Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Oklahoma!' Todd-AO restoration premiers at TCM Fest 2014

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 10:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival will open April 10 with the world premiere of the new restoration of "Oklahoma!" Fred Zinnemann's 1955 classic based on the groundbreaking Richard Rodgers-Oscar Hammerstein II musical.

Restoration presented in collaboration with Twentieth Century Fox and Fotokem. The original 6-track soundtrack has been also restored and re-mastered at Twentieth Century Fox, in collaboration with End Point Audio and Chase Audio by Deluxe.

This unique 4k presentation, painstakingly restored from 65mm Todd-AO elements by Twentieth Century Fox and Fotokem, will be screened at 30 frames per second—the same frame rate as when the film was originally released in 1955. The original 6-track soundtrack has been also restored and re-mastered at Twentieth Century Fox, in collaboration with End Point Audio and Chase Audio by Deluxe.

Shirley Jones will be in attendance at the screening in the TCL Chinese Theater IMAX in Hollywood. The film will be introduced by TCM host Robert Osborne.

~~

If Fox, Fotokem and Chase did it right - not only will this look fantastic but it should sound magnificent - wonder if they hard encoded the DCP for five front channel sound - now THAT would be a first!

the rest of the festival, and it's website is here:

TCM Classic Film Festival - Hollywood 2014
Old 02-17-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn, still not a celluloid screening though . 70mm would've looked stunning. Still, if they did a restoration on something with such a peculiar makeup, that bodes well, and I bet 4K 30 FPS DCP will look stunning. I live in the wrong place . I see six-track is remixed into surround fairly often. Was it kind early proto-surround sound which opened under a similar principle? Imagine it'll be Akron TCM shortly thereafter. I'd drop cable if it wasn't for them. Need to find some way of getting their rare stuff off of my DVR to clear some space.
Old 02-17-14, 11:22 AM

Re: 'Oklahoma!' Todd-AO restoration premiers at TCM Fest 2014

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Damn, still not a celluloid screening though . 70mm would've looked stunning. Still, if they did a restoration on something with such a peculiar makeup, that bodes well, and I bet 4K 30 FPS DCP will look stunning. I live in the wrong place . I see six-track is remixed into surround fairly often. Was it kind early proto-surround sound which opened under a similar principle?
oh I bet it will - but I'm not expecting the sound to 100% mirror the original 6-track 70mm mag sound (yeah, yeah, I'm being pessimistic).

Todd-AO sound was five front channel sound plus mono surrounds. What I'm expecting the bluray to sound like is what Fox did to 'The Sound of Music' 7-channel sound were music is added to four channels behind the listener, which further distances the original theatrical mix (but I'm speculating on that). DCI sound processors can decode five front channel sound (L, LC, C, RC, R), but so far not one studio has encoded a film as such, again you have to factor in that not many theaters have five speakers located behind the screen, specialty screens do, and some theaters that can show multiple formats (35mm, 70mm, DCP) - Seattle Cinerama, AFI Silver, Arclight L.A, Museum of Moving Image (Astoria, NY), San Francisco's Castro Theater, Chicago's Music Box Theater.

Last edited by Giles; 02-17-14 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

My mouth has been watering for years waiting for this to hit Bd. Very VERY eager to see how 30fps translates on a home screen.

Looks like another expensive box set to look forward to in Q4 this year
Old 02-17-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,018 Likes on 841 Posts

Would love to see an awesome presentation of this. The Todd-AO version on the two-disc DVD a few years back looked like crap.
Old 02-17-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

That's right! I'd forgotten all about that.
I remembered being happy the film finally got an anamorphic remaster at the time- but disappointed it didn't look better. But that was the cinemascope version. The Todd AO, OTOH, was just about completely unwatchable on a large screen- which was ironic as that's the version that should have been stunning.
I'd forgotten that part. In fact it was so bad, I must have convinced myself it simply didn't exist.

Though I have seen both several times, I'm not as hyper sensitive to the practical differences between the two as other fans are. It seems most people who are though prefer the Todd AO version.
Probably best to keep expectations in check a bit here as based on that last disc, there's a large enough gulf to cross for this just to look competent- let alone beautiful.
Old 02-17-14, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Would love to see an awesome presentation of this. The Todd-AO version on the two-disc DVD a few years back looked like crap.
oddly - the bonus featurettes: "The Miracle of Todd-AO" and "The March of Todd-AO" looked far superior to the main feature.
Old 02-17-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Believe it or not, a local cinema in my neck of the woods actually claims to be able to project at 30 FPS and lets you tour their projection booth.
Old 02-18-14, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Believe it or not, a local cinema in my neck of the woods actually claims to be able to project at 30 FPS and lets you tour their projection booth.
I dig that Pam Grier triple feature.
Old 02-18-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The two digital ones are likely to be simply DVD projections (Can't imagine those ever got DCPs), but meeting Coffy herself would be cool!

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 02-18-14 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-10-22, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I just watched this for the first time ever on Disney+ last night, and I don't know if it was the monster edible I took prior, but I loved this movie. My god it was beautiful! I have no clue which version Disney has, but it looks incredible. I enjoyed the story and songs WAY more than I was expecting. They sure don't make musicals like this anymore!

I think I need to go down the rabbit hole and watch more musicals from this era.
The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (04-10-22)
Old 04-10-22, 11:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This is a great place to start, with this collection.

The following 2 users liked this post by E Unit:
davidh777 (04-10-22), joeblow69 (04-10-22)
Old 04-10-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm, from that list it looks like I need to see The King and I, and South Pacific. South Pacific we actually played a medley from in high school band (Waaaaay back in 1990?) so that'd be cool to watch and see if I recognize any of the songs.
Old 04-10-22, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,018 Likes on 841 Posts

South Pacific has some songs you’d recognize just from living life in America.

The Music Man and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers would also be logical next steps.
Old 04-10-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
South Pacific has some songs you’d recognize just from living life in America.

The Music Man and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers would also be logical next steps.
I definitely remember "there ain't nothin like a dame" because they play that video in gay bars all the time

I'll add the others to the list, thanks!
Old 04-10-22, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

I live in Oklahoma and never liked this movie. Too unrealistic with its lack of methlabs in it.