Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I have a new podcast about old TV called "TV Guidance Counselor"

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a new podcast about old TV called "TV Guidance Counselor"

and people on the board might dig it. I'm a stand up comedian, this is my first attempt at a podcast. New episode every Wednesday, working on getting it on iTunes. It's free.

My first guest is Myq Kaplan.

Check it out if you are so inclined, and I'd love to hear what you think.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/133941424&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&visual=true"></iframe>

https://soundcloud.com/kenreidcomedian/tv-1

http://tvguidancecounselor.tumblr.com/
Old 02-11-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: I have a new podcast about old TV called "TV Guidance Counselor"

I'm only about 25 minutes in, but I am really enjoying it so far. I think that the concept of pulling old TV Guides and going through the lineups of each night is a unique and compelling conversation starter, and really speaks to an era when time-shifting was not an option. You would actually have prioritize The Golden Girls or Who's the Boss.

Again, I am really digging it for a first episode, well done! Keep us updated with the progress with iTunes. I would subscribe when available there.

Great job, and congrats on the new endeavor!
Old 02-12-14, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks so much for checking it out and I'm glad you like it. I'm really enjoying doing them. I have some good sized names scheduled to record some in the coming months and next week's episode is an issue from 1984 if people have a love for that particular year.

I really appreciate the kind words as well. The hardest part of things like this is figuring out if anyone who doesn't already know you would bother to listen to it and enjoy it and if the concept is something appealing. Thanks so much.
Old 02-12-14, 08:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: I posted in the TV thread, but in case you missed it, I have a new podcast...

I totally jerked off to that.
Old 02-12-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I posted in the TV thread, but in case you missed it, I have a new podcast...

So what is it about?
Old 02-12-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

This is a good premise for a show, but I think you are casting too narrow a net by only providing 1980-1995. There are a finite number of primetime shows in any 15 year period, and I would imagine a lot of the same series are going to be picked. Will your show have no one under 30? Maybe it would be interesting to have people figure out what shows they would have chosen to watch from before they were alive in the 60s or 50s.
Old 02-12-14, 11:20 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

didn't miss it, just didn't care.
Old 02-12-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Some pens are on-sale at Best Buy too.
Old 02-12-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Total number of podcasts I have listened to: zero.

And I'm certainly not going to start now.

If, instead of a podcast, you could summarize your points in a few paragraphs with useful bolding, I will happily offer my opinion.
Old 02-12-14, 12:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't think we need two threads on this topic...merging...
Old 02-12-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
This is a good premise for a show, but I think you are casting too narrow a net by only providing 1980-1995. There are a finite number of primetime shows in any 15 year period, and I would imagine a lot of the same series are going to be picked. Will your show have no one under 30? Maybe it would be interesting to have people figure out what shows they would have chosen to watch from before they were alive in the 60s or 50s.
Thanks. The only issue is that my knowledge base gets pretty weak pre 1978 and post 1997 or so.

Most of my friends are in the 25-40 age range so this era kind of worked. I have some schedule for the future with some older people, and I have a few TV Guides from the 60s and 70s.

Originally Posted by smg669
I totally jerked off to that.
Mission accomplished!

Originally Posted by Tarantino
So what is it about?
I have a guest on each week who picks a TV Guide from my collection. They sit down and chose what they would watch in Prime Time that week, the podcast is us discussing their choices. Interspersed in there are stories from our childhoods, analysis of some shows, and Cheers and Jeers.

Originally Posted by TGM
didn't miss it, just didn't care.
But thank you for caring enough for letting me know you didn't miss it. I was worried.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Do they offer the protection plan on pens?

Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson
Total number of podcasts I have listened to: zero.

And I'm certainly not going to start now.

If, instead of a podcast, you could summarize your points in a few paragraphs with useful bolding, I will happily offer my opinion.
I appreciate and admire your brave stance on the subject. I'll have my people draw up a summary for your benefit. I hired a guy who used to do transcripts for Donohue, he's great.

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't think we need two threads on this topic...merging...
I agree, thank you.
Old 02-12-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I appreciate the work that goes into a podcast, I'm sure it is a lot of fun to do, but if you are looking for an audience, have you considered an hour and a half might be a little too much to ask for?

While the format of your show appeals to me, unfortunately, with Howard Stern and Phil Hendrie and Kevin Pollack and stuff friends of mine are producing, I really don't have time for your show. There are only so many streaming hours in a day.

Have you considered making a condensed version. Maybe 10 minutes of highlights. Be honest, this show is not 76 minutes of highlights. Look at how Seinfeld handles his show, cutting a few hours of interview into a well paced, engaging 10-15 minutes.

I would think this would be a better format for a podcast just starting out. Wouldn't people be more likely to give something a tight seven or ten minutes a listen? I had fifteen minutes to check out your podcast and most of that was taken up by the introductory remarks.

75 minutes is an awful lot to ask of an audience. Earn it first. Remember, brevity is the soul of wit.
Old 02-12-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

So we can self promote now?
Old 02-12-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I appreciate the work that goes into a podcast, I'm sure it is a lot of fun to do, but if you are looking for an audience, have you considered an hour and a half might be a little too much to ask for?

While the format of your show appeals to me, unfortunately, with Howard Stern and Phil Hendrie and Kevin Pollack and stuff friends of mine are producing, I really don't have time for your show. There are only so many streaming hours in a day.

Have you considered making a condensed version. Maybe 10 minutes of highlights. Be honest, this show is not 76 minutes of highlights. Look at how Seinfeld handles his show, cutting a few hours of interview into a well paced, engaging 10-15 minutes.

I would think this would be a better format for a podcast just starting out. Wouldn't people be more likely to give something a tight seven or ten minutes a listen? I had fifteen minutes to check out your podcast and most of that was taken up by the introductory remarks.

75 minutes is an awful lot to ask of an audience. Earn it first. Remember, brevity is the soul of wit.
This right here is very sound advice. If i was coming up with a podcast the first thing i would look at is the average commute time to work. That is when most people seem to listen to podcast. 30-45 min in my opinion is the tops you want to go. Anymore and you will get so far behind you give up on the show. I know because I've done it with numerous podcast.
Old 02-12-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Anything longer than around 30 to 40 minutes is asking too much. Most adults don't have much more than that as free time, even in a long commute.
Old 02-12-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do have a long commute, so I don't mind a podcast that hovers around 90 minutes. It is the content I am concerned most about. There are plenty of long podcasts that I make a point of finishing, either in the car or listening while cleaning the house, shopping, etc.

Just make a good product, and people will choose how to digest it.
Old 02-13-14, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for checking it out at all and for the feedback, very much appreciated.

I had every intention of this thing being 30 minutes or less, but then once I got recorded they all seem to naturally be about 70 minutes.

I am doing some "Special edition" episodes that are shorter about things like "after school" "daytime TV", "Fall Preview" etc. So those might be a good sampler/"in" for new listeners.
Old 02-13-14, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anything longer than around 30 to 40 minutes is asking too much. Most adults don't have much more than that as free time, even in a long commute.
It really isn't. Many popular podcasts (that proper adults listen to) run 60 minutes to 2 hours. Crazy, but when the content is good people make time. Like how some fans of Howard Stern would make time to listen to his show most days, even though it ran for 4 hours or something.

Not to say that longer podcasts wouldn't be appealing to some, but length of a podcast doesn't seem to be much of a turn off overall.
Old 02-13-14, 08:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Many popular podcasts (that proper adults listen to) run 60 minutes to 2 hours.
Although if you take out all the pitches for Squarespace and Stamps.com, the actual running time for most of those is 15-30 minutes.
Old 02-13-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Thanks for checking it out at all and for the feedback, very much appreciated.

I had every intention of this thing being 30 minutes or less, but then once I got recorded they all seem to naturally be about 70 minutes.
I agree that the length is a barrier to entry for me. 20-30 minutes at the most for a topic like this is what I'd recommend.

TWIT and iPad Today are favorites of mine, and those run longer (usually around 45-60 minutes if you FF through commercials), but they cover multiple topics and keep switching it up.

You'd be better off saying "This podcast we're looking at 1983 Monday Nights," and really dig into that, covering Mondays on all channels on both seasons in 1983, with facts and interesting tidbits, along with times when shows were preempted.

It's your show, but making it easier to digest would increase your viewership, I'd think.
Old 02-13-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good insight, thanks so much. Hopefully the more I do the better and more focused it'll get.
Old 02-13-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Heeeeeeeere comes X!
Old 02-13-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

In other news I updated my facebook status.
Old 02-13-14, 05:51 PM
Cool New Member

I enjoyed the show. I like the enthusiasm for TV, that's how I was growing up too. My best friend was the glowing box in the corner of the living room. Except I always had to battle the rest of the family for what I wanted to watch (it was never the same). So I always remember the agonies of having to choose. Good show though.

I however did like Urkel.
Old 02-13-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Although if you take out all the pitches for Squarespace and Stamps.com, the actual running time for most of those is 15-30 minutes.
Don't forget the free Audible trial!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.