Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Reviews are coming in:

Destructoid: 10/10

I didn't think it was possible, but Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has topped Returns. It's an incredibly crafted platformer with an HD sheen and an insane attention to detail, and any fan of the genre owes it to themselves to experience it. With the addition of control options to the already proven formula, Retro Studios' rendition of Donkey Kong is pretty much flawless.
Polygon: 8.5

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze could've easily been a me-too sequel. Its much-loved predecessor reinvigorated the series and did so much with the 2D framework that Retro could've released a bunch of new stages and called it a day. But Tropical Freeze adds intelligently to the formula, with new characters that imbue subtle nuance to the gameplay, a better-tuned challenge level and an increased emphasis on replay value. These features make Tropical Freeze consistently worth coming back to, and mark it as a high point for the series.
IGN: 9.0

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a great platformer full of tense sequences and tough levels. Boss battles are a huge highlight, and it’s packed with hard-to-find secrets and collectibles. Multiplayer could use some improvement, but I found myself laughing whenever my teammate and I wiped out on some of these unforgiving setups. But a rewarding sense of accomplishment stuck with me each time I overcame a new obstacle, and that feeling kept me going all the way to the end.
Gamespot: 6
If the regular levels were as inventive as the boss battles, then Tropical Freeze would be a surefire hit, or at least a game that demands more of your attention. No matter how much I was looking forward to seeing DK in HD, it's difficult to maintain that enthusiasm when the end product plays it so safe: even the visuals fail to make an impact. They're nice enough, but like the level design, the environments are mostly bland. While you could argue that the visual style is true to the series, I think even traditionalists wouldn't mind something with a little more pizzazz behind it. As it stands, this a sometimes fun but mostly uninspired and unimaginative entry in the Donkey Kong series.
Got it pre-ordered from Gamestop. Been replaying the original trilogy on my SNES. They still hold up great. Can't wait for Friday!
Old 02-17-14, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts
Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)

@ that Destructoid review. He didn't think it was possible to top Returns? Has he played Returns? Those were some of the worst, most unintuitive controls I've ever seen in any game, let alone in a platformer.
Old 02-18-14, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't you think you're exaggerating a bit?
Old 02-18-14, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do they have the first 3 games available anywhere other than the SNES? Did they make a Wii collection disc or something?
Old 02-18-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Do they have the first 3 games available anywhere other than the SNES? Did they make a Wii collection disc or something?
I've got them on the Virtual Console, but it looks like they were delisted over a year ago.
Old 02-18-14, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Don't you think you're exaggerating a bit?
Okay, fair enough : some of the worst, most unintuitive controls I've ever seen in a non-Kinect game.

From the Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread (which I started) :

Originally Posted by atxbomber
As much as I'm loving this game, I have to say the rocket barrel levels that require you to mash the A button in order to fly may be the single worst game mechanic ever to make it into a first party Nintendo game. Ugh.
Originally Posted by slop101
I'd say those sorts of moves are more difficult in this than in the original because of waggle-controls - while shaking the controller in this game is fairly responsive, it doesn't have the precision that a press of a button does.
Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
yea i wish they included the option to map the rolling to a button. and the "blowing" shouldve gotten cut completely.
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I got this yesterday. Ugh, rolling with motion controls is absolutely horrible when going doing time attacks. You pretty much have to shake it non-stop if you want any hope of a gold. Even when doing levels normally, I usually like to roll a lot, but that isn't really plausible. The lack of classic controller support is really frustrating.
Originally Posted by Kory
I love the game and the difficulty of it so far, but I hate the controls. I'd love to be able to just press a button to jump.
That level is pretty annoying. The thing that helps is to roll+jump a lot. You move a lot faster that way, and it gives you a bit of a cushion.

Unfortunately, it also highlights how horrible having to roll using motion controls is.
Originally Posted by Ravenous
Im playing this game now and I fucking hate it. I played DKC 1 & 2 non stop as a kid and loved every second and never had a problem. This game frustrates the hell out of me. I dont know if its cuz Im older and I just dont have time, but I do not enjoy spending an hour on a level with gimmicky motion controls that fuck me over. Thank god I only paid $15 for this headache
Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, it's the stupid gimmicky motion controls that kill it. Shame too because it's a great looking game and had some real potential -- it could have been like Rayman Origins if not for that waggle crap.
Old 02-18-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed with Decker. Destructoid continues to post these types of things as click bait. It's getting annoying. The original Returns, and it's 3DS counterpart, had horrendous controls and ridiculous difficulty spikes.
Old 02-18-14, 09:57 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Still deciding if I want to get this now or just wait. It seems like more of the same like the 3DS version, which I didn't find to be all that great. With South Park coming out in a few weeks I don't know if I'll even bother.
Old 02-18-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The DK Returns controls were definitely awful, but it did have a ton of a really good levels. I thought the game was quite good, despite the awful controls.

One of the best reasons to soft mod a Wii is that there is a patch that adds classic controller support to DK Returns.
Old 02-20-14, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

If the last Mario game didn't move more U systems, I doubt this will.

Regardless, I'm buying it day one (that's tomorrow, right?), as I'm a sucker for a good platformer, I can even enjoy a below average quality platformer.
Old 02-21-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Played the first two levels. Graphics are nice but man the load times are a bitch. Also This game supports a million different controller options but no support for the Wii Pro Controller?!
Old 02-22-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Now that Retro is done with this yawnfest maybe they can get to work on a new Metroid.
Old 02-22-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Played the first two levels. Graphics are nice but man the load times are a bitch. Also This game supports a million different controller options but no support for the Wii Pro Controller?!
Most systems only give you one controller option. This game supports "a million" and you want a million and one. There's no pleasing some people.
Old 02-23-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Decker
Okay, fair enough : some of the worst, most unintuitive controls I've ever seen in a non-Kinect game.

From the Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread (which I started) :
Those complaints seem pretty silly, to me. It's all subjective of course, but some of these points are way off.

Complaining of mashing a button in a barrel level? Erm, you can just hold the button down.

'Wish I could just push a button to jump'. What? You can push a button to jump. Not sure about the complaint there.

Were these people using the 'NES' style control play? The 'blowing' mechanic doesn't seem to hurt anything, as you're usually using it to uncover a hidden item, meaning you're not in mid-battle or something and need to use it.

The 'shake to roll' thing isn't really bad either. I definitely would prefer it were mapped to a button instead or something, but never once did the shake and roll thing actually bother me. Then again, I'm not shaking my wiimote hoping to blow through an entire level.

To each their own. I can see why it would frustrate some, but a lot of your comment pulls pretty much say the same thing - they don't like the motion control aspect of it. The other examples you listed were entirely unfounded from what I can tell.

Anyway, if you play DKCTF using the U gamepad, you should be somewhat happier. But there's definitely one thing that's bothering me with this style of controls - you need to hold one of the triggers in order to hold on to a vine. This was difficult for me to get used to, and there are things that I'm passing up just because I know I'm not coordinated enough yet to attempt retrieving them. Not sure why you can't just 'cling' to a vine, and then use a button to jump or another to drop as it's always been.

I haven't tried playing this game with another style of controller yet though.

I will also echo that the load times just seem flat out dumb. Even the loading screen has a tendency to 'stutter' while the system is trying to load the level. Gameplay is smooth as can be though.
Old 02-23-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83
Played the first two levels. Graphics are nice but man the load times are a bitch.
I counted, takes about 5 seconds for each level to load. That's not too quick, but hardly a bitch.
Old 02-23-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Played some more last night and am halfway through world 2. The loading screens are gonna be an issue for me. Not for the times but the twirling bananas load screens made me nauseous.
Old 02-23-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Those complaints seem pretty silly, to me. It's all subjective of course, but some of these points are way off.

The 'shake to roll' thing isn't really bad either. I definitely would prefer it were mapped to a button instead or something, but never once did the shake and roll thing actually bother me.
Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Pretty much. The only time that the motion controls are an issue is during time attack, when rolling is essential for getting a quick time.
Rolling also makes a number of the normal levels way easier and is necessary for a bunch of secrets in the normal game. Just because you don't roll much in the way that you play doesn't mean that other people don't, and that their complaints aren't valid.

The complaints about the controls aren't silly. You say yourself that rolling would be better mapped to a button, but you think it is silly that people complain about it just because you personally don't roll much? That is silly.

If developers want to change control schemes away from the standard, their new scheme should be an improvement over the old one. The motion controls in Returns failed in that regard.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 02-23-14 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished World 2 boss. That Bastard was a bitch to beat!
Old 02-24-14, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Rolling also makes a number of the normal levels way easier and is necessary for a bunch of secrets in the normal game. Just because you don't roll much in the way that you play doesn't mean that other people don't, and that their complaints aren't valid.

The complaints about the controls aren't silly. You say yourself that rolling would be better mapped to a button, but you think it is silly that people complain about it just because you personally don't roll much? That is silly.

If developers want to change control schemes away from the standard, their new scheme should be an improvement over the old one. The motion controls in Returns failed in that regard.
Except my original point for even 'going there' was that the poster I was responding too said it was the worst control scheme ever. I'm saying those complaints aren't valid in regards to THAT statement.

"To each their own. I can see why it would frustrate some, but a lot of your comment pulls pretty much say the same thing - they don't like the motion control aspect of it."

And a single argument from some isn't exactly the same as it being the 'worst control scheme ever'.
Old 02-24-14, 09:44 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I held off on buying this simply because the reviews said how difficult it was. I'll grab it if it goes on sale in the $20's, but for $50, I'd rather not deal with a headache.
Old 02-24-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Great game, beautiful, and the difficulty doesn't bother me. In the day of constant check points, seeing a flat out Game Over screen is a good change of pace.
Old 02-24-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Do you still have to shake the controller to do the roll jump?
Old 02-24-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thinks it's difficult but fair. Haven't had a "game over" yet, as I have oodles of extra lives, and they seem to be easy enough to pick up and there's around 3 checkpoints per level, so you don't have to replay a section from too far back.
Old 02-24-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I held off on buying this simply because the reviews said how difficult it was. I'll grab it if it goes on sale in the $20's, but for $50, I'd rather not deal with a headache.
Good lord Giz, it's Donkey Kong, not Dark Souls.
Old 02-27-14, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good lord Giz, it's Donkey Kong, not Dark Souls.
This.

They have extra powerups to purchase if you get stuck. I only use it to stock up on lives.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.