Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race: All-Stars -- "Welcome to the Jungle" -- 3/09/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Amazing Race: All-Stars -- "Welcome to the Jungle" -- 3/09/14

The race continues in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, where teams race down rapids in the jungle on homemade rafts.

Episode 3 of 12
Old 03-09-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race: All-Stars -- "Welcome to the Jungle" -- 3/09/14

Good....I still don't know what a YouTube 'host' is, and hopefully I will never need to know.

So I wonder with the backpack snafu last time, what happened with their backpacks when they rafted down the river since they obviously didn't have them? Do they walk back for them or is it arranged for a taxi to meet them at a designated point down the river with their backpacks?
Old 03-09-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I feel like Huck Finn in Oliver Twist!"

Good episode. While her fiancee still seems like a goofball, I'm starting to like Jessica. And looking at the previews for next week, I don't think my feelings about Luke are going to change much.
Old 03-09-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This was a fun episode. I don't know why more didn't chose the hunt.

Rachel has really grown; she didn't completely freak out and her team is actually being nice to each other and the other racers. Of the racers still in the game...

LIKE... Cord & Jet, Dave & Connor, Brendon & Rachel, Flight Time & Big Easy
MEH... John & Jessica, The Country Girls, Leo & Jamal
DISLIKE...Luke, hope he leaves next week... I feel bad for his mom... I don't know why they keep bringing him back...
Old 03-09-14, 11:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Didn't realize that Jennifer was the granddaughter of John Wayne.
Old 03-10-14, 03:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was in the middle of commenting that Leo & Jamal seemed to be making a concerted effort to be nicer this season when they more of less confirmed that (when they explained why they were helping the cowboys).

Before, their edits made them look as though they took great delight in annoying the other teams & crossing them up. It partially just seemed like over-enthusisam at times, but the constant talking about Afghanimals, yelling "Yi yi yi" at every opportunity, and general mischief created got on my nerves. In their favor, one never got the idea that they'd mind the other teams doing the same. But somebody must have told them that they came off looking like jerks at times. This season, I actually like them (and they always have been enthusiastic toward the native hosts, although it could border on being disrespectful. This season they are one of the teams who always give the clue-givers hugs, etc.).

It's early, but at least most of the teams seem to get along okay with each other (a little animosity toward country girls for getting the Express Pass). Better yet, there doesn't seem to be much intra-team bickering yet, and not much whininess. I'm not missing those things at all.

But why would someone who's run the race before wear sequined shorts that she had to remove to do a detour just in her panties? Especially when it involves climbing down rocks in a waterfall? Why not wear cargo shorts or something that protect your legs & have pockets (like her husband)?

Yeah, the teaser for next week make Luke look pretty bad when he gets frustrated.
Old 03-10-14, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Most dangerous detour. Ever? At least I can't recall one that had that high potential for injury.
Old 03-10-14, 08:56 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
But why would someone who's run the race before wear sequined shorts that she had to remove to do a detour just in her panties?
But it's okay to wear those sequined shorts on a makeshift bamboo raft in river rapids.
Old 03-10-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Yeah, the teaser for next week make Luke look pretty bad when he gets frustrated.
He seems to have had a hissy fit once per season. I can't believe the way his Mom was talking to him in the promo, you don't scold your full grown child.
Old 03-10-14, 08:58 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Was happy to see the YouTube hosts go.. Really? that's a job? :headshake:

And yeah, I feel a little sorry for Margery.. Luke is kind of a dick when things don't go his way and she has to calm him down and make him focus. But she also contributes to the issues as well it seems. They both get frustrated with each other and don't communicate well.
Old 03-10-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

That detour was pretty crazy.

And I never understood why Team Youtube was considered an "All-Star". I mean, I'm not saying all the other teams are top notch, but Team Youtube wasn't memorable in their previous season.
Old 03-10-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Really like Dave and Connor. Glad they are doing well and hope they keep it up. The Cowboys are also doing really well.

Leo and Jamal actually made me laugh a lot this episode. I've grown to like them a little more. Flight time and Big Easy made me when they started partying with the tribe.

Stupid Youtube hosts Should have used some common sense that they were far away from the city that taxis probably weren't abundant that far away.
Old 03-10-14, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
Was happy to see the YouTube hosts go.. Really? that's a job? :headshake:
How does one become a YouTube host? Like this: "I am a YouTube host." Done. Put it on the resume.

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
And yeah, I feel a little sorry for Margery.. Luke is kind of a dick when things don't go his way and she has to calm him down and make him focus. But she also contributes to the issues as well it seems. They both get frustrated with each other and don't communicate well.
Since to my knowledge Luke is only hearing and not mentally challenged I can only attribute his behavior to him being a self-entitled drama queen and his mom probably had a lot to do with him becoming that way. Deaf children can overcome their impediment and grow up to do most anything...unless of course they grow into a douchebag man-child first.
Old 03-10-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luke meltdowns are like Mirna and Flo meltdowns. They are to be savored, like a fine wine.
Old 03-11-14, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
How does one become a YouTube host? Like this: "I am a YouTube host." Done. Put it on the resume.

Since to my knowledge Luke is only hearing and not mentally challenged I can only attribute his behavior to him being a self-entitled drama queen and his mom probably had a lot to do with him becoming that way. Deaf children can overcome their impediment and grow up to do most anything...unless of course they grow into a douchebag man-child first.
You can only really just laugh when people make these slogan based, pop psychology instructional pronouncements based on an obvious zero knowledge in the field of disability. A complete lack of understanding of deafness and an even less about empowerment, strength based practice and the like. You just have to be amused by such ignorance.
Old 03-11-14, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Margie?
Old 03-11-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-12-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
"I feel like Huck Finn in Oliver Twist!"
I heard the line as "This is fun. We're like Huck Finn and... Oliver Twist!" but either way

"Don't have THE clue or don't have A clue?" "I don't have either."
Old 03-12-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shocked that Dave & Conner got first. I must have missed something since it seemed to show them having to carry all the food back after they missed to stop to checking in. I was convinced they were going to get a penalty. Did it show them doing the dartgun challenge?
Old 03-12-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Watched the previews for next week and there is more Luke fun to come.
Old 03-12-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieking
Shocked that Dave & Conner got first. I must have missed something since it seemed to show them having to carry all the food back after they missed to stop to checking in. I was convinced they were going to get a penalty. Did it show them doing the dartgun challenge?
No, they completed delivery of their goods, even if they bypassed their sandbar. I didn't understand why they wanted to walk all that way back (not knowing how far that would be) if they had reached the blowgun challenge. It's not as if teams get penalized for switching detours mid-way thru.
Old 03-12-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Didn't realize that Jennifer was the granddaughter of John Wayne.
This was briefly mentioned in their introductions during their initial appearance.
Old 03-13-14, 07:59 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by movieking
I thought they were going to get a penalty too as they didn't use the raft to get to the spot to deliver the food. But I guess they got there through other means and delivered the food which was the requirement. I guess them walking for an unknown distance was a form of punishment as they could have easily come in behind other teams if the walk was longer than it was.