Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Surround Speaker Hanging

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Surround Speaker Hanging

Old 02-26-14, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surround Speaker Hanging

How do you go about putting surround speakers on the wall? I'm guessing that you do more than just put a screw in the wall like you do for hanging a picture.
Old 02-27-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Surround Speaker Hanging

Depends on the speaker. Some have keyhole mounts built in, and a screw is all you need. (perhaps a wall anchor, depending on weight) Others have screw holes to match up to a speaker mount, and some of those come with their own mount. Others have nothing, which would require alteration or a shelf.

Could also depend on whether you want them facing straight away from the wall or aimed in some other direction.

You can check Monoprice.com for some inexpensive speaker mounts if you need them.
Old 02-27-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

my surrounds are pretty heavy and they have 2 keyhole mount slots. What I did was make sort of an exterior stud. So I cut a piece of 1x4 (painted black to match speaker) that would cover the distance of the 2 mount slots (and a little more), probably 10" or so. I screwed that to the wall, then put the screws into that, and then mounted the speaker into those screws. it gave me more flexibility on where to mount the speakers, not having to hit studs directly with the screws needed to mount in the speaker.
Old 02-27-14, 10:01 AM
Banned

Yeah, I don't need anything fancy. Just something to stick it to the wall. They do have keyholes in the back.

And Redbill, that sounds like a great idea. We did something very similar a few weeks ago when we built me some dvd shelving. A backbrace like you did onto which we screwed some 2x4s. Then, we screwed the whole thing into the wall studs.

Last edited by HellTrack; 02-27-14 at 05:37 PM.