Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Devil's Knot (2014, Egoyan) S: Witherspoon, Firth --- West Memphis Three

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 03:33 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I'm almost positive there was an existing thread on this already, but I can not find it. If someone finds it, I'll merge.

Devil's Knot is a 2013 biographical crime-drama thriller film directed by Atom Egoyan. The film is based on a true story as told in Mara Leveritt's 2002 book of the same name, concerning three teenagers known as the West Memphis Three, who were convicted for killing three young boys and subsequently sentenced to life in prison. The movie was produced by Paul Harris Boardman, Elizabeth Fowler, Clark Peterson, Richard Saperstein and Christopher Woodrow, and stars Reese Witherspoon, Kevin Durand, Stephen Moyer, Colin Firth, Elias Koteas and Bruce Greenwood. It will be released in U.S. theaters and Video on demand services on May 9, 2014
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GzwfyASKPWU?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-10-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts
Re: Devil's Knot (2014, Egoyan) S: Witherspoon, Firth --- West Memphis Three

Last year I watched the three "Paradise Lost" documentaries about this story. Very interesting, and awful to consider how horrible the whole thing is, and what a mess the trial was. Peter Jackson produced another documentary about it, but I haven't seen it yet.

I'll definitely check this out.
Old 03-10-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

West of Memphis was actually pretty good. It was like taking all 3 docs and adding some footage not seen from those. I'll definitely give this a watch although we all know what Hollywood can do to even the most factual stories.
Old 05-31-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be available on Netflix on June 3rd.
Old 05-31-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Watched this tonight... it was more miss than hit.

The documentaries tell us so much more. This was essentially just a scratch-the-surface film whose main intention was to be melodramatic. Pretty paint by numbers.

I miss the old Atom Egoyan. His attempts at do something more mainstream always falls flat.
Old 06-02-14, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I miss the old Atom Egoyan. His attempts at do something more mainstream always falls flat.
I heard his new film The Captive has gotten bad reviews at Cannes. Hard to believe that this is the same guy who made The Sweet Hereafter and Felicia's Journey.
Old 06-02-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I heard his new film The Captive has gotten bad reviews at Cannes. Hard to believe that this is the same guy who made The Sweet Hereafter and Felicia's Journey.
... and Exotica. Yea, it seems whenever he tries to do something more mainstream and include bigger name actors, it winds up being a mess (ie. Where The Truth Lies, Chloe, Devils Knot and now The Captive). Even if his later non-mainstream films aren't as good as his earlier works - they're still decent enough (ie. Ararat and Adoration).
Old 06-03-14, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

After seeing Exotica and Sweet Hereafter in the 90s, I thought this guy was going to be one of my favorite directors.

How times have changed. He's certainly capable of making excellent films, but it's been a while since he has.
Old 06-04-14, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Watched this tonight... it was more miss than hit.

The documentaries tell us so much more. This was essentially just a scratch-the-surface film whose main intention was to be melodramatic. Pretty paint by numbers.

I watched it last night and I felt the same way you did. The HBO documentaries and West of Memphis were much better.