy as they each recall an encounter with him, on the final season of HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, Monday, March 17 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Wayne Brady returns as Barney's brother James and Taran Killam guest stars as Gary Blauman.
Old 03-17-14, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother - "Gary Blauman" - 3/17/14

I like Killam FWIW, but revolving one of the final episodes about a bit character who just happens to played by an actor married to one of the main cast.

Wait, didn't he quit Barney's bank (couldn't pee on the board room table) and die?
Old 03-17-14, 12:04 PM

Yeah, Barney said he died at the end of that story. I'm sure they'll come up with a really fun and creative way to explain that.
Old 03-18-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,271 Likes on 4,289 Posts

Weird framing device -- story narration within another narration. And the whole interaction between Ted and Mother was stilted and awkward, though I guess that's the point of the first date thing. Still how magical could that meeting be if they're like this three days later?
Old 03-18-14, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Um. That wrap up for a lot of the secondary and recurring characters was akward, extremely akward. It was just so unnecessary and like this show's "narrative in a narrative," felt like filler within a filler episode.

There literally was no plot momentum whatsoever in this one and with...

Spoiler:

Ted saying he wants to remember this moment forever coupled with the friends come and go speech

just hammers the the nail into the coffin that the show will end on a downbeat.
Old 03-18-14, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=emachine12;12047918]Um. That wrap up for a lot of the secondary and recurring characters was akward, extremely akward. It was just so unnecessary and like this show's "narrative in a narrative," felt like filler within a filler episode.
QUOTE]

That "where are they now" sequence literally had me saying "WTF" out loud. How many episodes was Hurley even in? I literally have zero remembrance of what his character was whatsoever. Or Skip or whatever the cafeteria workers name is, he just showed up in the one with the "on the hook" premise, right? Did Ted even meet him in that episode? Any why would Ted have ANY contact/knowledge of what happened to Skip down the road. I'd rather they do something like show Marshal's mom remarry, what happened with Teds mom and the hippy who's named I can't remember, or any characters we'd actually seen more than once.

But Kumar married the crazy chick! That's gold, baby, gold!

*sigh*
Old 03-18-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Adboy151
I like Killam FWIW, but revolving one of the final episodes about a bit character who just happens to played by an actor married to one of the main cast.
The episode had the real life hubbys of both Robin and Lilly. x 2?
Old 03-18-14, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
The episode had the real life hubbys of both Robin and Lilly. x 2?
And Barney.
Old 03-18-14, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Adken
That "where are they now" sequence literally had me saying "WTF" out loud. How many episodes was Hurley even in? I literally have zero remembrance of what his character was whatsoever. Or Skip or whatever the cafeteria workers name is, he just showed up in the one with the "on the hook" premise, right? Did Ted even meet him in that episode? Any why would Ted have ANY contact/knowledge of what happened to Skip down the road. I'd rather they do something like show Marshal's mom remarry, what happened with Teds mom and the hippy who's named I can't remember, or any characters we'd actually seen more than once.
I kind of liked the episode. It was probably overly sentimental and only had a few laughs but I'm OK with that. I kind of expected one episode like this.

Scooter's been a reoccurring character for the whole series. He might only have been present in half a dozen episode but he's mentioned enough in other episodes. Plus we got to see stripper Lily. I was hoping to see the slutty pumpkin.
Old 03-18-14, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That was painful. The decline of the 2nd half of this season continues. I hope they finish strong though.
Old 03-18-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually stay off the hate wagon but man this episode sucked. Seriously? There are three episodes left and this is what they come up with? It's not just that it was a complete filler episode but that it was so poorly written. It starts out that he is telling the story to "the mother" on their first date (Why? How did this story relate to anything going on in the date) then it switches to him telling it to the kids?

And how is it she had a boyfriend less than a week ago? Did she break up with him just before the wedding or after? Why didn't that come up in all her band nonsense? Why is it even important?
Old 03-18-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree to disagree, this was a classic HIMYM episode, with all the sentimentalist stuff at the end. HIMYM is not a dramedy, it's a comedy that sometimes has some drama, and they really work.

The end worked for me, because I can identify, anyone can, I guess. You have friends, and then time pass , you lost contact for whatever reason, and then you haven't see them in years.

Based in all the complains this season, I'm 100% sure that some people will hate the finale.

And oh yeah, I loved the interaction between Ted and the mother. They should have a show, or movie, together. Their chemistry is great.
Old 03-18-14, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I usually stay off the hate wagon but man this episode sucked. Seriously? There are three episodes left and this is what they come up with? It's not just that it was a complete filler episode but that it was so poorly written. It starts out that he is telling the story to "the mother" on their first date (Why? How did this story relate to anything going on in the date) then it switches to him telling it to the kids?

And how is it she had a boyfriend less than a week ago? Did she break up with him just before the wedding or after? Why didn't that come up in all her band nonsense? Why is it even important?
They already showed this. She breaks up with him at his Hampton house when he asks her to marry him. This takes place during the wedding weekend. After that, she goes to the hotel.

I didn't care for them showing us so soon after they met. I didn't mind the flashforwards years into the future, but 3 days after meeting... takes away from the actual meeting.
Old 03-18-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whatever will you people bitch about when this show ends in a few weeks!?
Old 03-18-14, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar
I normally love the show, I do. It's just for the first time I thought the episode really sucked.
Old 03-18-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree that the reasoning for telling the story didn't make sense but the moral of the story did. He was saying that if you find someone in your life worth keeping around, you'll find a way to keep them around.

Made sense in the framework of the episode because the Mother was close to ending things with Ted, citing that she wasn't ready to date after breaking off the engagement.

I think the idea they're going for, overall, is that it doesn't matter when all the past relationship stuff happened. Once you find "the one", it'll work itself out. Which is why Ted can "let go" of Robin the day before meeting the Mother and still have it work.
Old 03-18-14, 09:40 AM

I was OK with the Saget voice-over and the where-did-they-end-up montage; as someone else said, that's a staple of the show -- Scooter and Stripper Lily seemed like an apt ending for him and Robin still killing Patrice in the future for no reason still escapes me.

But the Gary Blauman stuff and how that weaved into the first date, really poor.
Old 03-18-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I normally love the show, I do. It's just for the first time I thought the episode really sucked.
I'm just being an ass, but I've never understood why people continue to watch a show that they obviously don't enjoy. I must be the exception to the rule, but when a show stops being entertaining, I stop watching it. And don't tell me "I have so much invested in it!" I stopped watching X-Files after the first eight seasons, The Simpsons after the first 22 seasons, and ER after the first 11 seasons.
Old 03-18-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I cracked up pretty hard on the accidental curly fry. That shit is so true. The accidental curly is gold since its not suppose to be there.
Old 03-18-14, 10:34 AM

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

She broke up with him the night before Robin's wedding. It was part of the mother-centric episode. He was her first boyfriend after her fiancé died like 8 years ago. Ted's like her third adult boyfriend.
Old 03-18-14, 10:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I cracked up pretty hard on the accidental curly fry. That shit is so true. The accidental curly is gold since its not suppose to be there.
Agreed. That part had me .
I don't remember half of the people they showed at the end. I barely remember Gary Blauman.
Otherwise, I thought the episode was good.
Old 03-18-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 954 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I prefer the accidental onion ring.
Old 03-18-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kdogg
She broke up with him the night before Robin's wedding. It was part of the mother-centric episode. He was her first boyfriend after her fiancé died like 8 years ago. Ted's like her third adult boyfriend.
I do remember that now. That may invalidate a small part of my complaints with this episode but I still think it was very bad. Maybe I'm seeing it in such a bad light because they are pimping "the end of a series" so hard I just expect more.
Old 03-18-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar
Have you been in the "SNL" and "Big Bang Theory" threads?
Old 03-18-14, 11:58 AM

Maybe I'm seeing it in such a bad light because they are pimping "the end of a series" so hard I just expect more.
No, I think this is valid.

Having an end in sight they could have done more than trapped-at-wedding scenarios, juggling Jason Segal's participation and guest stars as their A-plots. There's been real chemistry between Ted and the Mom. Retread some B-polts with those two and the show has life -- or echoes of its former self.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.