Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dumbest/craziest thing you have done in a game?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somehow I remembered the old Gears of War 2 days. Once in a time I was a Gears "hardcore" gamer, up until 3, I guess. So in Gears 2 there was a lot of boosting, trying to get "your wings", that's basically Prestige, for COD players. The highest level you could get in multiplayer. But let's get back in topic.

One of the dumbest things I've done in a game: I spent hours in Gears 2 boosting, trying to level up in multiplayer, doing this in King of the Hill:

The video is 9 minutes long, but the first 10 seconds should show you what people were doing. And Epic would give you weekends of 10XP (multiplier of 10), or higher, so you can already imagine...

What about you?
Old 02-25-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Dumbest/craziest thing you have done in a game?

Are they dancing? WTF is going on in that video?
Old 02-25-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Mostly Silly stuff to break up the monotony of multiplayer games. In Warhawk I used to like to set mines on vehicles and become a suicide bomber. Same concept in Battlefield except with C4. In CoD I would douche it up with explosives. MW2 was great for that. Commando lunge was my favorite way to get people to rage quit.
Old 02-25-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finishing a Super Mario Bros level with zero seconds left on the timer.
Old 02-25-14, 11:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Dumbest:
Spoiler:
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=E22A33ED92D826B9&resid=E22A33ED92D826B9%214599&authkey=AD3MqlLafOIi8uc" width="319" height="237" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Craziest:
Spoiler:
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=E22A33ED92D826B9&resid=E22A33ED92D826B9%214599&authkey=AD3MqlLafOIi8uc" width="319" height="237" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Old 02-25-14, 11:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Dumbest: Attended a virtual "sit in" on WoW and got a 48 hour ban for my efforts.

Craziest: "Bladder of Steel"
Old 02-25-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Are they dancing? WTF is going on in that video?
Rather than playing competitively as the game is intended, both teams are cooperating and taking turns capturing, breaking, and recapturing the ring over and over and over to get maximum XP.

Source: I've done it too.
Old 02-25-14, 02:39 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going for the 7-day Survivor achievement in Dead Rising (worth 20 gamerscore). It takes 14 hours in real time, and the game froze on about the 11th hour of essentially grinding. So I went to bed and started it all over again the next morning. I got through it on the second try. I basically blew the entire weekend just doing that. Keep in mind, this was on an early batch 360 so I had that sucker on for 25+ hours in a 34 hour span.
Old 02-25-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I beat the original Battletoads game...
Old 02-25-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

I was playing Battlefield 1943 and had gotten all of the trophies except for the one for playing in 50 matches (or whatever number it was), and I was at less than half that amount. I had however gotten bored of the game, and wanted the trophy to finish out the 100%, but didn't feel I had it in me to sit thru that many more matches just for the trophy. So I bought a cheap controller with a turbo feature and taped down the X button (which was the jump button in a match, but was also the button used to start the next match and respawn when killed), and let it run overnight while I was sleeping for a couple of days.

Each day, I would wake up with a message box full of messages with variations of "Why are you jumping?", but I got my trophy damnit.
Old 02-25-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not me, but when we were younger my brother was really into the Quest for Glory series. In part 4, you start off in a cave and you're supposed to leave right away to continue, except the game is an RPG where you have to repeat certain actions to increase your skills so he sat in the cave for days using various items to press down keyboard keys so that the Hero would cast spells repeatedly, rest, or throw rocks or whatnot to max out everything before the game really even starts. I always thought that was pretty dedicated and absurd.

I've never done anything too crazy, I got really good at Mike Tyson's punch out where i'd think of little challenges for myself like knocking out Mike Tyson instead of just a TKO, deliberately finding a way to get uppercuts off of him.
Old 02-25-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Not me, but when we were younger my brother was really into the Quest for Glory series. In part 4, you start off in a cave and you're supposed to leave right away to continue, except the game is an RPG where you have to repeat certain actions to increase your skills so he sat in the cave for days using various items to press down keyboard keys so that the Hero would cast spells repeatedly, rest, or throw rocks or whatnot to max out everything before the game really even starts. I always thought that was pretty dedicated and absurd.
I did the same thing in Ultima 8. Each swing of your sword had a chance to raise your strength. So all you had to do was swing repeatedly until your strength was max. You could do the same with INT by reading a book, but it would only count if you read the entire book. One of the books in the first town only had one page, so all you had to do was open and close a bunch of times to max your stat. Maybe 20-30 minutes or so into the game, and you'd have maxed stats.
Old 02-25-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't think of anything too dumb or crazy, but some of the "boosting" skills in Oblivion were odd, like having the guy autorun into a corner to build up the sneak skill while I go do something else, or repeatedly jumping on a table to build up acrobatics.
Old 02-25-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
Dumbest:
Spoiler:

Craziest:
Spoiler:
Old 02-25-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

In Anarchy Online (an MMORPG), I wanted to be the first person in the game to gain one of the new "Shadow Levels' that had just been introduced to the game with an expansion pack. Well to get any more than 1xp per kill you had to raise certain factions in the new zones that came with the expansion so it was a pain in the ass since no one had really figured things out yet.
So anyways I decided to take a different approach and spent (if I remember right) 2 weeks killing 80,000 mobs in the newbie starter area for 1 xp each. I was putting in 16 hours a day doing that bullshit. And unfortunately I only managed to be the 4th person to do it because a group of 3 other players got there the day before me.
Old 02-25-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Starcraft Broodwar which cost me perfect eyesight, i'd usually enter 3vs3 moneymap games (every1 has just 1 mineral with tons of money on it); if our alliance would defeat the opposing enemies i would start forming a brand new army and launch it on my own allies, the key to it was timing and surprise. You'd build up another army in your factory fields while the enemy was getting mopped up (but still alive) and then start going for your ally's factory fields (not their money buildings because it has too many workers/HP to get through it) while taking out their means to make new units, hopefully it takes them a while to realize this. Usually they'd unally you at this point and start taking their armies out from the original enemies to send them back to you but of course it'd be too late.

This was all brought about by the fiendish ability of alliances being by word only since they were not permanently set. When i got too good at this i would sort of just leave everyone alive but allow them a few buildings to survive so they would all move in together and end up as this ragtag alliance of 5 people against big bad me. Then i would keep them on their toes for a couple hours thinking they have some chance. Evil stuff.

Red Faction the FPS pc game had the touted ability of blowing out environments, and someone managed to increase the radius of the blast holes so you'd find a little spot to blow a hole out and then start "digging" your way through tunnels, well people figured out ways to blow the floors out too through this so people just could not walk around without falling into pits. Then it turned out to be using the x-ray rail drivers.
Old 02-25-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I was playing Battlefield 1943 and had gotten all of the trophies except for the one for playing in 50 matches (or whatever number it was), and I was at less than half that amount. I had however gotten bored of the game, and wanted the trophy to finish out the 100%, but didn't feel I had it in me to sit thru that many more matches just for the trophy. So I bought a cheap controller with a turbo feature and taped down the X button (which was the jump button in a match, but was also the button used to start the next match and respawn when killed), and let it run overnight while I was sleeping for a couple of days.

Each day, I would wake up with a message box full of messages with variations of "Why are you jumping?", but I got my trophy damnit.
Hahaha. I'm gonna have to try that. That's also the only trophy I have left in that game... and I can't bring myself to play it anymore. It's pretty bad compared to the other BF games available for PS3.

Btw, it's 100 matches, not 50, so it's definitely a grind to do it legit.
Old 02-26-14, 09:54 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The craziest thing from recent memory is in MW2 (I think that one), the level where you play a terrorist and go and kill a bazillion people in an airport. I can't believe that was allowed in a game. I am not offended very easily, but that was crazy.

This is probably not what the OP was asking for, but it was crazy and i did it
Old 02-26-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I beat the original Battletoads game...
For real? Epic.
Old 02-26-14, 10:25 AM

Getting the stupid achievements in NBA Jam. That game was awful in single player but I wanted to get all the achievements... I had to get a rubber band to hold down buttons so my guy would shoot the ball everytime he touched it. Typically your teammate would get the board and score so you would still win the game. I think you had to go through and beat classic mode with an east and west team. It was boring as hell.

Last edited by Krayzie; 02-26-14 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

not really IN a game, but I used to keep season long stats on paper when playing Hardball! on my Commodore 64.
Old 02-26-14, 11:01 AM

Dumb and Crazy...

In Elder Scrolls on the Xbox360, I beat the main story of the game. I was mighty proud of myself, so I went to my main house in the game where my wife was (the Nordic Archer Chick) expecting to get some congrats or some virtual action...or something. Instead, the bitch immediately told me to kill some bear in a cave up north. I was having none of that crap, so I took an axe to her and beat her to death. I then stripped her down to her bra and panties. Now, I can't move her and I have a half-naked dead chick on the floor of my house and there is no way to re-marry. Oh the horror....lol.....
Old 02-26-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-26-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
In Anarchy Online (an MMORPG), I wanted to be the first person in the game to gain one of the new "Shadow Levels' that had just been introduced to the game with an expansion pack. Well to get any more than 1xp per kill you had to raise certain factions in the new zones that came with the expansion so it was a pain in the ass since no one had really figured things out yet.
So anyways I decided to take a different approach and spent (if I remember right) 2 weeks killing 80,000 mobs in the newbie starter area for 1 xp each. I was putting in 16 hours a day doing that bullshit. And unfortunately I only managed to be the 4th person to do it because a group of 3 other players got there the day before me.
Live to win... til you die....
Old 02-26-14, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
That reminds me of when my wife decided she wanted rank 11 in WoW PVP so she could get the different faction mounts... I ended up grinding PVP for awhile to get her to rank 11 just for those stupid mounts. You basically had to spend every waking moment pvping unless you were in a group that would boost you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.