Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you OCD about your DVR?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Are you OCD about your DVR?
Yes
43.59%
No
28.21%
What are you high?
28.21%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 04:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

so i think the bane of my existence is DVR. let me rephrase that, DVR is the best thing since sliced bread...

however, i don't have the time i once did to watch shows i used to enjoy. thus, i DVR them. Homeland, The Walking Dead, Almost Human, AHS: Coven, among a couple others. the comedies i usually watch bc that is what i enjoy before bed, during the week. i need the levity.

so i tape the dramas and just don't get around to watching them. i don't watch much during the day on weekends and like a movie at night. so it sits and sits in DVR and festers. i don't even record movies anymore bc i know i won't watch those either, but it was nice to have them all...

but as they lay in wait, it festers within me that my DVR is getting full. i have Optimum with a capable size (i think) and record only HD shows and movies, never SD.

anyway, long story short my OCD kicks in and i need that sucker empty. i figured with an entire season of some shows there was just no way i was going to get to them. so i deleted some of my favorite shows thinking "oh, i can just stream later on down the line or On Demand for some.

so delete went Homeland, Coven, Almost Human, Person of Interest and kept were Justified, Walking Dead and True Detective.

it just feels like somewhat of a relief to only have 30% full for some reason. but would love it to be almost nil.

so anyone else get like this?
Old 03-03-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
Re: Are you OCD about your DVR?

Guess the answer would have to be yes for me. Have everything on there sorted by genre, which makes it easy when it comes to participating in some of the challenges here. Most everything I have are films recorded during preview weekends of premium channels. The few television shows I record are usually watched within a day or two.

I'm currently driven to clear off the DVR with the thought of "cutting the cord" by the beginning of summer. For a good while, it was 90% full. Now it sits at about 50%.
Old 03-03-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I don't record enough stuff for mine to get anywhere near full, but as crazy as it sounds when I am at my buddies' place, theirs is always like 97% full and it drives me crazy for some reason.
Old 03-03-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so i think the bane of my existence is DVR. let me rephrase that, DVR is the best thing since sliced bread...

however, i don't have the time i once did to watch shows i used to enjoy. thus, i DVR them. Homeland, The Walking Dead, Almost Human, AHS: Coven, among a couple others. the comedies i usually watch bc that is what i enjoy before bed, during the week. i need the levity.

so i tape the dramas and just don't get around to watching them. i don't watch much during the day on weekends and like a movie at night. so it sits and sits in DVR and festers. i don't even record movies anymore bc i know i won't watch those either, but it was nice to have them all...

but as they lay in wait, it festers within me that my DVR is getting full. i have Optimum with a capable size (i think) and record only HD shows and movies, never SD.

anyway, long story short my OCD kicks in and i need that sucker empty. i figured with an entire season of some shows there was just no way i was going to get to them. so i deleted some of my favorite shows thinking "oh, i can just stream later on down the line or On Demand for some.

so delete went Homeland, Coven, Almost Human, Person of Interest and kept were Justified, Walking Dead and True Detective.

it just feels like somewhat of a relief to only have 30% full for some reason.

so anyone else get like this?
I'm not sure what your point is with this OCD thing? Are you afraid if you have too much, your DVR will break down and everything will be lost?

You really forgot to take into consideration that a lot of shows aren't available on demand for full seasons or available online for free streaming. Some only post the last 4-5 episodes.

Person of Interest is the prime example. Warner Brothers only posts the last 4 episodes for on demand or free streaming. Same goes with Almost Human.

Unless you plan to purchase every single TV season BD for seasons you deleted. But then again, if you didn't have the time to watch them now, what makes you think you'll have the time to watch them this summer? or 6 months from now?
Old 03-03-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Most definitely. I'm always checking my To Do list to make sure everything is right. And I really try to keep up with my recordings. I've got a ton of movies and other junk in it that I never want to delete, so I'm constantly sitting on 20% left so I have to keep up with it.
Old 03-03-14, 04:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm not sure what your point is with this OCD thing? Are you afraid if you have too much, your DVR will break down and everything will be lost?
no, not break down. just can't stand to have so much there filling it up. i like things clean and tidy and a full DVR is the antithesis.
Old 03-03-14, 05:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Mine was about 90% full when it crashed yesterday. Good excuse to cut the cord.
Old 03-03-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

I try to clean it out when it's close to 65% full. Some things I will delete if it's a show that gets cancelled or not renewed or the season appears online through Prime or Netflix. I have a shit ton of cooking shows saved just because they have recipes I want to try.

I just went thru last season and this season of Justified and cleared it out. Same with Wilfred. Other shows I'm better at keeping up with and deleting once I've viewed it (usually within a few days).
Old 03-03-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I'll clear out a show if the wife and I decide we are done with it, but I have tons of stuff sitting on there at all times. I stopped caring a long time ago, because I never have enough time to watch everything I have recorded soon after I record it, but when shows go on hiatus over the winter and summer, I've got plenty to watch.

It's always fun seeing ads for movies that are coming out in theaters that I already own on Blu-ray.
Old 03-03-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Maybe since I am always on the brink of recording capacity and around 3% or less but hopefully I will clear out some NFL games and all those dam awards shows in the next couple of weeks to get more room.

Why do they have to schedule the Super Bowl, Olympics, Grammys, and Oscars all in the same month?
Old 03-03-14, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I'll save you the trouble on the SB....you can delete it after the 1st half.
Old 03-03-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

With a Motorola Xfinity box you have to stay on top of things. Once it gets past half full it starts getting wonky and shows that you can see being recorded often won't show up on the list. It really is more trouble than it should be.
Old 03-03-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope my TiVo perpetually 99% full.
Old 03-03-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

My DVR vicious circle:

Stage 1: For a time I try to keep up and with what the DVR has to offer by way of recorded shows. If I recorded it, there must have been a good reason!

Stage 2: I suddenly find myself with some extra time to watch some TV and there is not enough recorded content to carry me through. Panic ensues.

Stage 3: Faced with the horrifying prospect of watching live TV, I hurriedly lower the bar for deciding what is worth recording. This becomes a problem as I now cycle back to Stage 1.
Old 03-03-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the opposite problem. TV shows I watch and erase fairly quickly, I find them quick and easy to get through. Movies tend to languish there because they take up more time, but they go eventually. In all honesty, I kind of think I need to buy a Blu-Ray burner or something to have a place to put some of the stuff I keep perpetually on my DVR because it hasn't had any home video release yet.
Old 03-04-14, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the shows I DVR get watched and deleted within a couple of days.

There are a few exceptions. My wife wanted to see the Michael J. Fox show and the Coven show, so they started filling up the DVR since she would rather watch old sitcoms, Lifetime movies, and the Weather Channel. After about 10 episodes of each, she realized she was NEVER going to watch them, so I got the okay to delete them. I also recently deleted the last 5 episodes of True Detective, since I couldn't get into it.

My DVR is mostly filled with movies, some of which will sit for months before I get around to them. I'm around 35% now, I start to get antsy if it goes about 50%.
Old 03-04-14, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not OCD with mine because I don't have a chance to be.

I only have room for about 25 hours of HD content, so I'm in a constant battle to keep enough space free for the next set of recordings. And then I get nights like tonight where shows don't properly record, or Time Warner decides to send out box updates while I'm trying to record, that many times I even wonder why I'm bothering with their nearly useless crap box. 2 Tuners, 160GB HD. It's a joke that I still can't upgrade the fucking thing. It's an 8 year old box! UGH!
Old 03-04-14, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Comcast Boxes can store about 20 hours HD Programming on each box, so I have to do a marathon every once in a while of fear its gets too full to DVR future shows. Weekends are my time to make up on all DVR shows I missed during the week.
Old 03-04-14, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
I'm not OCD with mine because I don't have a chance to be.

I only have room for about 25 hours of HD content, so I'm in a constant battle to keep enough space free for the next set of recordings. And then I get nights like tonight where shows don't properly record, or Time Warner decides to send out box updates while I'm trying to record, that many times I even wonder why I'm bothering with their nearly useless crap box. 2 Tuners, 160GB HD. It's a joke that I still can't upgrade the fucking thing. It's an 8 year old box! UGH!
My box is also not large enough to store very much stuff. That was a problem for me back in October/November, when I was participating in challenges. All of a sudden, things would get deleted to make room for new recordings.

My box has been acting really wonky lately, so Verizon is sending out a new one. I guess the old boxes don't mesh up well with their new system updates. Hopefully that solves the problems I've been having.
Old 03-04-14, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My DVR(s) are my two Windows 7 machines, each that have a dual HD tuner card. Both are programmed to record specific shows, and the recorded show folders are tied together on both machines, so all shows are accessible on on bothe computers, on my Apple TV through my ipad, and through my Roku 3. I have tons of room, so I don't worry about storage. On, and anything I can't record is always accessible somewhere.
Old 03-04-14, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i purge in september before the new season, if something has sat for a year, means i really didnt want to watch it anway
Old 03-04-14, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Comcast Boxes can store about 20 hours HD Programming on each box, so I have to do a marathon every once in a while of fear its gets too full to DVR future shows. Weekends are my time to make up on all DVR shows I missed during the week.
Have you had the box for a couple of years? Go to Comcast and swap for a newer box, the hard drives are much bigger now. I have about 21 hours of HD and 14 hours of SD on mine and I'm at 34% full.

Last edited by GuessWho; 03-04-14 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-04-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Yeah, because my comcast DVR can only hold so much stuff, I don't ever have too many shows left unwatched on my DVR. But it's hardly ever empty. There is always a few episodes left on there that I need to watch.
Old 03-04-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not so much. I built it myself and record only OTA so if it gets close to full I just add another external drive.
Old 03-04-14, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Have you had the box for a couple of years? Go to Comcast and swap for a newer box, the hard drives are much bigger now. I have about 21 hours of HD and 14 hours of SD on mine and I'm at 34% full.
The last box I got was January 2013, as it is the same model as my other 2 boxes (I believe its a Motorola?).

I will call my local Comcast and see if they stock newer Comcast HD/DVR Boxes and see if they can save more programming.

Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.