TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Vice -- Weekly and Daily News Magazine Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Vice -- Weekly and Daily News Magazine Series

Tonight's episode:

The U.S. has spent nearly $100 billion on reconstruction projects in Afghanistan, the most spent on any country in history. But John Sopko, special inspector general for Afghanistan reconstruction, has found that much of that money has been wasted and misused, and has even fallen into the hands of the Taliban. Shane Smith heads to Afghanistan for a tour of American taxpayer dollars gone down the drain.

Rio de Janeiro is working hard to remedy its reputation as a drug and murder capital in time for the upcoming World Cup and Olympics. The Special Police Operations Battalion (BOPE) has been charged with pacifying the slums (favelas), but BOPE's military occupation of increasing numbers of favelas has been criticized as heavy-handed. Some corrupt members of the BOPE, together with ex-police, have formed militia gangs of their own and are controlling many favelas by sinister means, openly extorting, torturing, killing and making criminals disappear. Still, there are hundreds of favelas, untouched by pacification, that remain under the control of drug gangs who act with complete impunity. Ben Anderson looks behind the picturesque facade of Rio's marketing campaign to reveal the dark underbelly of the city.

Does anyone here watch this show? It's a 30 minute news magazine show like 60 minutes, but with more edgier stories. Season 2 premieres tonight. I watched the entire 1st season last year and thought this show was really compelling. They tackled some really interesting topics. One of the topics that was talked about last season was Dennis Rodman and the Globetrotters going to North Korea. And another cool topic was cigarette smoking in Southeast Asia by children.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to season 2. I don't know if this is the kind of show that is message board discussion friendly, but if anyone wants to talk about it, great.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-26-15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-14-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re: Vice -- Weekly and Daily News Magazine Series

Yep, I like this show, too. Didn't see all episodes of season 1, but ones that I did see (kid suicide bombers, North Korea, Chicago violence, smoking in Indonesia) all really stood out to me and were memorable.
Old 03-15-14, 10:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I watch it as well. The most dangerous border episode from season 1 was a standout for me. I'm in for another season.

A joke (though not surprising) as to what's going on in Afghanistan right now (per last night's episode).

Last edited by Geofferson; 03-15-14 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Did anyone here watch the season premiere yet?

2 really interesting stories to start off the season.

The first story about the U.S.'s wasteful spending in Afghanistan was unbelievable.

at the Power plant and then the Russian helicopters just sitting there.

at the junkyard with all the U.S. parts and that guy was actually trying to pass that off as a legitimate business.

Can't believe that almost $100 billion was wasted there. It's pretty sickening. Plus, it's such a corrupt country. The Taliban is still running things.

I really liked the second story as well about how they are trying to clean up a poverty and crime stricken Rio de Janeiro for the World Cup and Olympics.

Vice does a really good job with these stories. Too bad it's only a 30 minute show. If you guys have HBO or have access to HBO Go, I highly encourage you all to check this show out.
Old 03-17-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

You can watch the entire first season and the first episode of this season on youtube right now for a limited time.
Old 03-22-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

This is the best show on TV that no one seems to be talking about.
Old 03-23-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

The episode that aired Friday night had some interesting topics to think about.

The glaciers melting in Greenland brought up some potentially scary shit for the future if the ice keeps melting. They said that of all of Greenland's ice melts, a bunch of world cities will be under water.

The 2nd story about the Pakistani child slaves was really heart breaking. Sad to see the update that a couple of the girls got kidnapped after the episode aired.
Old 03-23-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic show. I really wish it was a weekly show throughout the year instead of just 10 episode seasons.
Old 03-23-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
Fantastic show. I really wish it was a weekly show throughout the year instead of just 10 episode seasons.
Definitely. It blows bullshit like Dateline and 20/20 out of the water.

I also wish it was an hour long. And you aren't human if the Greenland story didn't scare the shit out of you. It may be a really rough next 100 years.
Old 03-23-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I remember the episode from season 1 with the Indian/Pakistani border along Kashmir.

I wonder if they will do those segments on HBO on demand where the reporters talk with Bill Maher about the stories they covered.
Old 03-23-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love this show...very impressed at the guts of these journalists going to the ends of the earth to report these stories. Very sobering, scary but eye-opening features that sometimes make me realize I really don't want to have a long life to see this world go to shit.
Old 05-07-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/hbo-...edium=facebook

Vice was renewed for 2 seasons today

Great news. I hate that this show is only 30 minutes and they only film 10 episodes per year. (edit: this year is now 12) News happens all the time and this could easily be a year round show.

At least next season is 14 episodes now.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-07-14 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome! And I agree with you. The 30 minutes is too short. They need to rxpand it to at least an hour a week.
Old 05-07-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great news. I love this show. I disagree about expanding the show. I think you'd water down the quality with filler stories.
Old 05-07-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Vice has plenty of old content they could show on HBO. The Vice Guide to Liberia documentary still gives me nightmares.
Old 05-07-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Is this the Same Vice that's on Youtube? I love that channel.
Old 05-07-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mhg83
Is this the Same Vice that's on Youtube? I love that channel.
Do you have HBO? This airs every Friday night. Yes, it's the same people involved with that Youtube channel. The premiered last Spring and currently the 2nd season.
Old 05-07-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
Love this show...very impressed at the guts of these journalists going to the ends of the earth to report these stories. Very sobering, scary but eye-opening features that sometimes make me realize I really don't want to have a long life to see this world go to shit.
I agree. I found out about this show from Youtube. I've seen the episodes about General Butt Naked, the Mormon war against the cartels, North Korea, and the Syrian conflict. They seem pretty objective and I like their coverage of certain stories and issues.
Old 05-07-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Objectivity is a matter of degree but they're intelligent and they try, which is good enough for me. I don't require perfection. I have a hard time keeping up with the show so having more would just make it even more difficult for me to keep up. I haven't seen any of the shows this season, but I've been saving them. I don't feel any real need to watch them right away. They're more for when I had a quiet moment and want to educate myself.

The renewal is great news. I want this show on TV.

As an aside, I don't know where I heard it, but back in the day there used to be a saying about newspaper articles that went something like this: "Everything I read is true except that which I have personal knowledge of." It had to do with how people read newspaper articles (back when newspapers were big and there was no internet) and pretty much believed what they read. But if they had some direct knowledge of the story, they often found the newspaper articles woefully inaccurate. I saw that play out many times with stories I had personal knowledge of. There have been a few Vice episodes where I have some personal knowledge of the topic and I'd have to say Vice hasn't really assaulted that knowledge. That's good enough for me to assign some degree of credibility to what they're reporting when I don't have personal knowledge of the topic at hand.
Old 05-08-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah this show is consistently incredible. I've been watching the Vice docs for years and I have huge respect for these guys who report on some of the darkest shit on Earth. It's the only "news" worth watching on TV these days.

The season 2 segment on Kurdistan was incredibly interesting, and I am ashamed to say I didn't know much about the Kurds but I am now hugely sympathetic. Seems like one of the few beacons in a very dark part of the world.
Old 05-17-14, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Good episode tonight.

Loved the update about the BP Oil spill and all the fallout. Didn't realize the chemicals that BP was using to help clean up the mess was actually making things worse. Some of the pictures they showed of kids with rashes and boils was shocking. And then to top it off, pretty much all the fish in that area is contaminated.

The story about Yemen wasn't really that surprising.
Old 05-17-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.lifescript.com/diet-fitne...fe_to_eat.aspx

This story is a perfect example of something that both enrages me and yet is so big that I (unfortunately) prefer to almost ignore it rather than engage it and live in the rage.

I have friends and family down in the area. But even closer to home, I eat seafood sourced from the area. Or at least I kind of do. I'm never quite sure whether what appears in my grocery is OK or if they're way too busy to really keep track of what's going on, and don't want to completely destroy (more than already) the fisheries economy of the area. Is this time for caveat emptor? Better safe than sorry. I've definitely cut down on my seafood intake.

Kudos to Vice for taking on another story that matters.
Old 03-26-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

The new season just started a few weeks ago. Some good episodes have aired so far. The 1st episode was about cancer research and it was pretty interesting. The next episode was an update about the Glaciers melting episode from last season. Some crazy and scary shit.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/hbo-vice...st-1201399154/

Good news. This is a crazy new deal that HBO signed with Vice.

Renewed through 2018

Episode order increased to 35 episodes per season

HBO will produce a daily Vice newscast for 48 weeks per year (5 shows per week)

Vice will be available on HBO Now

There will also be 32 Vice-produced specials throughout the year

If you've never seen Vice, it airs Fridays at 11pm. Very solid news magazine show. It's a much edgier version of 60 Minutes.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-26-15 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 01:00 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

So HBO should now be considered another cable news outlet w/the 5 times/weekly Vice newscast? Coupled with the expansion of the current show, that seems like a lot.
Old 03-26-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's a lot of content per year. I hope they don't fill it with garbage like they do on their website.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.